Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Teachers' Corner Teachers' Corner

Topic: I love my job, but....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/9/2008 10:12 PM ET

Get enough sleep, exercise and take vitamins. Get a flu shot! You will be sick for the first year until you build up your immunity. Remember these two phrases (and repeat often):

This too shall pass.

Next year will certainly be better.

Lorene

barbelaine1 avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/12/2008 11:42 PM ET

I remember getting caught up in an argument once with one of my seventh graders.  I was exasperated and said,"Donot talk to me in that tone of voice. I am not your mother!"  She said, "You're right. She'd have given in by now."  We both collapsed into laughter. 

barbelaine1 avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/12/2008 11:50 PM ET

You'll see below that I quoted Liz F's post.  Thanks for stating so eloquently something I truly believe.  When parents say that respect must be earned, that's just their way of saying they're a lazy parent refusing to educate their children to be respectful.  And when an administrator spouts that nonsense that is just his/her way of rationalizing why they have no control over the functioning of their school.

I once had a conversation with my former principal, and she also told me that respect must be earned.

I disagree.

All adults and people in positions of authority deserve respect until they prove they HAVEN'T earned it --- at least, that was how I was taught at home. I was expected to say Yes Ma'am/ Sir to EVERYONE! The positive side of this is that even today, when someone holds a door open for me, I say "Thank you, Sir." It always makes them look, and I think it shows that I respect all people.

What that mother was telling you when she excused her son's disrespect, is that your life and your place in her son's life had no value. That's a lie, and it devalues her own life as well as everyone else's. She may end up being one of those mothers, wringing her hands and asking why her son doesn't come around / visit her / take care of her. It's because she's taught him disrespect.

Last Edited on: 1/12/08 11:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: