|Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.|
I was informed by PM today that when a member clicks on the link in my signature, their RL comes up instead of mine.
I did it again in a different way, but I'm not sure it's working. Will somebody try it and let me know. Also, if you know the
correct way to do this, will you post it?
okay, thanks. I'll try again. I found these instructions for anyone interested.
HOW TO MAKE A REMINDER LIST LINK USING TAGS & HOW TO ADD THE LINK TO YOUR SIGNATURE
HOW TO CREATE A TAG
1. Choose a name for your Reminder List Tag that is personal and original not used by someone else. I found out the hard way that this is VERY important. If you use a generic name that is used by other members, you will not get the result you want. Do not use On My Reminder List use something like Janes Reminder List for your tag. If someone else has already used that, think of something else, like Jane Ds Reminder List. (You can make more than one Reminder List Link, too, using different tags. Just decide which books you want on each list and follow the instructions to make each one. For instance, Janes Cozy Reminder List, or Janes Paranormal Reminder List, or Janes Cookbook Reminder List. Also, books can be on more than one type of Reminder List Link, simply by using different tags on the same book. Dont worry this will all make sense later.)
2. Click on the My Account tab, then the My Lists tab, then the Reminder link. This is where you will add the tag you just decided you will use. (Or, from the links at the top of each page, hover your mouse over My Account, then scroll down to My Lists on the box of links that appears, then follow the arrow to the right that directs you to the next box that appears, and scroll down to Reminder List and click on it.) This will open up your Reminder List.
3. To the right of each book listed, you will see a button labeled: +Tag. For each book you wish to add to the Reminder List Link you are creating, click on this button. A box will pop up where you will type in the name of your tag (the one you picked out in Step 1). If you find out it has already been used, try changing it until you have created one that is personal and has not been used before (as explained in Step 1). Click Save. The pop up box will close and, after a moment or two, your new tag will appear under the information for that book.
4. Repeat Step 3 for all the books you want to add to the Reminder List Link you are creating.
5. Repeat Steps 1-4 for all the Reminder List Links you wish to create using different tags (as explained in Step 1). Of course, you do not need to create the other links at the same time. Whenever you are ready to create your new Reminder List Link, just follow the same steps with the new tag you are going to use.
6. Go to the My Account tab, then the My Lists tab, then the My Tags link. Click on My Tags. (Or from the links at the top of each page, hover your mouse over My Account, then scroll down to My Lists on the box of links that appears, then follow the arrow to the right that directs you to the next box that appears, and scroll down to My Tags and click on it.) This will open up a page that will show you a list of all the tags you personally have used. If you have not yet added a tag to any books, either one used by other members or one you have created yourself, the list will be empty.
7. This next part of the process seems to be the one that trips up most people, so be careful here! At this point, you should be looking at the page that shows a list of your tags. There should be columns with these headings: TAG USES MOST RECENT USE OF THIS TAG (BY ANY MEMBER) Under the heading USES, you should see 2 links for each tag you have used. The top link says, xxxx times. If you click on this link, you will see a list of all the books bearing this particular tag. The bottom link says, xxxx members. If you click on this link, you will see a list of the members who have applied this particular tag and how many times each member has used it. Under the heading TAG, find the Reminder List tag for which you are planning to make a link. Under the USES heading, the top link that is associated with this tag (xxxx times) will show you the number of books on your Reminder List to which you have added this tag. If you have applied this tag to 86 books on your Reminder List, then this link will say, 86 times. The bottom link should say, 1 members (yes, plural). If it does not, go back to Step 1 and create a completely original tag! Okay, this is where you have to be careful!!! Click on the link that says, xxxx times for the tag for which you are planning to make a link. As in the example in the preceding paragraph, you have a link that says, 86 times because you have applied this particular tag to 86 books on your Reminder List. You want to make a link to a page displaying these 86 books, so make sure you click on the correct link! *** Do NOT repeat NOT click on the link for the name of the tag under the TAG heading! *** If you click on the link for the name of the tag under the TAG heading, you will open a window with a URL that looks something like this: www.paperbackswap.com/tags/index.php?mbr_only=1&type_id=1&tag_id=123456789 (the numbers at the end of the URL will be unique for each tag) You will know this is not correct if you see: mbr_only. If this is in your link, you and only you will be able to see the list of books. Everyone else will see an empty page with a title saying, Janes Reminder List and a note that says, There are no books tagged Jane's Reminder List. If you click on the link xxxx times under the USES heading, you will open a window with a URL that looks something like this: www.paperbackswap.com/tags/index.php?type_id=1&tag_id=123456789 (the numbers at the end of the URL will be unique for each tag) Note that instead of mbr_only, you see type_id. If this is in your link, then, when other members click on it, they will see a page displaying all the books on your Reminder List to which you have applied this particular tag. CONGRATULATIONS! Now, its time to make a link and add it to your signature. Dont worry compared to what youve already done, this part is a breeze!
