Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: How should I handle this?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: How should I handle this?
Date Posted: 7/19/2010 6:38 PM ET
Member Since: 9/22/2007
Posts: 187
Back To Top

What's the best way to handle this situation?

I requested a book on 06-26-10.  The next day, I got this personal message: 

  • i had to set this as accepted but wont be able to mail it out until next week when i get paid, and will have to set it as send before then. also,  since this is a cookbook it is very heavy and will cost me more to mail it, so if you dont want to wait a week, please cancel before i wrap this, thanks

I said I was willing to wait.  Then on 07-02-10 the owner sent this message:

  • I had to mark this mailed before they cancel the order but I wont get paid until next week. so if you still can wait, please let me know before I wrap this book for mailing. as soon as I do actually mail this, I will email you again to let you know, thanks for waiting

I responded and said that would be okay.

On 07-14-10 I got this message:

  • sorry this is taking so long to send, I am in the middle of going to college and I only get paid once a month. If you can't wait until the beginning of the month for me to send this, then I will give u the ISBN # to check in this book and I will send you back your credit, if not, please be patient and I will send this out definately next month, thank you

I responded:  I'm a little confused. You asked if I could wait for you to mail the book until you got paid LAST week. Now you're asking if I can wait until the beginning of NEXT month when you get paid?

Owner's next response was:

  • since the cut off date is 7/30 im going to give you the ISBN # to check the book in and I will forward your credit back, please be patient as I have 8 other books to do at once, thanks for patience and sorry to make you wait so long

She's probably a perfectly nice lady but I'm not willing to mark as received a book that I haven't gotten and then wait to see if my credit is returned.  My thinking is to let the mailing time run out but is there a better way?



Date Posted: 7/19/2010 6:45 PM ET
Member Since: 8/25/2007
Posts: 13,134
Back To Top

 I'm not willing to mark as received a book that I haven't gotten and then wait to see if my credit is returned. 

Absolutely right!!  I'm not sure what the best course of action is here.  Someone with more knowledge will likely give you an answer.  That member needs to put her shelf on hold if she is not able to mail books within the required time. 

Date Posted: 7/19/2010 6:46 PM ET
Member Since: 12/31/2009
Posts: 3,995
Back To Top

This is ridiculous. She shouldn't be posting books PERIOD. Just let it time out, you'll get your credit back, and you can reorder it from someone normal. She should not be giving YOU instructions on how you should be handling HER problems. SHEESH!

Date Posted: 7/19/2010 6:53 PM ET
Member Since: 7/23/2006
Posts: 15,930
Back To Top

Send this into the team - If she's marked it Mailed and admits she hasn't mailed it, they can cancel the transaction for you and return your credit.

Date Posted: 7/19/2010 7:27 PM ET
Member Since: 7/31/2007
Posts: 2,695
Back To Top

yes, definitely forward this to TPTB.....

Date Posted: 7/19/2010 7:33 PM ET
Member Since: 4/25/2007
Posts: 11,670
Back To Top

Yep, let the team take care of this one.  Absolutely do NOT mark anything received that you don't have.

This member should not be posting books if she can't send them out within the PBS timeframe.  It's incredibly generous, you can push it out like 10+ days before having to mark anything mailed if you wait until day #5 to accept the request and choose the last mailing date.

Date Posted: 7/19/2010 7:49 PM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

I'm wondering why she keeps offering to send you the ISBN.  YOu already have that from the listing. 

It must be close to goign lost at this point.  I would let it go lost adb then PM her not to send the book because it's back on your WL.