Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Historical Mystery/Romance, WL Suggestions?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/28/2015 10:45 AM ET

Fourth book in the Renegades of the Revolution series will be published in March 2016:  The Dutch Girl: Renegades of the American Revolution :: Donna Thorland

I also just read the first book in a promising series by Sheri Cobb South about John Pickett, a young Bow Street Runner who teams up with a beautiful young newly-widowed aristocrat, Lady Julia Fieldhust, to solve the mystery of her husband's murder and save her from the gallows.  Good fun, mystery and cross-class romance (at least on his part in the beginning novel).  Series so far:

In Milady's Chamber: A John Pickett mystery (John Pickett mysteries) (Volume 1)

A Dead Bore: Another John Pickett mystery (John Pickett mysteries) (Volume 2) 

Family Plot (Another John Pickett Mystery)

Dinner Most Deadly: Another John Pickett Mystery (John Pickett Mysteries) 

There is also a prequel novella, Pickpocket's Apprentice: A John Pickett Novella

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/28/2015 11:32 AM ET

Also Victoria Thompson's 19th Gaslight Mystery Murder in Morningside Heights (Gaslight Mystery) will be published in May of 2016, and the 5th in Chritine Trent's Lady of Ashes mysteries, Death at the Abbey (Lady of Ashes, Bk 5) came out this month.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Thanks!
Date Posted: 10/28/2015 12:32 PM ET

Thanks for the recommendations, jayelsee. I read "The Weaver Takes a Wife" which was an entertaining romance with humor by Sheri Cobb South, but I didn't know she had a mystery series. I'm definitely going to be wishlisting those.

I follow Donna Thorland on Facebook and Twitter, so I saw the cover reveal of "The Dutch Girl" a while ago, and I must say I really love it. 

Last Edited on: 10/28/15 4:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/28/2015 2:14 PM ET

I haven't read "The Weaver Takes a Wife" yet, but I got it from the library, looking forward to reading it.  I understand there are two more books connected to this one as well.  

I just started book 2 in the John Pickett series.  The first one was entertaining, good mystery with humour.  Will let you know what I think, but enjoying the series so far.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Anne Perrry
Date Posted: 11/30/2015 2:49 PM ET

I just got a beautiful hardcover book of hers from 1/2 Price Books for $1.  It is a Victorian Mystery.  I don't remember reading of her in this blog so I thought I'd stick it in.  I am half finished and have enjoyed this first William Monk book tremendously.  Do any of you have a history of her books?

Sue

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/26/2015 11:50 PM ET

Here are some forthcoming books in several series by authors I like:

Revenge in a Cold River: A William Monk Novel :: Anne Perry.  By the way, Susan, I meant to mention I have been a fan of Anne Perry for a long time.  I have read all the books in her William and Hester Monk series (my favorite) and the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series (if you have ever watched PBS Mystery, you may have seen a few of these books that were made into their mini-series.)  I haven't gotten into her World War I series yet, but will eventually.  There is a 1994 movie, Heavenly Creatures, that is a fictionalized version of Anne Perry's (portrayed by Kate Winslett) early life...kind of fascinating.

I just finished the final book in P. B. Ryan's "Gilded Age" mystery series, A Bucket of Ashes (Gilded Age, Bk 6).  Very satifying conclusion, sad it's it the last one.  I'll miss the character

P. S. I DO NOT KNOW how I got my signature to appear alongside this message instead of underneath it, can't figure out how to fix it.

Last Edited on: 12/26/15 11:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 5:43 PM ET

I recommended this series in a earlier post, and recently finished reading the third book in Sheri Cobb South's "John Pickett" mystery series.  I enjoyed it so much, I bought the next one on Kindle!  The mysteries, and the romance, in these books are light and delightful, thorougly charming.  There's nothing graphic about the romance, but it is very sweet and unlikely, and developing nicely.  The mysteries are intricate enough to be entertaining, but not dark or dismal.  If you are looking for a historical mystery that puts you in a cheerful mood, these are for you.

In Milady's Chamber: A John Pickett mystery (John Pickett mysteries) (Volume 1)

A Dead Bore: Another John Pickett mystery (John Pickett mysteries) (Volume 2) 

Family Plot (Another John Pickett Mystery)

Dinner Most Deadly: Another John Pickett Mystery (John Pickett Mysteries) 

Last Edited on: 1/27/16 5:51 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 6:00 PM ET

They do sound fun, jayelsee. Another one of those series where the romance develops slowly over several books? The same thing happens in the Lady Darby mystery series by Anna Lee Huber, but I stopped that one after two books, even though the writing was very good, because I found them a little too dark and depressing.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 7:22 PM ET

Jayelsee,

I have all of these books on my WL.  I have also looked for them at Half Price Books.  I guess one needs patience.

Sue

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 7:44 PM ET

I was very happy to  find out that my library has "In Milady's Chamber". And "Pickpocket's Apprentice" which is a John Pickett novella, is on Scribd, and so is "A Dead Bore". Yes, I've got a subscription to Scribd, so now I've got 3 different TBR lists: here, on Amazon, and on Scribd. Sometimes I think I spend more time checking reviews and curating my lists than I do reading!

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 7:44 PM ET

Yes, Karin, the romance develops very slowly, but it's so sweet and nicely done.  The contrast between the 'stations' of heroine (smart young widowed aristocrat) and hero (slightly younger, sharp, from-the-streets now a Bow Street Runner and very honorable self-made man) is very interesting and not something I have found much.  And these are 'happy' books.  Susan, I think they are worth waiting for but fortunately for me, my library had the first 3 (and kindle edition of #4 was only $3.99).

