Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: July Mystery Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2017 7:48 PM ET

I wanted to tell you about a book I finished recently.  The House on Persimmon Road / Jackie Weger

Amazon description

Need Help? Hire a Ghost. She Cooks, she cleans. Lottie Roberts has been sitting on her bones since the Civil War, waiting for her ticket to heaven until Justine Hale moves into Lottie's two-hundred-year-old house with three generations of emotional baggage: Her mother, her ex mother-in-law and two pesky children. Lottie senses in Justine a kindred spirit, one filled with heartache and in reduced circumstances, which mirrors Lottie's situation exactly. Justine needs help. Lottie is of a mind to provide it, but before she can say squat, Tucker Highsmith arrives. His dark eyes, lazy grin, and sexy Alabama drawl coupled with the dern braggart's Mr. Fix-it talents just might be the answer to all of Justine's problems. Or maybe not...Because Lottie has her own agenda, one she has been waiting, hoping and praying for since she discovered her bones on a hidden staircase.

A bit of paranormal, a bit of more than one romance and a bit of fun too.  I was so sorry when it ended and wished for more.  At this point it sounds like it's a stand alone and that made me sad.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 10:43 AM ET

Goodbye Dearest Geri --- you and Jeanne are the people who welcomed me into this group in the very beginning --- I understand your decision to give up PBS, but I refuse to give you up!!!  When you least expect it, I may end up in Michigan!!!

Goodness --- I just looked and I have been a member here since October 7, 2007 ---- almost ten years!!!!   That is a surprise to me --- time goes by so quickly.  Every day or so I go thru the "to stay or to go" thought process.  Initially this was a very active place to meet people and talk about books.  Trading has never been the driver for me to be here.  Now as I look thru the list of my friends --- easily 1/3 of them are no longer here.  I know circumstances change for everyone.  With all that has happened in my life these past 4-1/2 years, I certainly understand change.  Unfortunately the one thing that has generated the most change around here is when PBS began charging for the service.  I do understand any company cannot run a business at a loss and keeping all the systems running for PBS no doubt takes a good bit of cash.  Clearly, there were many, many members who simply did not have the money.  Or, as I suspect, many people just got angry and left as they were used to getting something for nothing --- a sign of life in America these days. 

Now even more friends are leaving --- guess I have a bit of time to decide what I will do when the time comes. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 11:05 AM ET

FWIW I'll be staying. I have no ereader so I still depend on paper books or as they say dead tree books. The first year we had to pay I chose limited membership but I was so stressed keeping track of the number of swaps and stuff that the 2nd year I went full membership so I don't have to think about what I am doing. I like the club and I'm happy to be here.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 2:02 PM ET

I just renewed. I enjoy the virtual social interaction and I do like my real books.

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 9:10 PM ET

Sad goodbye to Geri.  She was the one who mentioned downloading Kindle books to a smartphone.  We might have to wait in line somewhere with nothing to read.  Great suggestion for me.

Just finished Collared (Andy Carpenter Novel) by David Rosenfelt.  The stand alones and the series are all terrific with just enough laughs and lessons.  In this case, lessons were about selecting a jury. Actually, the laughs were about selecting a jury, too.

Susan

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 10:10 PM ET

Oh, Geri, we will miss you here!  Who is going to tell me whether or not I will like a book?  I geuss I'll just have to email you and ask!   :)

Becky, how is your mother doing? 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2017 6:34 AM ET

I finished 

Precious and Grace (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Bk 17) :: Alexander McCall Smith

I love this series and have read all 17 books. Beautifully written. I would love to sit with Precious and Grace and have a cup of team in Botswana

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2017 9:36 PM ET

I started reading Flash by Tim Tigner today on Kindle (freebie).  A guy wakes up in a metal box with blood all over and a corpse on top of him. Realizes that he is in a trunk and he can hear someone screaming. The person screaming (woman) has woken up in the passenger seat of the car with blood on her and a gun in her lap. He realizes that he has lost 7 years memories and she has lost 6. The dead guy is a cop in the Cayman Islands. Its kept my attention so far but you have to keep track. So far there have been parts of the story from 5 different people.

We will miss you Geri. I'm debating on whether to keep my membership or not. I'm not even sure when it renews but I think it is coming up before long.

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2017 2:57 AM ET

Opened up a thread for August. smiley

Page: