Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is there a glossary of some kind here?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Is there a glossary of some kind here?
Date Posted: 8/10/2008 1:17 PM ET
Member Since: 6/15/2008
Posts: 340
Back To Top

I've seen several different terms describing what the different sizes and types of books are.  For instance, the term 'trade size'.  What does that mean?  Are there other terms to describe books?

Date Posted: 8/10/2008 3:13 PM ET
Member Since: 7/7/2007
Posts: 4,815
Back To Top

There is a glossary in the Help Center, under "Glossary" :-)  http://www.paperbackswap.com/help/search.php?terms=glossary



Date Posted: 8/10/2008 5:32 PM ET
Member Since: 6/15/2008
Posts: 340
Back To Top

Thanks for the link.  I learned a few things.

Can anyone tell me about the different types of books?  Such as the one I mentioned in my OP.  What does 'trade size' mean?

Date Posted: 8/10/2008 5:43 PM ET
Member Since: 6/23/2005
Posts: 379
Back To Top

"Trade size" usually refers to oversize paperbacks - the ones that are almost, but  not always, the size of hardbacks (HB) but have paper covers. They're paperbacks, but big (in area) and usually more expensive than

Mass-market Paperbacks (MMPB), which is what you usually get at WalMart or the drug store or in the gift shop at the airport. MMPB is what folks usually think of when you think of paperback books.

DJ = dust jacket; some members have their Requestor Conditions (RC) set to only accept hardbacks with dustjackets (that's not a PBS condition)