Friend's Email: Subject:I have found a book that I think you would enjoy
Fundamentals of Acoustical Oceanography (Applications of Modern Acoustics)
Fundamentals of Acoustical Oceanography - Applications of Modern Acoustics Author:Herman Medwin, Clarence S. Clay The developments in the field of ocean acoustics over recent years make this book an important reference for specialists in acoustics, oceanography, marine biology, and related fields. Fundamentals of Acoustical Oceanography also encourages a new generation of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs to apply the modern methods of acousti... more »cal physics to probe the unknown sea. The book is an authoritative, modern text with examples and exercises. It contains techniques to solve the direct problems, solutions of inverse problems, and an extensive bibliography from the earliest use of sound in the sea to present references.
Written by internationally recognized scientists, the book provides background to measure ocean parameters and processes, find life and objects in the sea, communicate underwater, and survey the boundaries of the sea. Fundamentals of Acoustical Oceanography explains principles of underwater sound propagation, and describes how both actively probing sonars and passively listening hydrophones can reveal what the eye cannot see over vast ranges of the turbid ocean. This book demonstrates how to use acoustical remote sensing, variations in sound transmission, in situ acoustical measurements, and computer and laboratory models to identify the physical and biological parameters and processes in the sea.
* Offers an integrated, modern approach to passive and active underwater acoustics
* Contains many examples of laboratory scale models of ocean-acoustic environments, as well as descriptions of experiments at sea
* Covers remote sensing of marine life and the seafloor
* Includes signal processing of ocean sounds, physical and biological noises at sea, and inversions
* resents sound sources, receivers, and calibration
* Explains high intensities; explosive waves, parametric sources, cavitation, shock waves, and streaming
* Covers microbubbles from breaking waves, rainfall, dispersion, and attenuation
* Describes sound propagation along ray paths and caustics
* Presents sound transmissions and normal mode methods in ocean waveguides« less