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2016 7:50 PM ET

I haven't read the novella yet (The Pickpocket's Apprentice) but I want to.  It's a prequel, the story of how a young John got out of a life of crime on London's streets and became a Bow Street Runner. 

And I just read on her blog that the 5th book "Too Hot to Handel" will be published in June.  (It's already listed here, 3 wishers.  I'll put up a link later today).

Last Edited on: 1/28/16 8:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/14/2016 10:20 AM ET

If you like Ann Granger's Victorian "Lizzie Martin/Ben Ross" mysteries, #6 will be published in October, only 3 wishers now.  It's The Dead Woman of Deptford :: Ann Granger.  The first one in the series is The Companion.  The romance between Lizzie and Ben has developed nicely.

Also I just purchased a $2.99 kindle novella in Sheri Cobb South's "Another John Pickett Mystery" series, "The Waiting Game".  It precedes the next novel Too Hot to Handel (Another John Pickett Mystery) :: Sheri Cobb South which is to be published in late June.

Last Edited on: 5/14/16 10:21 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 5/14/2016 10:52 AM ET

I did like The Companion, but haven't gotten around to reading any others yet, and now she's up to #6? Another series I'm hopelessly behind on! Putting in on my WL though.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/14/2016 11:41 AM ET

"Another series I'm hopelessly behind on!"  Oh, yes, Karin, a familiar sentiment!

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 5/15/2016 11:03 PM ET

Oh, jayelsee!  I just found out that  Ann Granger used to write Regency romances way back in the day, under the name "Ann Hulme". Now I'm going to have to try one of them. 

Also, here is a new (to me) historical mystery series, recommended by my favorite reviewer on Amazon. Death on the Sapphire

An extraordinary woman living in extraordinary times, Lady Frances Ffolkes is an Edwardian-era suffragette who has an uncanny ability to attract danger and romance. — When Major Colcombe, a family friend and war veteran, dies under mysterious circumstances, the good Lady discovers that he was working on a manuscript about South Africa?s bloody Boer War, which reportedly revealed a scandalous mistake that cost many innocent lives. Now, it?s up to Frances and her loyal lady's maid, June Mallow, to track down the missing manuscript and bring the killer to justice. Despite kerfuffles with Scotland Yard and the British Secret Service, Frances never backs down and finds herself in several very unfortunate positions--and one very fortunate love triangle.

Last Edited on: 5/15/16 11:03 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2016 7:01 PM ET

The R. J. Koreto series sounds interesting, Karin.  I put it and the 2nd one (Death Among Rubies: A Lady Frances Ffolkes Mystery :: R. J. Koreto) on my wish list.

Book 11 in the "Captain Lacey" series, The Alexandria Affair :: Ashley Gardner has been released, and she's working on book 12, " A Mystery at Carleton House, which will bring Lacey back to London with his new family" according to her website.  No publication date yet.

Last Edited on: 5/23/16 7:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/24/2016 7:38 AM ET

And here's the next one in Amanda Carmack's Elizabethan mystery series featuring personal muscian to the queen, Kate Heywood,Murder at Fontainebleau: An Elizabethan Mystery :: Amanda Carmack .  And I just found out that Amanda Carmack is also Amanda McCabe and Laurel McKee!

Last Edited on: 5/24/16 7:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/3/2016 11:13 AM ET

[A Grave Celebration (Lady of Ashes Book 6) :: Christine Trent, next in the "Lady of Ashes" series, about the Victorian-era lady undertaker.  For some reason, this book doesn't come up under the author's name or the title [edit-it is in her list as of this afternoon] even though it's due to be published in November this year.  I found it by searching for the ISBN I got from Amazon.com (9781944745004).  I'm currently the only wisher.

An interesting tidbit (or at least, for me :) ), the author says the first book in this series was really intended to be a stand-alone, but her publisher asked her to consider making it the first in a historical mystery series.  Knowing this, I think you can tell the first book was intended to be a one-off.  There is definitely a mystery in the first book (Lady of Ashes (Lady of Ashes, Bk 1) ) but it's not really written in the "traditional" historical mystery format.  The subsequent books are more in that style.

(P.S., the italics in the last part of the last sentence aren't intended for emphasis or anything, but I can't figure out how to reformat it.  It's not showing up as italicized when I try to do my edit).

Last Edited on: 8/3/16 6:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2016 6:24 AM ET

I really need to catch up with those Amanda Carmack books. The first one is still on my TBR list!

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/27/2016 11:47 AM ET

I just finished reading A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, Bk 1) :: Sherry Thomas  (the first in a new series) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't generally care for remakes of literary characters, with some exceptions, and this was one of the exceptions.  I found the transformation of "Sherlock" (aka Charlotte) Holmes into an engaging female character well-thought-out, and the mystery itself kept my interest.  Looking forward to more.  Also, in the words of one reviewer, "There is also a tantalizing, slow-burn love story between Holmes and a longtime friend befitting Thomas’ skills as a romance novelist…."

Last Edited on: 1/4/17 7:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 12/27/2016 12:36 PM ET

I've heard good things about that book too!

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Regency mystery by Ashley Gardner
Date Posted: 1/4/2017 1:37 PM ET

A boxed set of the Ashley Gardner "Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries" series is on sale for .99! This includes 3 full books plus a novella, so a great deal. 

Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume Two

Last Edited on: 1/4/17 1:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 1/12/2017 10:47 PM ET

A new historical mystery series by Andrea Penrose

Murder on Black Swan Lane

Author Andrea Penrose

tburns0214 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/13/2017 8:31 AM ET

Looks good Karin!  Thanks!