Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: July mysteries and thrillers.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: July mysteries and thrillers.
Date Posted: 7/1/2018 11:11 AM ET

Read anything interesting.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/1/2018 3:53 PM ET

I have just finished 'Wedding Cake Crumble' by Jenn Mckinley.  This is the latest in her cupcake bakery series.  It was good. I'm from Maine, as you know, and I cannot for the life of me think you can make much money running a cupcake business.  People are falling over each other in these books to buy them or have them catered for their functions, weddings, etc.  But of course I'm not from a huge city where these may be more profitable and numerous.  We had a cupcake bakery in the town next to me for awhile, but after 9 months or so it was gone.  

I am now reading 'Not Quite Dead Enough' by Rex Stout.  I found a bunch of Nero Wolfe mysteries that I had collected and found I must have read them about the same time as I read the Perry Mason mysteries, so I'm reading a bunch of them as well.   cool

Becky ~ I'm so glad you are feeling better!  You have had much to deal with over the past few years and it is wonderful that you are beginning to see the light in that tunnel.

If you would, please send thoughts and prayers for my DH and I as this is going to be a very emotional week for us.  Tomorrow will be the 21st month anniversary of our son Paul's death.  Then the day after that, the 3rd, it would have been his 27th birthday.   crying

Last Edited on: 7/1/18 3:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/2/2018 7:04 AM ET

Happy July

I am reading Death comes to Kurkland Hall by Catherine Llyod. Very well writting Cozy series set in 1817 England. This book is number 3 in the series. I recommend reading them in order. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/5/2018 6:17 PM ET

I am enjoying first in a series Murder on Black Swan Lane by Andrea Penrose.  Set in Regency London. Great characters really makes you want to keep reading 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 7/8/2018 7:49 AM ET

I finished Lowcountry Book Club by Susan M Boyer.  Very good although the murder was tough to figure out. Love the southern charm. Some good foreshadowing too.  Start with book 1 in this series. Very good cozy series

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2018 11:14 PM ET

Alice, I've put the first Kurlkand Hall book on my wish list.  It sounds really good!

I am reading the first book in a new series by Krista Davis,  "Color Me Murder."  First series I have found that includes adult coloring, the MC makes and publishes these books as well as managing a book store.  You can even color the covers of the book.  So far it is very good, the murder victim was not the person I was expecting.  Krista also has a long standing "Diva" series.  As with that series, she ends each chapter with some action that makes you want to see what happens and keeps the story fresh and interesting.  

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2018 12:42 PM ET

I just finished reading Formula of Deception by Carrie Stuart Parks. She took a break from writing her Gwen Marcey series which several of us here have read. I liked the book a lot but missed Gwen. I'm thinking this is a stand alone and not the beginning of a new series but I might be wrong.

I also finished on Sunday, Breaking Creed by Alex Kava. First thing I have read of hers. Have already picked up the next two in this series from the library.

I'm listening to Scandal Above Stairs by Jennifer Ashley, a historical mystery. The reader for this is very good and I enjoy listening to her.

Mistry avatar
Kim (Mistry) -
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2018 5:25 PM ET

Hello, all!

I'm reading Finished Off by Rebecca Kent.  It's the second in her Finishing School series. It's quite good and a little differently written than some others, which I'm enjoying.

Next is Larceny and Lace by Annette Blair.   Hope everyone is having a good July!

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2018 3:00 PM ET

I had noticed when looking up Jennifer Ashley's books online, that she also writes a Capt. Lacey series under the name of Ashley Gardner.  In looking at Amazon saw where the first book about Capt. Lacey was free for Kindle so picked it up yesterday and finished last night. I enjoyed it a good bit.  Some of it was repetitive when talking about certain characters of situations but I got past that and hope it gets better as the series goes along. It has some interesting characters that from I can tell will be in other series books also.

The one I finished yesterday was The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Gabriel Lacey, Bk 1) :: Ashley Gardner. I picked up the next one today, A Regimental Murder, and started it at lunch.

Last Edited on: 7/23/18 3:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/26/2018 3:49 PM ET

Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the women who created Her. by Melanie Rehak. non fiction.

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2018 10:40 PM ET

Immersed in the Cynthia Riggs series about 92 year old poet Victoria Trumbull, many generationed resident of Martha's Vineyard.  She knows everything and everybody on the island.  Smart and not silly, the first in the series is Deadly Nightshade.  Even though I like to read a series in order, I was able to read most of them when I could get them.  So far, there are 14 in the series.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 7/31/2018 9:51 AM ET

I finishe Lowcountry Bonfire by Susan M Boyer. Execllent Cozy series. very Southern set in South Carolina