8. Okay, at this point, you should have a window open displaying the books on your Reminder List to which you have applied the tag (the window that opened when you clicked on xxxx times in Step 7). Leave this window open, because this is the URL you are going to copy to make your link. If you want to close the window, or navigate away from it, that is okay, too, but be sure to copy the URL before you close it. (I recommend leaving the window open and copying the URL when you get to Step 11, just to be on the safe side.)
9. Now you need to add the URL to your Forum signature. To do this, Click on My Account, then either click on Settings or scroll to it from the links at the top of the page (as previously described). When you are on the Account Settings page, scroll down until you see Forum Settings. In the text box provided, where it says, Signature, type something that will identify your link, like Janes Reminder List, or Janes Cozy Reminder List, or even just RL. Remember to make it easy for other members to know what is on the other side of this link.
10. Across the top of this text box, immediately to the right of the word Signature, you should see a toolbar with buttons that will allow you to edit the text in the box. (If these buttons are not visible, look for a little arrow next to the word Signature. If you click on it, it will expand the toolbar.) Find the button that looks like several links of a chain (as I type this, it is the 4th button from the left). If you hoover your mouse over it, it should say, Insert/Edit Link. Now, go to the name for your link that you have typed in the text box and use your mouse to highlight it. When it is highlighted, click on the button with the chain links on it. A small window should pop up that says, Link, with 4 tabs: Link Info, Target, Upload, and Advanced. All you really need to worry about is the 1st tab that says, Link Info.
11. Remember, were going to try to keep this simple (Ha!), so, unless you know a bit about HTML, just fill in the basics. Under the Link Info tab, you should see Link Type (default is URL go ahead and leave it like that), Protocol (default is http:// - again, leave it like that), and an empty box: URL. This empty box is where you are going to paste the URL you copied in Step 8. After you have pasted the URL into the empty box, click OK. The little window should close.
12. Now, when you look at your text box, the name you typed for your list should be a link. If it is not, go back over last couple of steps and make sure you followed the directions correctly.
13. Under the text box, there is a button that says, Update Forum Signature. Click on this button. This will save your link as part of your signature, and it will appear at the bottom of your Forum posts.
14. There is another, slightly easier way, to add the link in your Signature its just not as pretty. In the text box, type the name of your link, like Janes Reminder List. Then paste the URL after the name. It will look something like this: Janes Reminder List: www.paperbackswap.com/tags/index.php?type_id=1&tag_id=123456789
15. It is impossible to test this link yourself, because you must be logged in to see it. So, now you need to post something in a Forum and ask someone who sees your post to let you know if the link worked when they clicked on it. (Of course, you will need to tell them what you hope they will see when they click on it, or you may not get the answer you wanted!) You will find that most members are happy to help, as long as you ask politely. Please and Thank You go a long way.
NOTE: You do not have to add your tag to every book you want to include in your list before you create the actual link. You can create a link with only one book and then go back later and add more books to your list simply by adding the tag to the new books you want to include on that particular list. You dont have to do it all at once you can expand the list whenever you want by adding the tag to more books on your Reminder List. Do yourself a favor and get in the habit of adding the tag when you add a book to your Reminder List you can do this from many pages on the site. You dont have to go to your Reminder List first to add a tag. Just tag as you go! It is also important to remember that if you remove a book from your Reminder List, you will also need to remove the tag from that book or it will continue to appear on the list generated by the tag. Remove the tag from the book BEFORE you delete the book from the list, or you may forget and your special tag list will not be updated. To delete a tag, simply click on the small X not to the tag name under the book's description in your Reminder List.
Last Edited on: 3/14/11 7:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1