Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: I feel left out

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rubberducky avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/1/2008 8:14 PM ET

Monica - Like I said, I'm 2/3 of the way through it, and I'm having a few problems with it, yes.  It sort of reminds me of Julie Garwood in a way, for one thing:P  Another is there's no darned sex in it.  Or rather, there is some, but you don't really know what it is, just that it's going on...  The heroine cries a little much for my taste too.  Realizing of course that she's had a crap life and has been badly abused by her father,  it's understandable for her to do a certain amount of crying and cringing, but she's just a little passive for my taste. She's got a sword and knows how to use it.  In her shoes, I'd be swatting a few alpha males on the arse.  Barring that, making like a tree and getting the f-- outta there...  All that said, it's still been something of an engrossing read for me, I'm still interested in how it ends, and I really like this hero.

I'll mail the Woodiwiss and your bonus book out to you on Wed.  I'm a little postage cash poor at the moment:P  I think A Rose in Winter is really good, but there's always the issue of the prosy style when you read Woodiwiss.  Her books are very good quality historical romance, but I like plainer language these days.  How many different flowery analogies can one person write for an orgasm anyway?  Well, apparently a lot, come to think of it...

Last Edited on: 2/1/08 8:17 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/1/2008 8:16 PM ET

LOL, I was going to say start a thread about what you're reading if you can't find any discussions on the board to jump into but it looks like you did that already!

I'm not familiar with any of the authors you mentioned.  I only have 2 must buy their book authors at the moment.  Diana Palmer and Fiona Brand.  Everyone else, I have to read an excerpt from the book before I decide if I want to buy it or not.

JuneRose29 avatar
Date Posted: 2/1/2008 9:13 PM ET

Flowery orgasm analogies.......and I wonder why my husband and kids think my reading habits are bizarre ;)

Thanks for all of your recs---i've never heard of Fiona Brand or Diana Palmer.  I've got so many to give a shot....it's like Christmas morning!

Kim -- if you're "postage poor" then please don't feel obligated  to send a bonus book. I'm sure that raises the cost of postage.  I really don't mind if you just send the Woodiwiss at your leisure.

rubberducky avatar
Date Posted: 2/1/2008 11:01 PM ET

Nah, I'll send both.  It's just better for my whole weekly budget thing if I keep my mailings down to 2 times a week.  Thanks for the offer though:)

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/2/2008 12:58 AM ET

I love all of the books by Jude Deveraux , Johanna Lindsay , Betina Krahn , Amanda Quick, Julie Garwood (Her historical romances), Constance O'Banyon, Connie Mason , Victoria Thompson, Rachel Wayne, Katherine Sutcliffe, and Nan Ryan.

louisiana-susan avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2008 7:42 AM ET

Have you every read any Jacqueline Carey?  She has a series "Kushiel", Kushiel's Dart being the first.  It's not a typical romance - it's politics, intrigue, some unusual sex practices but I thought they had really great characters.  I've only read the first book and haven't had a chance to pick up any of the others.

Link to her website

http://www.jacquelinecarey.com/

msdamgoode avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2008 4:17 PM ET

Monica? Ummm, just my opinion, and nothing agaisnt folks who love her, but if I were you and looking for a more literary quality to your books, I 'd stay away from Diana Palmer. Her books are (to me) very formulaic.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/2/2008 10:22 PM ET

I've heard very good things about Jennifer Donnelly's books--The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are the first two of a trilogy.  And I think her other two are stand-alone.  I do think they are pretty epic-ish, so not for those who like them short and sweet :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2008 10:27 PM ET

i would recommend switching to some non-typical romance authors.  hope you find something you like.

my favorite romance book ever is 'the time traveler's wife' by audrey niffenegger. 

my favorite read last year was 'the mermaids singing' by lisa carey (not to be mistaken for 'the mermaid chair'). 

another romance author i love reading is jane green; 'jemina j' was fantastic, and well as 'mr. maybe' and 'to have and to hold'. 

dawn

JuneRose29 avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2008 1:50 PM ET

Thanks for the tip, Dawn.  I have another friend who always says the same thing.  There are great books out there that are listed as fiction with a strong romance base.  I read one by Jane Green that I loved---and I remember Melissa Senate being really good.  Also, I've alway wanted to try Niffennager because of all the hullaballoo when the book first came out.  Thanks for reminding me to do that :)

~Monica

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2008 2:12 PM ET

Some of my favorite romances are the fantasy/science fiction books of Sharon Shinn. _Angelica_ is my very favorite.  No sex, but I don't miss it at all.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2008 2:48 PM ET

Monica's WL and Reminder lists must be pretty darned full by now!  Bet she doesn't have any credits left either after everyone's help!

JuneRose29 avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2008 3:19 PM ET

Seriously Sarah -- It's like......what do I try next?!  I love that feeling :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2008 7:43 AM ET

MONICA

I KNOW EXTACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!

I've basically given up being on here as i just can't seem to get into the same books most  drool over on here...an it seems EROTICA is a big deal on here now :(

I too am re-reading my favorites over and over and the authors are just plain old bad lately or just to much into kinky sex booksw/alternative type reality (vampires, some kinda creature lol!!)

Even the  historicals are getting medioacre and with rising prices i just can't bring myself to  pay for them..

Anyways some nice ones were already mentioned by others.

lavyrle specer ...years

penelope williamson....outsider

sandra brown.......honor bound , another dawn, led astray

leigh greenwood.....cowboy series

lorraine heath........leigh brothers trilogy

handeland/devlin........rock creek six series

sharon sala/dinah mccall..............jackson rule , chance mccall, missing

mckade....................................convictions

madeline bake..................historicals are all good

catherine anderson....keegan's lady

nicole jordan.................the savage

JuneRose29 avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2008 10:36 AM ET

Oh Roselin -- doesn't it just stink when you can't delve into a book and want to pick it up every chance you get??

I haven't done that in such a long time :(

I've tried some erotica but the story often gets pushed aside because the author is working so hard at getting 2 people back into the bedroom, or bathroom, or wherever ;p

I've gotten some good tips on this thread, so we'll see how it goes.  Thanks for offering me some more!

Last Edited on: 2/10/08 10:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2008 4:07 PM ET

what kind of books are you into?

regency/american /historical/contemporary ?!?

I've tried  to read the erotica stuff too but it's really not what i want to spend my time reading....

If you're into American Historicals I can be of great help lol! ....not  many of us on here....and that  leaves me out of the game loop too, as they sound like a foreign language/film...no clue at all lol!!!

Page: