Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: A fair ammount of wishlist books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
chloe-f avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: A fair ammount of wishlist books
Date Posted: 10/12/2016 10:08 PM ET

I have twenty two wish list books that I've accumulated both paperback and hardcover I'd like them to go to someone who can mail them out to those on the respective wishlists. I live in west Seattle (Washington) so someone local ideally, who could pick them up. If you are an individual able to do so please contact me so that I can hand them off to you free of charge.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2016 5:03 PM ET

Please help me understand what is the difficulty with mailing them to people who have them on their wishlists?  Is it a question of your time? postage money? already have too many credits?

chloe-f avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2016 6:25 PM ET

A bit of both, beyond that twenty I have another twenty I'd like to get rid of plus about 15 I held in reserve for myself. I have about 23 credits right now so there isn't a dire need for me to be mass mailing and I'd just like them to go to people who have been wishing for them.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2016 10:12 PM ET

Chloe, I get it - I had that situation a few years ago - too many credits, no need to spend more money to mail more books for credits I didn't need. I really wanted them to go to PBS members who wanted them rather than just donate them somewhere.  Have you checked the PBS Local Book Club Chapters forum to see if there happens to be a chapter near you that you could attend?  I used to be able to go occasionally to the chapter nearest me and I took a bunch of the WL books there and gave them the other PBS members who wanted them - either for themselves or to post for credits.  I also was able to give some to a friend where I work that joined PBS after I told her about it.   She didn't have many credits and was happy to have free books to mail out to earn a few more credits.  Hope you can find a way to pass them on to others here.  If not, don't feel too bad about just donating them somewhere if you need them gone from your home.

sandi00 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2016 11:32 PM ET

That's a great idea, Tibben, about finding a local chapter.  That shouldn't be too hard since Chloe's in Seattle.  Best of luck to you, Chloe! :-)

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2016 6:59 PM ET

Hi Cloe,

If you mail them all to one person and they could mail to people on their wish list. It would cost you a lot less in postage then mailing them all to indivual people.

chloe-f avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/15/2016 1:11 AM ET
Tibben, while a great idea there apparently isn't a Seattle chapter. Renton is the closest, and since I bus is it's a bit of a long trip with a fair bit to haul with me.

Jean F. while it is a simpler solution I'd still be spending 50-60 at a minimum, so not ideal.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/16/2016 8:34 PM ET

Why not consider giving the books to your library for their annual sale?  Some libraries even have an ongoing sale shelf!  Another method I use is put books in a mini library for someone else to choose to read!

dfh818 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Goodwill or other charity thrift stores
Date Posted: 10/22/2016 3:45 PM ET

my suggestion would be to donate them to charity thriftsore near you.  It would be easy to deliver them to one place.  I love shopping at thrift stores for books and am always delighted to find one on my wishlist and help the local hospital, hospice, goodwill, Salvation Army and others charity stores. I also have donated to our local library for their book sales.

Last Edited on: 10/22/16 3:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
kimberlyrav avatar
Date Posted: 10/25/2016 9:11 AM ET

It would not be 50 to 60 minimum at ALL! You ship them Media, so its gonna be around 12 bucks or so, for 20 books, you get a discount shipping media rate. It may not be 12 may be less. If hardcover than wont be any higher than 20 bucks at all. Ive sent out 15 books before and it was about 8 bucks.