Discussion Forums - Pets/Animals

Topic: Need Cat medical advice please !

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Need Cat medical advice please !
Date Posted: 2/15/2009 8:25 PM ET
Member Since: 2/17/2006
Posts: 349
Back To Top

Ok I have two cats, both have come down sick in one day.
No vet this time of night, one of the cats face is swollen up bad, and eyes watering, the other eyes are running bad.
What can I do for them tonight? They will be at the vet tomorrow morning, what can I do right now. I usually know what to do for my dogs but I am lost with these cats. They are both 13 and 14 years old.

Date Posted: 2/15/2009 9:11 PM ET
Member Since: 5/6/2008
Posts: 5,411
Back To Top

If you changed cat litter, change it back.  If you feed them canned food, throw the last can you opened away.  If they have been exposed to anything new in or out of the house, put it away.  Check for anything on the ground outside, like antifreeze, if they go outside.  It seems that whatever it is, they both were exposed.  These are just a few ideas, I have never run across anything like that.  Hopefully someone else may have an idea.  Let me know how it turns out.

Date Posted: 3/4/2009 5:14 AM ET
Member Since: 9/18/2008
Posts: 388
Back To Top


I hope you were able to get them to the vet and that they are okay.  For future reference, you can give a cat 1 tablet of Benadryl (or the generic) if they are having an allergic type reaction (which is what this sounds like) about every 6 to 8 hours for mild allergic reactions.  Any trouble breathing is a life threatening emergency and they should be taken to the vet immediately.  You should at least speak to your vet and okay giving your animal Benadryl first as if your cat is on medication or has any previous issues with certian drugs you shouldn't give them anything. 

You can 1/2 or 1/4 pills for smaller animals (one Benedryl is 25mg and should be given to animals 10 lbs and over-up to 25 lbs).  You have to pop it down their throat as they will drool profusely if they chew on the tablet or get it stuck in their mouth. 

It's best to figure out what is causing the allergic reaction if at all possible as somethings are life threatening and require immediate vet attentiion including but not limited to: spider bites with swelling, drinking anti-freeze or eating rat poison (windshield washer is similar to anti-freeze), eating poisonous plants, drinking cleaning products or chemicals, anything that causes difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat or seizures.  See your vet is the ideal but I hope this helps for future reference.


Date Posted: 3/4/2009 10:36 AM ET
Member Since: 2/17/2006
Posts: 349
Back To Top

I am sorry I forgot to post. It turned out to be sinus. I have had to treat three dogs and three cats, plus myself. Sinus of all things, Thank God that was all it was. Thanks for all the advice.