Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: June is Busting Out - What are we reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2016 5:01 PM ET

Just finished The Highwayman/Craig Johnson.  This is  novella in his Walt Longmire series.  I normally ignore the novellas authors seem to be putting in their series, but picked this one up at the library and I'm glad I did.  Basically a ghost story, but a lovely afternoon's read.  The reader gets to decide what was real and what wasn't.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2016 9:10 PM ET

Becky - I think we could write a co-write a book about the woes of renovating older houses. The one I bought last October is still far from finished. The re-wiring, re-roofing and new AC/heater were easy. The plumbing is from hell. The house originally had a septic tank. At some point that was filled in and the plumbing connected to city sewer - 200+ feet from the property line, running under someone else's property. Then there's the fact that while some plumbing is accessible from a crawl space, the drain pipes from the addition are directly under a slab, and I'll need someone to dig a tunnel 4' wide under the slab to lay new drain pipes. There's extensive wall damage to be remedied, and the walls were stucco rather than plaster or drywall. Then there's the new flooring to install, attic insulation, and yard clean-up, before I can list it for sale.

Becky and Marla - I watched several seasons of the Longmire series on Netflix a few months ago. Now I'm watching programs on AcornTV.com - all UK and Commonwealth. Some great documentaries, dramas and comedies. I enjoyed a couple of the series so much I'm watching them for the second time.

Currently about halfway through Dust to Dust by Beverly Connor. MC Diane Fallon, a forensic anthropologist and museum director, is helping a former FBI profiler turned P.I. investigate the death of a young girl, and helping the local police with the assault case of one of the museum's new archaeologists. This is one of my favorite series: it never disappoints.

I keep reworking my Challenge list to include as many WL books as possible. I think I had about 50 of them at a couple weeks ago. I feel badly when I think of how long some of the members have been waiting.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 9:49 AM ET

Anybody read Eric Ambler. today is his birthday.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 11:20 AM ET

I finished Chain Gang Fugitive by Robert E. Burns. A very interesting book on his life. I started reading Mrs. Jeffries Turns the Tide by Emily Brightwell. I like it so far.

My right hand carpal tunnel surgery is scheduled for July 12th. My left palm is still tender and the wrist is still swollen. The doctor told me the swelling will probably take up to 6 months to disappear.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 12:11 PM ET

Amber try Arnicare.  Available in drugstores,  OTC, comes in cream or gel.  It took down my swelling from my dental implants.  Not overnight but without heat or cold.  If you have any pain it helps with that and if you have a bruise it helps with that too.  The dentist told me mine would take three months and he was surprised that it was down faster than that.  I told him I heal fast.  lol     

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 2:41 PM ET

Even DH's doctor told him about Arnicare - very good stuff. I forgot about that Geri - great suggestion!!!

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 4:44 PM ET

Geri, I keep forgetting the Arnica!  Just put it on my grocery list for the week.

Becky, it has been a long haul with that house of yours for sure!  I'm glad there is light (hope it is the kitchen light) on the horizon.  :)

I've finished a couple books.  'Blood Orange' by Susan Wittig Albert and 'Berry the Hatchet' by Peg Cochran.  I am happy to report that in 'Blood Orange' the focus is back on China Bayles and her working to solve the case.  I know a couple previous to this were told primarily from another character's point of view.  It was very good!  

'Berry the Hatchet' was good also.  MC is in Cranberry Cove, Michigan helping her brother with his cranberrry (what else?) farm.  I was surprised at who the murderer was.   Not sure what is up next!

Last Edited on: 6/28/16 4:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/28/2016 6:12 PM ET

Joy, I had a problem with a shoe and it caused my foot to swell.  I used Arnicare and nothing else and within the hour the swelling was gone!  As well as the pain from the show that no longer lives in my house.  devil

Reading Kindle books and have so many going without finishing anything lately.  I simply can'tseem to settle on a book for some reason.  I have never had so many going at one time.

One that keeps me going is Singularity / Kathryn Casey.  MC is a female Texas Ranger profilier.  She's working with a male FBI agent going for a serial killer who now seems to be focused on her. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/29/2016 2:49 AM ET

Just buzzing by to say "Hi".  We are in the throes of another small home redecorating project and I am not getting any new stuff read.  Too many interruptions to be able to concentrate.  I have been rereading some old favorites.  Right now it is C.L Wilson's  Lord of the Fading Lands, first in a 5 book fantasy series.  Have a lovely holiday weekend everyone.

Last Edited on: 6/29/16 2:51 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2016 2:20 PM ET

I just finished reading A Murder in Time: A Novel by Julie McElwain and really liked this time-travel murder mystery. Although not perfect, I thought it was well written and the characters and plot were nicely done.

The MC is an FBI agent/profiler who, while trying to escape an assassin, stumbles through a secret passageway in the castle where she tracked her quarry, and falls through time to the exact same place in the early 1800s. Initially she believes she may be hallucinating from her injuries or gone mad, but eventually begins to see that she is stuck there for the foreseeable future. The kind-hearted owner believes she is a maid that was hired to help for an upcoming party and gives her sanctuary. Shortly after her arrival, a woman washes ashore and she points out that it's not an accidental drowning, but murder. She soon she discovers there's a serial killer on the loose and he is most likely from the gentry. Though many of the castle's occupants are suspicious of her and her knowledge of murder, she manages to convince those who matter that time is running out before and they need to identify the killer quickly.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2016 4:40 PM ET

Hello All --- Well all the appliances came today, dishwasher, washer, dryer and refridgerator.  So the fridge I chose was large enough to house a small family.  It would not even fit into the house without being dismantled.  Also, had that happened, the little cubby where it was meant to go in the kitchen is very shallow and the fridge would have lunged into the room 14".  That meant that the door could open without hitting the island but I would have had to slither in to look in the fridge!!!  So thankfully the installers did not take it out of th box and it went right back with them.  Then I drove to the appliance place and chose a cabinet depth model.  This one will only stick out of the cubby to allow the doors to open!!!  About 3 inches.  The monster was 28 cubic feet, this one is 25!!!

