Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Civil War Romances

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
belldandelion avatar
Subject: Civil War Romances
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 1:22 AM ET

Perhaps you can help..

There was this book I read, oh had to be about 8 years ago and fell in love with.  Lord knows where the copy I had went to, I had found it abandoned at my grandpa's house and claimed it as my own.  I can't remember the name or author though.  I do remember it had a bright pink cover with one of those over-the-top smootchy couples on it.  Storywise, what I remember is that a yankee soldier who took possession of this southern belle's plantation.  The plantation or town was called Ash-something (that I could be wrong :P).  Anyways, he ends up leaving and she ends up pregnant.  She's held captive in a barn at gunpoint at one point and ends up going into labor.  Daughter's name starts with B...I want to say Bess, Bethany or Beth - something like that.

I know that sounds really, really, disjointed and I'm sorry.  It's been so long since I've read it that it's kinda foggy in the back of my head.  I promise you that I'm not crazy - well, not in this regards anyways :P

Any help in trying to solve this mystery would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much for you time in reading this rambling from the crazy lady after midnight. :)

rubberducky avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 8:53 AM ET

I swear I've read other Civil War era romances, but right now, the only one I can think of is Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss, and I'm pretty certain that's not it.

sherron avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 9:23 AM ET

The book you described has some similarities to Heather Graham's book One Wore Blue.