Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Help with "Insufficient Address" card I mailed

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Help with "Insufficient Address" card I mailed
Date Posted: 11/8/2010 5:00 PM ET
Member Since: 3/27/2010
Posts: 2,139
Back To Top

Argh! So I sent out a bunch of Thank You cards in the mail last week and got one back today that I'd stamped and forgot to add the recipient's address! It had my return address but just her name. So it's stamped with a big "Insufficient Address Return to Sender" stamp, but the stamp has not been cancelled yet. Can I just add their address under the name and resend? What will happen when the PO sees the giant black stamp on it though? I'd rather not waste the stamp, but you can't just take it off and restick it to another card, right? Dummy me!

Date Posted: 11/9/2010 1:07 AM ET
Member Since: 7/11/2007
Posts: 5,242
Back To Top

You can try removing the stamp although you may have to glue it to the new envelope OR you can put a large blank sticker over the address area & re-write the address correctly.

Date Posted: 11/9/2010 9:31 PM ET
Member Since: 7/30/2007
Posts: 4,275
Back To Top

yes you need to put it in a new envelope and put a new stamp on it. The original stamp payed for the transportation, sorting, markup (putting the IA on it) and delivery.

You made the mistake, You need to pay to correct it.

If you follow the rules you can not take the stamp off one envelope and attach it to a new envelope. stamps are void if glued, taped ro reused in any way.

Date Posted: 11/12/2010 6:25 PM ET
Member Since: 9/11/2005
Posts: 905
Back To Top

Yoou have gotten incorrect advice from the two above.  You can add the correct addrtess to the envelope and I think that you can just mail it. (that's true whether the stamp is cancelled or not.)  If I were in dopubt, I would take it to my post office and give to a clerk, but this is what I have found in the past.  If you have a very non-helpful PO, it might not work, but this is the correct answer, i think.