Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: It's January, what are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
SanJoseCa avatar
Date Posted: 1/30/2013 1:25 PM ET

A big thank you to Pattie P. in Live Help. Looks like my computer problems have been solved -- at least for the time being.smiley

tempie avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2013 7:23 PM ET

Just finished Disclosure by Michael Crichton. I am using it for the redux category. From 2011, a book that was made into a movie. This was the first Michael Crichton book I have read. I know I am a little behind. smiley I thought it was pretty good. Even though I have seen the movie and know how the story goes the book still kept my attention.

drw avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2013 2:16 PM ET

I just started Irish Gold by Andrew Greeley.  About 100 pages in and it's good enough to keep me reading.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/2/2013 5:07 PM ET

I am just finishing this one: 

I really like this author.  Contemporary IndianAmerican culture explained and great characters.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Need a new series
Date Posted: 2/15/2013 11:34 AM ET

I love Nora Roberts (read them all) JD Robb (same) Janet Evanovich (read them all) Joan Hess (same) Catherine Coultet (read them too)  looking for a new author to get ebooks to take on a month long trip.  Any ideas?   Not vampire...oh, please NO.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: December and January Reading
Date Posted: 12/30/2013 1:20 PM ET

Hehehe - Pillars of the Earth - with Christmas and travelling it is taking me a month to read this book.  Should have more time now that we are back home.  I motivate myself to exercise and do other household chores by reading... Read a chapter, do a job etc. and so forth!  How about you?

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 1/10/2014 10:48 AM ET

The Midwife's Confession
Author: Diane Chamberlain

This is a real page turner.  I wasn't really interested but picked it up to keep it moving on the fifo line, and then I couldn't put it down.  Good story, pretty good characters but great plot.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/10/2014 7:04 PM ET

I just read Louise Erdritch's Round House. I know it won a prize, but it could have used some major editing, IMO.

No more Erdritch for me.

Rose

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/11/2014 5:13 PM ET

LOL, did you guys realize you resurected the January thread from last year?

I just finished School of Essential Ingredients, loved it!!  A thought provoking book with a simple plot, more character study than action.

SanJoseCa avatar
Date Posted: 1/14/2014 4:23 PM ET

LOL!  I was so surprised to see this!  At first, I wasn't sure what happened until I saw last years date.  Last year a PBS member e-mailed me and "suggested" that I NOT start anymore monthly "what are you reading" threads.  She explained that she felt there wasn't a need for them and that the challenge thread was enough for the "under used" Contemporary fiction forum.  After 5 e-mails from her, I promised I wouldn't.  Such a shame.....I love Contemporary fiction and read a lot of it (I don't do challenges)  I often wondered why no one else starts the monthly threads, or so few of them........perhaps they have also received these e-mails?

Carole,

I also read and loved THE SCHOOL OF ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS.  It was a wonderful combination of food and characters and how through the power of preparing food, one is able to find comfort.   A sentimental, feel good novel!

Last Edited on: 1/25/14 9:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 1/14/2014 6:00 PM ET

Oh good grief, don't let one member bully you into not starting new threads.  So what if she doesn't like them, she doesn't have to post.  I'll talk with you anytime you want to, ya hear?  Start all the threads you like! 

I participate in the challenges, but I don't always get them done.  I just look at it as a way to get me motivated, and if I finish, great, if I don't, not a big deal.  Either way, I get more reading done out of the cozy mystery category I usually find myself in.

SanJoseCa avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2014 3:06 PM ET

Thanks Carol,  I didn't feel like she was bullying me....too much, LOL!  More than anything else, I was curious if others have received this request too.  Besides, there are many other places to post.

Obsessed, I have ROUND HOUSE on my reading list....I may take it off, too many other good books to read!

Judith,  I also use reading time as a reward.  If I didn't, I would never get anything done......only read!

megt avatar
Date Posted: 1/16/2014 1:07 PM ET

Pamela – I love Diane C’s books, and that one was really good.

I am struggling through Jodi P’s The Story Teller.  I really don’t like her writing, I think I have only finished one of her books in my life but this one is WW2 storyline (along with too many others) and that’s keeps me coming back to it.  I swear I am never picking up any more of her books.    

eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes
Date Posted: 1/16/2014 5:06 PM ET

Just finished The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain - loved it.

The only other thing I have read by her is Necessary Lies which I liked, but not as much as this. I'll try the Midwife's Confession since people recommended it.

Last Edited on: 1/16/14 5:12 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 1/17/2014 6:43 PM ET

Enjoying the second in the Loose Threads mysteries, Quilter's Knot by Arlene Sachitano.  Plus, I have the third in the series and might just sail right into it.

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 1/19/2014 9:50 PM ET

Margaret:   JP's the StoryTeller is one of the first of hers that I couldn't even get interested in.  After 80 pages it seemed to be so predictable and redundant in so many ways.  Usually, I can just pick on of hers up and breeze thru for solid entertainment.  And I had a Large Print copy.  What a waste of a LP book for me.    I would say of all the Jody P books out there, certainly of all that I have read, The Storyteller is the biggest loser.  

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 1/21/2014 5:33 PM ET

Finished Quilter's Knot and just couldn't help myself, started Quilt As You Go.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2014 9:00 AM ET

Reading "After the Storm" by Maya Banks and "Dream London" by Tony Ballantyne

Just finished "Tempest Rising" by Nicole Peeler

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/1/2014 10:04 AM ET

I am reading "A Wedding in Apple Grove" by C.H. Admirand  its a cozy romance and is the first in a series.  I also am reading A Winter's Tale and That Touch of Magic.

Page: