Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: January - Mystery books we are reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 2:42 PM ET

Thanks for the tip about returning Kindle books. I read Bias Cut by Morgan Richter which was an enjoyable mystery set in the fashion industry and free book. I ordered Charlotte Dent by the same author on Kindle and it was WW (world's worst). When I checked I was able to return it for credit. From now on I will always check!  Thanks again Geri. 

Last Edited on: 1/27/17 1:37 AM ET - Total times edited: 5
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 3:35 PM ET

I really like that feature on Kinde when I find I really hate the book!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 6:42 AM ET

So I am trying to fill in my create your own category of the Middle Ages for the historical mystery challenge.

I am reading The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, Bk 5) :: Candace Robb

I haven't read this series in years and found where I left off (I haev all of them). I don't know why I stopped reading it. The series is wonderful. I feel like I am visiting an old friend. Highly recommend but start with book 1.

Book 1 is available in the system to order  - The Apothecary Rose [Owen Archer, Bk 1 by Candace Robb

Last Edited on: 1/27/17 6:44 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 9:10 AM ET

And, The Apothecary Rose is an Unlimited Kindle.  In fact looks like the series is all there too. 

Last Edited on: 1/27/17 9:11 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 11:59 AM ET

Did I find more books for you Geri:)

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 12:58 PM ET

I just finished The Nun's Tale, Book 3, in the Owen Archer series. First one I've read by that author. My library has the whole series in Kindle and I might start at the beginning. Doesn't bother me if I read out of order. I get the gist eventually. Very nicely written and I liked the characters.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 1:13 PM ET

Yes Alice, you're one of my enabers.  smiley

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 4:38 PM ET

Those of you who have read Steve Hamilton's book, Winter of the Wolf Moon, which category would it fit it? I read the first book in this series years ago and enjoyed it and thought I would try this one.

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 4:53 PM ET

I finished reading Fatal Frost (Defenders of Justice Bk 1) by Nancy Mehl last night and enjoyed it.  Came across it at the library the other day and picked it up. First one by this author that I have read even though I have a couple of hers on Kindle. Just never got around to reading them yet. Her style flowed well and easy to read.  This one would probably be classified as romantic suspense,

Joy - you would probably enjoy this one.

Today I started on A Fool & His Monet by Sandra Orchard and already about 100 pages in. The MC is Serena Jones who has just become a member of the Art Crimes Unit with the FBI.  Seems to have some humor thrown in. She is investigating a theft from a museum that her friend works at and in addition worrying that she is being targeted by the bad guys from her first undercover job which is where the book actually started.  On top of that her great-aunt thinks she can be a help by investigating since no one pays any attention to little old ladies.

Both books are Christian fiction.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 10:38 PM ET

Thanks for letting me know about the Nancy Mehl book, Cynthia, I will check them right out.  I absolutely loved the Ivy Towers series she wrote.  'A Fool and His Monet sounds good as well.

I have just read one of the best books in a while.  "A Dark and Stormy Murder' by Julia Buckley.  This is the first book in her 'Writer's Apprentice' series.  Loved the characters, the plot was good, the mysteries to be solved were interesting, and there is one mystery that will be carried over to her next in the series, I think. Thanks, Una!!  I've read the first book in her 'Undercover Dish' series 'The Big Chili' as well and really liked it.  If you haven't read these and love cozies, I really recommend them.

I loved the Eleanor Roosevelt series, too.  I also liked the bits of history to them as well, Geri.

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2017 12:37 PM ET

I've read both of those Joy as well as the 2nd in the Undercover Dish series and liked both of them. Probably liked the Writer's Apprentice better.

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/28/2017 6:24 PM ET

Okaaay, now they're both on my WL also.  LOL  You enablers, you.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/29/2017 8:41 AM ET

I love the Owen Archer series! I had actually gotten the whole series in hardcover as "keepers" to read again, however during my last move when I was culling so many books from my Keeper shelf, I decided to pass them on. I see the author Candace Robb has a new series out, I think only 2 books so far in it or maybe one and one awaiting publication.

I finished up the third Charlie Priest book, The Judas Sheep (looks like Susan will be the recipient of that one!) and am going to start I Shot the Buddha by Colin Cotterill, #11 Siri Paiboun. I have been hoarding that one for awhile but now that I see that there's a new one on the horizon, I'm gonna read it. (I love the names of the books too...the new one will be The Rat Catcher's Olympics. LOL)

Cheryl

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 10:00 AM ET

I'm just about finished with A Fool and His Monet, still liking it.  I didn't read too much this weekend.

