Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Cancel book sent to wrong address

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
k4ijq avatar
Jack M. (k4ijq) - ,
Standard Member medal
Subject: Cancel book sent to wrong address
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 9:20 AM ET

Unfortunately, after a label is printed, the print label button just changes color instead of changing text to "Printed".  Therefore, many times I find that with multiple books outgoing I have reprinted the wrong label.  This time I missed it and sent the book to the wrong address.  Is there a way to cancel the request after the book is shipped?  I don't mind losing the credit but do not want the requestor to be penalized in any way.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 11:17 AM ET

Jack - what normally happens is that the requester will send you a PM saying they got the wrong book, and if you sent their book to someone else you'll get another PM saying the same thing. You can do a couple of things. You can ask each of them to send the book to the right person and send each a credit to compensate them. You can ask them to send the books back to you so you can re-send (again it will cost you a couple of credits). You can also send a PM to each of them letting them know that you accidently sent the wrong book to them, and to let you know and then you can do the above about having them send books to right person.  I've accidently sent books to the wrong person a few times, and usually everyone is fine and they're happy to send the book on to the right person for you as long as you send them a credit to do so.  Good luck. Pat

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 11:27 AM ET

In addition to Pat's great suggestions, you can also use the Contact Us link and ask the PBS Admins to cancel the mismailed transaction for you. That way the person who won't be getting a book will either get it from someone else, or it will go back on his wish list without him having to wait the full 26 days. Before you do that, you should PM both people and let the first one know that he won't be getting the book from you, but you are asking to have the transaction canceled so he may see a new request for the book on his My Account page; while also letting the other know that he'll be getting two books and you don't want the wrong one back. 

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 11:55 AM ET

This is the EXACT reason why, after I print the label and wrap a book, I then mark it mailed immediately, and then print the next book's label.

No confusion.

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/18/2019 10:44 AM ET

It's also why I only mail out one book a day, even if I have several requests. Usually, I'm able to accept the requests over a period of time, one a day, so that I don't screw up the addresses.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/20/2019 6:30 PM ET

If i have multiple requests, I print the wrappers and put them inside each book as I print.  When I go to wrap them, the appropriate wrapper is with each book.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2019 7:16 PM ET

Diane !   yes

That's exactly what I've done when I've had multiple requests.  No problem at all!