Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Formatting problems

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Formatting problems
Date Posted: 8/17/2018 11:46 PM ET

just visited the home page and it’s a mess.  The ‘new member just joined’ block is overlaid on top of list of ‘ happening now’ items but there is no info on the new member. Then on left side something else is blocking the view also. Items also coverup the list at bottom of page where you typically find the ‘contact us’ link, etc. 

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2018 8:36 AM ET

It's working for me.  The only thing weird for me is there's a wishlist hold on a book that's been sitting on my bookshelf for several months. So, who knows what's going on.

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 8/18/2018 9:51 AM ET

It also looks fine to me.

Try pressing Ctrl+0 (number zero). If you accidentally enlarged the page, that will reset it to the default size.

If that doesn't work, then Ctrl+F5 will force your browser to get a refresh of all the files that make up the page from the PBS servers. 

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2018 11:17 PM ET

It’s been a mess for a while - but that is when viewing it on my iPad. I rarely land there anymore since it’s not interesting to me, but yes, the boxes do not line  up and there is much overlap. Can’t see what’s underneath but the new member spotlight box is definitely messed up as it has no content and is floating over the what’s happening now list. And that list extends so far down it’s on top of the links section normally at the bottom of the page.  The search for friends online is covered by the review box.

F/function buttons are not available on the iPad; there is a refresh but it doesn’t do more than update to see the latest posts.

Last Edited on: 8/18/18 11:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 8/19/2018 4:45 PM ET

Ahhhhh, I was using an iPad.  Hubby got me a new iPad which I rarely use so I’m not familiar with what is different when using the iPad vs my laptop.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

Last Edited on: 8/19/18 4:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2018 7:36 PM ET

Try using a different browser from your iPad. If you are using Safari, it may not be as well supported as a different browser that you could download and use instead (I don't have an iPad, but if you can download Chrome or Firefox, or maybe even Opera, they may work better with PBS than Safari.)

Websites sometimes need to do extra programming work to support their web page design on certain browsers, so it's unlikely to change unless PBS makes an investment in supporting Safari.