Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: how do they do that?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: how do they do that?
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 9:29 AM ET

occasionally I post a book to my shelf and the book has no other ones in the system and nobody is wishing for it. so mine becomes the only one in the system. I wonder when that happens frequently somebody requests the book within a few minutes of my posting it. Is this related to the reminder list in some way? It seems like people are waiting for a book but not wishing for it but they know when it appears. I guess this could be a random chance but it has happened to me several times. Are people getting some sort of notice when a book appears?

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 10:59 AM ET

It's possible that they had a book similar to yours on theie WL and therefore got a "Similar to Wish List" email, causing them to quickly order your book.

Poncer avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 12:03 PM ET

Members may also be watching either the Books Posted Today feature or Under the Hood. Both features are great ways to browse for available books

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 2:00 PM ET

And yes, the Reminder List...I check mine frequently and get many books that way.

Last Edited on: 9/28/16 2:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 2:11 PM ET

Also some of us have signed up for Daily Digest emails.  Each morning there's an email with a link to my daily digest showing all the books in my preferred genres which were listed in the past day.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2016 3:56 PM ET

Hi Charles, 

Like all the above responses, I think it's well....actually all the above!

I have a Wish List at 500 books, I also have a Reminders List of over 7,000 titles that I would like to have and that there are no current copies of.
If you post a title or ISBN that is on my Reminders List I will see it available as soon as you post it. When I log-in (5, 10, or 20 times every day) the 1st place I go to is my Reminders List - if you posted something and I want it, then I want it ASAP before someone else orders it. I also check my Reminders List as the last thing I do just before I log-out because you never know when someone, somewhere will post a book you really want.

Monday I got a notice (email) from PBS that a book similar to one on my Wish List had just been posted and that if I was interested in it I should i.e. 'take a look' - I did (look) and I did (order it). It was the same book (PB) on my WL but under a different ISBN - that was a good day! 

When I ordered that book I went to the members Bookshelf and found another book that was on my Wish List but under a different ISBN as well - double luck!

When I first joined up with PBS I used to browse the previous days, as well as the current days postings - a lot of the time I was too late to order a particular title as it had already been taken by another member, so I would just add it to my ever growing Reminders List. Sometimes I was lucky and the books (s) just posted was still available. I no longer view or keep track of books just posted as I've got plenty to watch for on my Reminders List. I've ordered over 6,000 books and have become a little more selective on the titles I'm looking for. 

Keep Posting Charles! We all appreciate getting the books we are looking for. 

Danny N (Alameda) - Havelock NC 

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2016 6:10 PM ET

That happens to me a lot too. I think Sheryl has it right.

--plus some people have their 500 WL full so use another way to watch for other books they want.