Has anyone ever read any books by Gregg Hurwitz? 

I picked up Orphan X (Evan Smoak, Bk 1) :: Gregg Hurwitz at the library last week and started it last night.  So far I'm liking it.  Has some curse words but sprinkled in here and there, not a constant stream.  About 120 pages in so far.  I get a monthly email from the library about their new mystery/thrillers and saw the second Evan Smoak book written up and thought it sounded interesting but figured I would start with book 1.

Last Edited on: 1/31/17 11:53 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 6:37 PM ET

I finally finished "Crown in Darkness" by Doherty.  Set in Scotland around 1286.  The main character is Hugh Corbett.  Now reading on Kindle  "Death at Hull House" by Frances McNamara.  Chicago, 1893 concerning a murder in a Settlement House.  Reading in paper "The Bughouse Affair" by Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini.  Combines two of their characters, Sabina Carpenter and John Quincannon.  Set in San Francisco in the 1890s.  All of these books fit somewhere in either the Mystery or Historical Mystery Challenge.

House news; today I chose appliances, stone for the front and brick for sides and back.  It is really going very fast!!!

Hope everyone is well --- missing some regulars for a day or two!!!  Including me!!!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 7:17 PM ET

Becky, I read The Bughuse Affair some time last year and there are more books in the series, not al written by both

1. Quincannon (1985)
2. Beyond the Grave (1986) (with Marcia Muller)
3. Quincannon's Game (2005)

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 8:35 PM ET

Just finished Entry Island, a stand alone by Peter May.  It took me a long time to finish this book.  Each sentence was so full of poetry and information.  The plot is a double one with a current murder mystery on a island off Quebec and a story that unfolds in a diary kept by the Canadian homicide detective's great-great-great grandfather with the same name.  The diary involves the "clearing" when families were removed from their lands in Scotland during their potato famine and put on ships going to America and Canada and then put in isolation when they arrived. It was cheaper for the "lords" of the estates to raise sheep than rent the land to people.   The ending was surprising and satisfying when it all came together. I wonder if he ever met Gamache.  

I  enjoyed 5 book series by May called Extraordinary People.  Each book describes a notorious murder described as a cold case.  Enzo Macleod, a Scottish biologist teaching in France bets that he can use his expertise to crack the case. 

His 6 story series set in Beijing includes Li Yan,a Chinese detective and Margaret Campbell, an American pathologist.  All of his books are extremely well researched.  Love 'em.

Susan

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 9:58 PM ET

Geri --- there are further books in the "Bughouse" series, four with number five coming out this year.

Susan G --- I read "Black House" by Peter May and it was indeed well written, but oh so depressing!!!  I could not make myself read the other two in the series.  I may have to try one of the other series.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 11:10 PM ET

Finished The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan--I wasn't overly impressed with it, certainly not "award nominee" impressed. Rather predictable in many ways. It was okay but a bit of a relief when it was finally finished--one of the issues I had with it was "too long and clunky." Now going to listen to Outfoxed by David Rosenfelt, #14 Andy Carpenter. And up next on Kindle, Hunting Badger by Tony Hillerman, this seems to be the eighth book of the series featuring both Leaphorn and Chee.

Heading north early tomorrow morning to spend a few days with the munchkins, so I don't know how much reading I'll get done. But excited to see the little dudes as it's been a few months. Marshall just turned 3, so I have a haul of birthday gifts for him, some of which are (of course!) books. laugh

Cheryl

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 11:39 PM ET

After reading such a great book in "A Dark and Stormy Murder,"  I've been through two books I pitched before I even got near the 50 page limit.  The first I was quite disappointed in, the third in the Thea Osborne Cotswold house sitting series.  This one is written in the first person, not by the main character, but by one of the 'bad guys' I suppose, not in the voice of Thea, which threw me to start with.  Then this other person is part of some sort of strange cult, which I didn't like. So, we're done.  Then I picked up the first book in the Emma Fielding archeology series by Dana Cameron, "Site Unseen."  First, I really don't like the MC.  Second, we are treated to paragraph after paragraph of her thoughts, rememberances, feelings, etc.  Then we hit a very bad word, so I pitched that one too. 

Finally I'm reading a safe book, I've read a couple in the series already, 'Guilty as Cinnamon' by Leslie Budewitz.  The MC owns a Spice Shop in the Seattle Market. 

Last Edited on: 1/31/17 11:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/1/2017 10:16 AM ET

February! Reading something by an author you LOVE?

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 2/1/2017 2:31 PM ET

Last Edited on: 2/2/17 12:15 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: