Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Homeschooling books in MD, VA, WV area

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
marissa84 avatar
Subject: Homeschooling books in MD, VA, WV area
Date Posted: 3/9/2010 11:51 AM ET

I have a number of homeschooling books but I don't want to pay shipping to send them to someone because they are heavy textbooks so I was wondering if anyone who homeschool lives in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, by Hagerstown Maryland, Winchester Virginia? If so and you are interested in some or all of them maybe we could work something out.

If not does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do with them?

They are most for middle school and high school age. They are all in good to great condition. Somne are like brand new. They are from a smoke free home.

Thanks for any help.

JCCrooks avatar
Subject: reply
Date Posted: 3/9/2010 12:17 PM ET

USPS Media Mail to ship texts doesn't vary by how far it's going within the U.S.  It goes by weight alone, and the cost goes up for each additional pound.  The first pound is $2.38.

I'd post those that are 1 lb, 15 oz (with packaging) on your bookshelf.  They'll cost $2.38, similar to any other book over 7 ounces.  For the rest, I'd offer them free with an order of X number of books from your shelf...you pick the number.

You could also list them on HomeschoolClassifieds.com.  You could list the price w/o shipping, or figure at least $3 for each one (depends on how you package them...I'd go $4 if you use bubble wrap, boxes, etc.) and post the price with shipping included.

Does your local HS group have a yearly swap sale?  Do they have a local swap group, on Yahoo Groups or the like?

You can also send them into Chegg.com.

If all else fails, list them on Craigslist or Freecycle.

JC

marissa84 avatar
Date Posted: 3/9/2010 1:58 PM ET

Have you ever used  Chegg.com??? I would hate to send my books there and no get paid for them. I never heard of them before.

Marissa

marissa84 avatar
Date Posted: 3/9/2010 2:43 PM ET

Nevermind it really doesnt matter because some of the ones I put in there I wont get anything for. I might just break down and post them on here.