It just seems that this entire project has been snakebit from the beginning.  Anyway they are bringing out the new fridge on Saturday!!!

I am now reading "Pasture Post Mortem" by Abby Deuel, second in the series about Mandy Bell DVM.  These are not books for those who was "meat" in the stories, but they are not so absolutely silly that they make you groan.  I tried 2 other "vet detective" books that were so silly I did not get 10 pages into either one!!!!

Last Edited on: 6/29/16 4:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/29/2016 7:59 PM ET

As I said Becky, whatever can go wrong did in that house!  It seems like there may be a light at the end of that tunnel though.  smiley

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 11:25 AM ET

Becky, wishing the best for you. I am a believer of there is a reason for everything so am hoping things work out for you that are way better than your original expectations.

Geri...last night I bought my DH some Arnicare at Walgreen's. His foot has been swollen for the last few days so thought would give it a try. After only two applications so far, his swelling is down. Thanks for your tip! smiley Still not up to par, but he will continue to apply the Arnicare. It says 3 times a day.

Last Edited on: 6/30/16 11:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 12:31 PM ET

Read City of the Lost/Kelley Armstrong.  Interesting premise and I enjoyed it a lot.  Sounds like it might be the beginning of a series. 

Cool, cloudy day for a change!  Actually put on long pants and a long-sleeved shirt!  Of course, I could have just closed the windows, but like the fresh, cool air.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 12:36 PM ET

Connie, the nicest thing is if there is any pain it helps with that too.  My foot was huge and with the Arnicare by the next day it was down to a normal foot!  My was cause by a shoe rather than anything else though.

I've used it for swelling, brusing and itches.  Oh and a really dry elbow.  :)

Great stuff.

Marla, sounds like City of the Lost/Kelley Armstrong will be a series.  In fact A Darkness Absolute is coming out in 2017 according to FF.  :)

Last Edited on: 6/30/16 12:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 4:38 PM ET

Geri, it has really helped with his pain. I felt so sorry for him and am so glad we picked up this Arnicare. Hmm, for a dry elbow, I have that and will try it, thanks.

Enjoying Borrowed Crime and loving Eddie. Mrrr...:) I went to B&N today to pick up two new cozies and the lady there, said "What, not 15 like usual? ROFL,of course she was kidding.wink

Last Edited on: 6/30/16 5:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 6:22 PM ET

Connie, the skin on my elbow felt like it was a scab coming off.  Two applications of Arincare and I don't want to say it's back to normal but almost!  Works better than any skin lotion I've ever used!  Glad to hear it helped with the pain and swelling on your husband's foot!  When someone on another forum recommended it for my bruising and swelling and slight pain from the implants I was skeptial but thought it can't be any worse than what it is.  Took down the swelling, cleared the bruises in reord time and took away the slight pain that heavy pain medication didn't really seem to touch.

In the meantime I just finished Singularity.  Oh my, what a thrill ride for an ending.  This is the first of a series and I wasn't sure about it when I started.  A bit slow or maybe just me but I'd put it down and it was calling me.  I couldn't put it down until I finished it today!  MC is a female Texas Ranger profiler working with an FBI profiler and a FBI agent who is a real jerk, and a cop from the scene of two killings.  The FBI jerk and the cop have their eye on the victims wife and MC and FBI guy think it's a serial killer.   Yep, serial killer.  Phew!  Got the second on my wl.  Pricey on Kindle.     

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 7:30 PM ET

Read Whispers of the Dead by Simon Beckett. MC is English forensic anthropologist, but in this second installment he's working at the Body Farm in Tennessee. A body is found in a motel cabin. At first appearance it looks like the man was tortured. But the body appears to be too decomposed for the known time it was left in the cabin, even given that a heater had been left on to speed things up. And there are more forensic anomalies. Several more twists before the wiley serial killer is brought down. Not for the squeamish, but well plotted.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2016 9:00 PM ET

Mary P --- that is the 3rd book in the "David Hunter" series!!!  I read all 4 of them as soon as I could get my hands on them.  The 4th and last was written in 2010 so I am thinking he is finished.  Although somewhat grisly, it was a real favorite of mine.  Mostly I just really liked David!!!!

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/1/2016 4:14 PM ET

Becky, I have Calling of the Grave, published in 2010, on my WL. I think you're right about it being the end of the series. Beckett had a non-series book published in 2014, and nothing since.

Just finishing up Through the Evil Days by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Reading the first couple pages was like coming home to an old friend. Police Chief Russ and pregnant Episcopal priest Clare are getting away for a week's honeymoon at a lake getaway where they won't be disturbed. A house with a retired couple in it burns down just as they're about to leave. Russ decides to delegate the investigation not knowing that an 8-year-old girl was snatched from the house. She has a liver transplant and will die in 7 or 8 days if she doesn't get her meds. The East Coast is struck by a paralyzing ice storm, knocking out power lines anc cell towers. Every time it seems things couldn't get worse they do. A real page turner!

Page: