Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: Going Green One Step at a Time

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2010 5:33 PM ET
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2010 10:19 PM ET

Same here - I only use the hot for cloth diapers, but my youngest is now 7 and toliet-trained and a few things like that. My washer does have a setting for Cold water and for Tap Cold. I've been using Cold, and hoping that it saves! Tap water here in Texas can often get burning hot, so it would be washinig in hot again! I have thought about setting up a water heater outside and filling it with water so that we could have solar heated water, but the city won't go for it But I do have a clothes line that I use all the time. I had two more, but they rotted and I haven't bothered to replace them yet. Imight not ever - who knows?? :D

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/23/2010 11:33 PM ET

I work for a nonprofit focused on enviro and social issues, some of my colleagues are much more green than I am but I try to do what I can

• Recycle everything
  • Compost foodscraps
  • Reuse any envelopes or mailers
  • Use a space heater sparingly (more likely to put on a sweater since the noise bothers me) rather than an inefficient radiator
  • Take short showers
  • Take the train to work (don't own a car) and take hybrid cabs whenever possible
  • Reuse glass jars for food storage
  • Buy yogurt in reusable jars (take them back and get a credit)
  • Download music rather than buy cds
  • Use reusable bags or put purchases in my enormous purse
  • Use the library and PBS rather than buying new
  • Eat organic when I can afford it
  • Use natural cleaning products - most of the time hot water does the trick
  • Turn off the surge protector when appliances are not in use
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/23/2010 11:42 PM ET

Those are great! We can't get credit for jars and things, so I just recycle them. We are blessed to have a university here which recycles, and opens up the recycling center to the community each workday afternoon for about an hour. I take our cardboard and paper and stuff like that there. It is so easy!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/4/2010 10:31 AM ET

I bought solar powered night light and ship lights.  Now my son has a night light powered by the sun and i keep one in the bathroom so no need to turn on the light. and i keep one in the hallway so we can see our way from the bedroom to the bathroom.  In the beginning I had a hard time remembering to stick them by the window during the day but now i do. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/4/2010 11:07 PM ET

From Freecycle, I picked up some old solar lights for lining the walkway. They are old enough that I have been unable to get them to work more than a few minutes at a time. I am taking them apart: they have an LED light bulb, and a solar panel, and a place for a battery. What can I use these pieces for? I don't know the quality yet, as I haven't gotten them apart yet!, but I would like to re-use them. I love things solar!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/11/2010 12:25 AM ET

Last Edited on: 2/14/13 6:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 3/28/2012 3:52 PM ET

When I'm printing off long articles, I print two pages of the article on each side of the paper so I use half as much paper and less ink is used

Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2013 5:38 PM ET

If you have on old leaky pitcher with a snap-on lid, put dog/cat food or horse feed in it for easy pouring when traveling. It's easier than using baggies and you're not wasting plastic either. 

Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 3/11/2013 10:29 PM ET

For those of you who like reusing, here's a great way to reuse part of a bottle to keep bags closed instead of using clips. 

http://theberry.com/2012/02/15/morning-coffee-39-photos-116/mc-random-4-109/

Last Edited on: 3/11/13 10:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
HausMaus avatar
Date Posted: 3/21/2013 8:13 PM ET
That is so cool, Indigogirl!
Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 5/1/2013 11:54 PM ET

I just found this tutorial on how to make your own dryer balls. I'm going to try it when I run out of dryer sheets.

http://knotsewcute.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls.html

I already use reusable bags for grocery shopping but today I found mesh produce bags for grocery shopping. You can even rinse the produce right in the bag! 

http://www.reuseit.com/store/bags-totes-produce-bags-c-238_242.html

Last Edited on: 5/3/13 5:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
artnomad avatar
Date Posted: 6/4/2013 8:11 AM ET

I decided this year that I wanted to stop using so much plastic.  I started with shampoo.  I tried making my own and was not happy with the results.  Then I started using bar soap on my hair and you know, it works fine.  There is a company that makes bar shampoo and conditioner.  It was expensive and no better really than the castille soap.

I do not like the CFL bulbs.  If the bulb hangs downwards or is within a shade they burn out faster than the regular bulbs and have the mercury problem.

We also live in a smaller house than most middle class Americans today.  We chose a house that has 1400 sq feet and raised two boys here.  I will say it was more uncomfortable than a large house when the boys were here, but they are gone now.  Because we have a smaller house, we bought less things and use less energy.  I close off two bedrooms most of the time and don't heat them in the winter.  We do not have AC.  So in the hot summer days I open windows and fans at night and in the morning when it gets hot, close the curtains windows and doors.  While it may feel a bit stufier, once you open the door, you know it is more comfortable than outside.

Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 6/29/2013 9:07 PM ET

Use old dog/cat food or animal feed bags as trash bags

Indogirl avatar
Date Posted: 11/17/2014 9:22 PM ET

For all you women out there, here's a crochet pattern for reusable "cotton wipes." http://mysweetsomethings.blogspot.com/2012/06/free-pattern-friday-reusable-crochet.html

Last Edited on: 11/17/14 9:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: