Friend's Email: Subject:I have found a book that I think you would enjoy
The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Bk 3)
The Last Straw - Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Bk 3 Author:Jeff Kinney The highly anticipated third book in the critically acclaimed and bestselling series takes the art of being wimpy to a whole new level. — Let’s face it: Greg Heffley will never change his wimpy ways. Somebody just needs to explain that to Greg’s father. You see, Frank Heffley actually thinks he can get his son to toughen up, a... more »nd he enlists Greg in organized sports and other “manly” endeavors. Of course, Greg is able to easily sidestep his father’s efforts to change him. But when Greg’s dad threatens to send him to military academy, Greg realizes he has to shape up . . . or get shipped out.
Greg and his family and friends, who make the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books a must-read for middle school readers, are back and at their best in this hilarious new installment of the series, which is sure to please current fans while attracting new ones.« less
Melinda W. reviewed The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Bk 3) on
Helpful Score: 3
These books are great. Though, they are written for kids, there is quite a bit of humor that an adult can also appreciate. My nine year-old son and I love this series. There is enough bathroom humor to keep him entertained and the doodles are quite funny as well.
This isn't a bad series, but I suggest reading the online version that it is based on. The online version is less censored, has more interesting and funnier plotlines, and is generally better. Go to http://www.funbrain.com/journal/Journal.html?ThisJournalDay=1&ThisPage=1 for it.
* Really quick read
* Cartoons are always comical.
* Shows Greg is really starting to grow up and get new interests.
* Is perfect for everyone, especially for a little light reading.
* This was not as funny as the last two
* There is no real change in any of the other characters, so the same jokes have been told before.
* There are a lot of things that happen within this novel that mean absolutely nothing.
* He is extremely self-absorbed and therefore we have a limited view of everything that happens around him, I think that the more this series continues the less connection most boys will have with him.
Soomi C. reviewed The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Bk 3) on
My son adores the entire series. We enjoy reading it together and often find ourselves giggling together. The illustrations are funny and really reminds me of when I was in middle school. Jeff Kinney really captured the mind set of kids that age. We recommend this book.
This series certainly was a popular book among third and fourth graders at my school last year, kids were always carrying the books around. Sometimes, I actually saw the kids reading them! (well, they were looking at the pictures, anyway).