Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: How's your May reading coming along?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: How's your May reading coming along?
Date Posted: 5/14/2013 9:49 AM ET

I love reading many books at one time. However, it's really slowed up my challenges: I'm still reading Mill on the Floss by George Eliot.

The wonderful thing is, though, that I'm loving this book! I've read a couple other books by Eliot--Silas Marner (which I'd read in high school, and enjoyed--but, having re-read this novel last year, I'm aware that the version I'd read in school was much abridged, and hence, BETTER), and the often-cited Middlemarch, which was amazingly dull (at least, to me).

But Mill on the Floss sparkles, has life--is clever! Hooray!

But anyway, that's what I'm reading for my classics challenge. What about the rest of you?

Rose

Last Edited on: 5/14/13 9:50 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
sevenspiders avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2013 9:51 AM ET

I have my copies of Anna Karenina and Invisible Man but I'm being a giant lazy slug about starting them because they're loooong and have looooong wooooords.  But this mood shall pass.

Last Edited on: 5/15/13 9:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/16/2013 10:31 AM ET

For espionage I am reading an old classic, Greenmantle, by John Buchan. The hero is a goody-goody, but the action is the tops.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2013 12:59 PM ET

I finished Uncle Tom's Cabin, or, Life Among the Lowly, today, and was once again pondering what to read next.

I rather think I will read Tar Baby, by Toni Morrison.   (1)   She is a Nobel Prize winner from the U.S.A.;

(2) I found Beloved, The Bluest Eye, The Song of Solomon, and Paradise all to be worthwhile books; and

(3) I found a copy of Tar Baby tucked away in my TBR pile.

Last Edited on: 5/24/13 12:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/26/2013 5:47 AM ET

I recently finished an old travel book. Sea and Sardinia by D H Lawrence. Describes a trip he and his wife Frieda took in the 1930's. across the northern edge of Sicily, across to Sardinia. and over Sardinia from the south to the north. by sea back to Italy at Civitavecchia and down to Rome. Mostly talks about the people they encounter. only a little about the landscape.