Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Cover Picture/Art Question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bast avatar
Bast -
Subject: Cover Picture/Art Question
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 6:34 AM ET

I've been trying to scan covers for those books I list without them.

I just listed a book (California Crazy) that appeared with a white box instead of the  usual 'No Cover Available' notice. I wanted to upload a cover for it, but I don't get that option (when I click the white box (where the cover art usually is) it just makes it bigger. :) What can I do about this?

ChicagoCubs avatar
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 6:49 AM ET

There is a link at the bottom of each page (Upload Book Covers) that you can click on and upload any book covers you have.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 7:49 AM ET

The white box is some kind of corrupted file, use the link like Kristen says, and the ISBN for the book.

Thanks for uploading images! 

Bast avatar
Bast -
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 6:06 PM ET

Thank you!!

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 7:57 PM ET

Bast, let me know if in a week that cover is not fixed. If there is a problem, you should get a msg, but if not and it doesn't fix, please send me a PM.

debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 1:13 PM ET

How long does it generally take for cover art to be approved?  I uploaded an image on Saturday for a book that I posted in which I had to fill out all of the book data (the ISBN wasn't listed yet in the system).

-Deb

sarradee avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 3:56 PM ET

How long does it generally take for cover art to be approved?  I uploaded an image on Saturday for a book that I posted in which I had to fill out all of the book data (the ISBN wasn't listed yet in the system).

Well, the honest answer is that it takes as long as it takes, all the approvers are volunteers and we work on the approvals when we can.  For instance, I hardly ever have free time on weekends and one of the other gals usually does hers in the middle of the night when her kids are in bed.

Usually it takes not more than 48 hours and your image if approved should be posted, (but it could be longer).  There is a problem with the database where some images just will not take.  If you submit an image and don't get notified that it wasn't approved or see the image posted after about a week you can pm Sherry (royaltech) or me and we'll see if we can figure out the problem.  If it's one of the books where the image just doesn't take we need to submit a report and have it fixed by the database guru.

Oops I forgot to add - the image submissions need to be made using the Upload Book Covers link - not the Edit Book Data link.  Images uploaded using the Edit Book Data link do not make it into the approval queue. 

Last Edited on: 7/23/07 3:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
EasyForTheEyes avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 8:09 PM ET

Which reminds me....Since the images don't make it into queue from the Edit Book Data screen, why is the option still on the screen?  I never upload more than one image at time so it's always a temptation to use the EBD screen since I usually am also editing data for the book.

royaltech avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 9:09 PM ET

Well, the best answer I can give you, K. S., is that some changes are more important than others. And since I know how many bug reports I personally send in, and I have a fair idea of the amount of time it takes to figure out what is causing some of them, and then making sure that the changes you make for that bug, doesn't affect anything else in the system adversely. I know that sometimes you just have to overlook some of the problems that don't keep the site from running smoothly, and effect the least number of people.

All I can tell you is that it has been submitted, and I would imagine that SOMEDAY it will either go away or be fixed. hahahaha

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 9:28 PM ET

I uploaded book covers on Saturday night and today they are showing up.  Not a bad turnaround time!

Dogdoc avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2007 9:35 PM ET

I did some over the weekend and they're showing up today, too!  Thanks to all you volunteers!   :)