Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Not now function

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Not now function
Date Posted: 1/13/2017 6:51 PM ET

I ddin't realize clicking 'not now' on a WL offer would put it in my transaction archive as a cancelled order. It looks like a bad mark against my account now.

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 1/13/2017 9:39 PM ET

I am sure it is just for tracking purposes to show when it was offered to you and you said no thank you. Not sure why a cancelled request would be considered a bad mark against you. Nothing wrong with requesting a book and then deciding you don't want it as long as you do it within the window allowed for.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 1/14/2017 10:49 AM ET

Well, it appears the archive doesn't differentitiate between whether sender or requestor did the cancellation so total Xs can add up.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2017 2:36 PM ET

Jeanne - if you go to your Transaction Archive, and click on VIEW - it will bring up several options (Books requested by me, books requested from me, etc).  Click on one - then go to TYPE - here there are choices of Canceled by sender, candeled by requester, etc). This will tell you how many books you've canceled, how many were canceled by someone who was going to send a book to you, etc.

In my case - I've been a member since 2007 and 156 books requested from me were canceled by the requester and I (for whatever reason) canceled 60 requests for books.  Books canceled by someone who was to send a book to me was 217 and canceled by requester (me) was 214 and to date I've never been questioned on any cancelations.  Pat

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 1/14/2017 9:18 PM ET

You can also just hover over the red x with your mouse. A little pop-up will tell you whether the request was canceled by sender or by requestor. There is no penalty for canceled by requestor.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 4:54 PM ET

Ok, the hovering works on my laptop, apparenty not on my Ipad.

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 11:39 PM ET

Did this change?  B/c "Not Now" used to place that book on a wishlist hold and offer the book to another member.  But you didn't loose your place in FIFO and you could remove the hold to receive a copy of the book at a later time...and wishers could only use that option once per book.

Last Edited on: 1/16/17 11:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ABCatHome avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2017 11:20 AM ET

Jeanne...is it still on your WL?  A Not Now choice on a WL Offer should still  leave it on your WL, but on Hold....however, it does decline that particular copy of the book.  And those don't look bad on your account...  :)  (But if you find you're declining a bunch of requests in a row, you might want to look at your list and make sure you still want all the books.  :) )

From the Help Center:

The "Not Now" button on a Wish List offer will appear between the "I want this book" buttons and the "I do not want this book" on the offer while it is active on your My Account page.

What it does:

Clicking the Not Now button will decline that copy of the book but KEEP the book on hold on your Wish List, without losing its position in the Wish List line.  The "held" wish will continue to advance in the Wish List line (if it is not already #1) while it is on Hold. 

Then, when you're ready to accept the next offer of the book, you just go to your Wish List, unHold the Wish. To do that:

• click to check the box to the left of the listing on your Wish List, and
  • click UnHold at the top of the list).   

Then wait for the next offer!

Please note:

• Each item on your Wish List will have the "Not Now" option only once - so if you use the Not Now button for a book, the next offer of that book will need to be accepted or declined.
  • There is no option to use the Not Now button retroactively - it is available only during the 48 hours in which the offer is active, on your My Account page.
  • If you are the only one wishing for a book and you use the Not Now button when the book is offered to you:
    • the book will go onto the posting member's Bookshelf and your Wish for the book will go on Hold on your Wish List. 
    • If you unHold the Wish later and the book is still available, it will be offered to you immediately.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2017 11:54 AM ET

It is on my WL on hold now.  This is one of many that are wished for by my 20 yo daughter. We ususally go over the list every January to see if she still wants them, but she had to return to school too soon after we got back from 2 weeks up north over the holidays so this task didn't get done.  And wouldn't you know, right away we got an offer but she decided she didn't want to continue in that series right now.  So I will leave it on hold til spring break when she can look at the list and make a final decision.