Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: January Historical Fictions reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
SierraK avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2018 10:36 PM ET

Yesterday I finished The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore.  It's about the "current wars" which happened in the 1890's between Westinghouse and Edison.  It was really fascinating and well written.  

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/18/2018 4:24 PM ET

Last night I started reading The Plague Tales by Ann Benson for the Time Traveler category of the challenge. Benson alternates chapters between present-day and the fourteenth century. Janie Crewe is a surgeon who's getting into another medical field and travels from the U.S. to England for some research on her thesis. Her entry through customs seems futuristic as everyone is being checked for possible diseases they might be bringing in. Makes the TSA look like child's play. The fourteenth century plot features a Jewish physician in Spain who gets caught after digging up a Christian body to do an autopsy. Enjoyed Benson's Thief of Souls a few years back. It's another book set in two time periods, but involving sexual predators.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/19/2018 4:27 PM ET

I'm enjoying The Race to Paris and I've found it a fun and fascinating read.  This is the story of two women who are fulfilling their dream is to report the war and be among the first to get to Paris before it is liberated.  The only problem is they have  to go against the commander's orders to do so.  While the story is fictional it is woven around the historical events of the time.  I like it very much.  I tentatively put the book under sports but it could fit other places, too, including book with a map and death of a primary character.

Last Edited on: 1/24/18 12:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2018 7:56 AM ET

I have opened a new Historical fiction swap 

Historical Fiction Pick  a Spot

All types of Historical fiction are welcomed

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2018 8:39 AM ET

I have started an older historical mystery Satan  in St. Mary's by P.C. Doherty. Set in 1285 England. This is Mr. Doherty's longest series and much loved. Finally getting to it!!

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/22/2018 12:18 PM ET

Just finishing Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwell. General Arthur Wellesley has arrived and the British Army has taken the fight of Napoleon's troops into Spain. Richard Sharpe is under orders of Major Hogan, a map maker and engineer, but they are detailed to the South Essex Battalion under Colonel Sir Henry Simmerson. Simmerson has never fought in battle and is the worst sort of disciplinarian of his troops, who believes in flogging for pretty much any infraction, even minor ones. I'd like to do a lot more than punch Simmerson, but I'll have to settle for using this book for the Sworn Enemy category of the challenge.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 1/22/2018 7:52 PM ET

I'm starting Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer.  Santa was very good to me last Christmas and I received several of Ms. Heyer's  novels as gifts.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 1/24/2018 7:03 AM ET

I have finished Anna Lee Hubard's new series This Side of Murder.  Truthfully I didn't like it that much. I thought the characters were flat and uninteresting. The plot was similar to Agatha Christie's And Then there None.  I have enjoyed her other books, this one just didn't do it for me.

Alice

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2018 9:46 AM ET

I did finish Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer.  It was fun, not one of my favorites but it did have a good angsty teenager in it for the h/f challenge.  Now I have started Keeping Bad Company by Caro Peacock.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2018 8:12 AM ET

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi is a collection of stories following a family through history, finished 1/26/2018.   It begins in Ghana with two sisters who are separated by circumstances, one united with a British soldier, and the other a slave who boards a slaver's ship to be sold to the highest bidder.  The following tales follow their descendants which, in tandam, tells the story of the places where they lived and how the events of the time shaped their lives.  There is hate, there is love, struggles to find a better life, not always successful.  Good read.

Last Edited on: 1/27/18 8:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 1/27/2018 9:26 AM ET

REK that is the book of the month for the historical fiction group on Goodreads. I have it sitting here ready to read in February!!

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2018 1:37 PM ET

Homegoing sounds like a wonderful book. 

Just finishing Sharpe's Gold by Bernard Cornwell. I majored in history in college, but was more interested in the social and diplomatic spheres. Now I'm learning about military history, e.g., the difference between round shot and cannister and that Napoleon insisted that his infantry use muskets instead of the more accurate rifles. I knew that Poles supported Napoleon; their country had been partitioned out of existence by Prussia, Austria and Russia, and they felt that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." However, in this book I see that Polish lancers were fighting with the Napoleonic troops in Spain. Napoleon had huge armies of conscripts, but the British had the best trained infantry in Europe. His cavalry weren't well trained, but now he had the Polish cavalry, which was the best in Europe. Britain, of course, had the best navy, and Napoleon, try as he would, was never able to assemble a decent navy.

Page: