Discussion Forums - Caregivers' Forum Caregivers' Forum

Topic: Getting Paid to Care for a loved one

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Getting Paid to Care for a loved one
Date Posted: 3/2/2010 1:04 PM ET
Member Since: 4/19/2009
Posts: 55
Back To Top

My grandmother has reached a time in her life where we have to decide the best course to take care of her.  We all dread the thought of putting her into nursing facility.  So far the biggest argument to put her in the facility is because no one could afford the loss of income to take care of her full time.  I have heard of several people quitting their jobs to take care of a mother or husband and getting paid. 

Does anyone know how does this work?  What is the process to get this going?  Is there a difference between Medicaid and the VA benefits?

Any information would be helpful.


Thank you...

Date Posted: 3/12/2010 7:54 AM ET
Member Since: 2/25/2010
Posts: 9
Back To Top

I am in the same situation. I am a livin caregiver for my mother and am unable to work because of it as she can not be left alone for more than an hour or so for erronds. It is possable I have heard and am investigating it. I was told that such benifits would be available trough Social Security Administration. I have just started looking into this and have no info as of yet but if I do I will post and if you get anywhere please post as well. We are struggling financialy and have applied for food assistance but extra income would be great.

Best of luck,


Date Posted: 3/20/2010 12:06 PM ET
Member Since: 1/20/2007
Posts: 795
Back To Top

Ladies, this is one of my favorite soapboxes.  I don't have any info to share but will take the opportunity to vent a little, please.

What is the difference between what a month in a nursing home costs and what home care would be?  Around here, a private pay patient in a nursing home pays around $5000/month.

Of course home care would vary a lot depending on the situation but I'd bet it's a lot lot less in general.  

I'd love to see something like a "Foster Elder" program started for people who just don't have family of their own left.  There would be some red tape involved and some oversight needed but I'd 

still think it would work out well for a lot of elderly people and the economy.  (just not the nursing home economy, obviously)

Vent over...thanks :)  

Date Posted: 4/1/2010 5:00 PM ET
Member Since: 6/19/2007
Posts: 9,520
Back To Top

In Wyoming, we have a Medicaid program for LTC (Long Term Care) Waiver (Waiver = non medical services designed to keep someone from being institutionalized, such as homemaker, meals on wheels, etc).  There are income guidelines for the client, and enrollment guidelines for the caregivers.  There is a case manager who assess and assignes how many hours of care the client needs and it is all made into a plan of care.  We will not pay the parent to take care of a child, nor a spouse to take care of their spouse, but, otherwise, anyone with the appropriate qualifications for the tasks can enroll and be approved for the caregiver positions.  You might want to check with the Division of Ageing in your state's Department of Health.

Subject: Way back when....
Date Posted: 4/14/2010 11:05 PM ET
Member Since: 4/11/2009
Posts: 1
Back To Top

Back when I was in school we collect in House Social Services after my husband had an accident and was not able to work while recovering.  There

were income and asset restrictions, along with an annul review by a SSA caseworker.  How the program worked was IHSS would pay my husband

for XX hours of work at minimum wage, which he was supposed to then turn around and pay to me or an outside party. This was back in 1986, but I think

the program still exists.  

Date Posted: 5/3/2010 5:44 PM ET
Member Since: 2/2/2008
Posts: 742
Back To Top


I think your best bet would be to talk to someone in your hometown / state about this The. Department of Social Services would be your best bet. It does vary from state to state. I know with Hospice we have caregivers as myself" go to the home and no I do not get paid " Hospice takes care of more than just cancer patients and you didn't mention the health of your loved one,but it never hurts to inquire with Hospice about the situation that your loved one is in. However, our business is more with the time of life left and what disease someone's loved one may have. I volunteer with Hospice, but under the situation of which you have brought up , it would be best if you talked to someone in your state/hometown about your situation and get the correct guidelines / information that you are looking for. As I said it varies from state to state so people from other states than where you are from might not  be able to help with your question / situation or the information in which you are in need of..You should contact the Social Services Administration in your hometown and give them your information and  they'll let you know what / and if there is something that can be done / and what / if anything about how the guidelines of Medicade or Medicare /  works for your loved one.. I wish you the best. There are Volunteers in alot of states that go and sit with people's loved one's. Ask your SS Administration if your state has that. It is free of cost..                       .

  I started out with Volunteer work many many years ago in the nursing homes where loved ones were placed and just forgotten about. I mean literally forgotten about for months at a time...How sad that was to meet Residents put in there and their loved ones dropped them off and then didn't come back since they had someone to" tend to them". Half the time the loved ones didn't even know their own family member by the time they  reared their ugly heads again...Ohhh mom, how are you honey?  What? Who are you??? I've NEVER seen anything as sad as that  IN MY LIFE......EVER!!!  I'd always called them residents and not patients..Patients are at the hospital.

good luck and Blessings Nicole,

Caregiver and lovin it for over 20 years

Subject: my two cents
Date Posted: 6/26/2010 3:10 PM ET
Member Since: 8/15/2007
Posts: 752
Back To Top

In california there is InHome Supportive Services but Gov. Is cutting back people hours that they can not afford to pay bills. Its a shame that the elderly and handicaped are aways the target for cuts when budgets get tight.

Date Posted: 7/16/2010 1:35 PM ET
Member Since: 7/5/2006
Posts: 2,030
Back To Top

Call your county or state Health departments.  Also a SociAL WORKER AT A HOSPITAL MAY BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU INFORMATION.  aLSO TRY gOOGLE.  Not shouting just a stuck key.