Discussion Forums - Book Bazaar Book Bazaar

Topic: **Buying or Selling Book Credits? READ THIS FIRST**

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 10/20/2016 5:16 PM ET

You seemed to be saying the owners shouldn't give an explanation because it's such a small portion of people affected. But, if that small portion of people accounts for the majority of swaps, then why shouldn't they honor us with an explanation and response? If that's not what you meant then I apologize that I misunderstood. 

Date Posted: 10/22/2016 5:45 PM ET

I think the problem with credits being 3 bucks each is that actually a book is not in fact 3 bucks each. You have to factor in the cost of the membership and the fee paypal takes every time you buy credits not even including myriad other fees pbs charges assuming you use those extra services. Hopefully the site lasts, even if on a smaller scale, because a lot of people still get joy out of it but yeah they effectively made getting books here more expensive than off amazon (not to even mention used bookstores) with this call. They probably won't lose a lot off this particular decision because not a ton of people use Book Bazaar but a lot of the heaviest users do and I think it won't prove to be a smart decision long term. 

Last Edited on: 10/22/16 5:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 10/22/2016 11:01 PM ET

I loved buying the cheap credits, but I also understand the economics behind making them at least the same price than postage. So $2.61 would be fair, as almost all of us use and re-use packing material ;-)

A question maybe a bit out of context. How can PBS itself sell credits? They are selling books (=credits) that the members, of which many pay membership fees, list for free. That is something I never understood. Can somebody explain, please?

Subject: Forced $3 credit sales
Date Posted: 10/26/2016 5:12 AM ET

I agree with all the folks who believe that this is a bad move for all their well articulated reasons. I've been hanging around here for quite a number of years and have been dismayed to see that those running the site have beem moving more and more into a mercenary position. It used to feel like a friendly swap site,and while I did not like to see the postage and PBS fees go up steadily, I consoled myself that PBS, at least was not doing this to make money. Initially, the small fees were reasonable and most folks could afford to participate. I have purchased credits for as low as $2.20 and was glad to pay the money, as I am sure the sellers were pleased with the sale. I simply could not afford to purchase the higher priced PBS costs. Then came the membership fees which I eventually coughed up but was not very happy about. This last decision was, however, much harder to accept, as it dictates the price members are being forced to charge for their credits. That seems to be crossing a line of control that should belong to PBS members. These are, after all, their credits. This arbitrary decision is quite disheartening, especially for those of us who are on fixed incomes and have historically welcomed PBS as an affordable place to trade books. When Angie's list became too greedy, someone stepped up and figured out a way to offer the same thing without any charges at all. As a result, folks went to the other site. At what point folks will be seeking other book swaping places will be up to each individual member, but I, for one will begin to do some Googling. I do not say this with malice, however, I do believe a line of member control has been crossed regarding the forced charge for members to sell credits. It was a good system that made members happy to get deals...for the buyer as well as the seller. Why interfere with something that has worked very well, except to make more money? Was this decision really necessary? I do hope that you will reconsider this move. I believe members who have gone along with all the other increases will see a willingness on your part to admit that this was a poor decision and would remain loyal to PBS. I respectfully ask you to revisit this decision.

Last Edited on: 10/27/16 1:11 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 10/26/2016 8:53 AM ET

I have excess credits to sell, and popped into the BB to find things here have changed significantly.  I was encouraged to see that my credit value was greater than I anticipated, and that there was so much activity on the posts of people selling credits on the new price... until I went in and looked, and saw that it was only the Original Poster saying, "Bump... bump... credits still available..."  So now it seems hardly worth posting the credits, as it appears the odds of unloading them are pretty low.

Subject: Mods Silent
Date Posted: 11/3/2016 2:50 PM ET

Mods of the site never have commented on their forced changes since they made them nor do they ever answer emails.  Very sad :( 

Date Posted: 11/26/2016 11:42 PM ET

Almost all of the posts are credits for sale , I dont see many book deals. I thought that this forum was for deals. I wish they had a different forum for credit sales.

Date Posted: 12/11/2016 12:32 AM ET

Is it all right to ask for gift cards to places besides Amazon (such as Best Buy, Olive Garden, etc) as long as the price is at least $3 per book credit?

FeeGee - ,
Date Posted: 12/21/2016 5:57 PM ET

I am going on 98 years old and I LOVE pbs!!!!  There are several ways to deal with our problem of price of credits and postage. Such as- Only sell hardcover books by twos.  I try to order at least two books per order so -you get your postage paid that way- but not much toward theprice of the great books you are mailing to me.

I think it is time you told me that you have a special bookcase I may order a book from when I have ordered  1?-better 2? paperbacks. Now, you are in control, but I have a great option! - That fabulous, like new, hardcover book "God's Secretaries" -The Making of the King James Bible- is within my reach!

.I do not hesitate a moment-and only breath again when the deal is done!  If pbs can not discriminate between the value of books, we , the book buyer, and  you the book seller- must!!  Have a great day and Holiday Greetings!! feegee

Date Posted: 3/13/2017 3:58 PM ET

I think every one should have the right to sell their credits at what ever price they want. I think PBS is getting to expensive for me and I will be re thinking my membership when the time comes to renew. PBS you will be loosing a lot of senior  members over this rule, And that is really a shame.

Subject: Please have a separate forum for credit selling
Date Posted: 4/24/2017 11:48 AM ET

I second Leann's suggestion. PLEASE have a separate forum for selling credits. So many are selling credits, it's hard to find the posts that are for books.

Thanks! 

Subject: paypal and book cedits
Date Posted: 6/1/2017 2:30 PM ET

When paying with PayPal for credits I am asked quite often to use the family and friends option because it forces me to pay up to 6.00 more[paypal charge for sending to friends and family.] 

Or do we use the paying for goods which will charge the seller. Since we are technally buying goods I feel we should not have to pay that extra price but there are some people that insist. 

I think there needs to be a decision by PBS on which to use. If we use the buying option we are protected with buyer assurance through pay pal but the friends and family option gives us no protection. Thanks so much and I hope we can get some clarification.

Date Posted: 6/28/2017 7:48 AM ET

Since all member's credits will now be $3 can we please get an ongoing thread where members selling can just post to that 1 thread how many they have to sell & clear up the book bazaar of all the members selling the same thing at the same price?

Just re-posting this great and overdue idea.  Please make it happen, the Book Bazaar is a mess!  Please create a Credit Bazaar.

Date Posted: 7/11/2017 2:04 PM ET

Stephanie  , I have been wanting that to happen for along time.

I would really like to sell my 10 credits , any amount up to 10 for amazon GC

Last Edited on: 7/11/17 2:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: