Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: MP3-CD Audiobook...System says I'm not allowed to list it?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: MP3-CD Audiobook...System says I'm not allowed to list it?
Date Posted: 4/28/2017 10:04 PM ET

I have an MP3-CD Audiobook here. It's unabridged, one disc. From Brilliance Audio, not a bootleg, just the one disc MP3 CD that a lot of companies have gone to. Anyway, I want to list it for swapping, and when I try, the system says I'm not allowed. I know audiobooks are allowed here, so what gives? It's The Lock List by Steve Hamilton and the ISBN is 978-1-4692-5566-8. If anyone has any ideas about what I'm supposed to do, I appreciate it!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2017 11:29 PM ET

I've had the system tell me those are not allowed as well. Funny thing is, I would rather have an MP3 over a regular cd audio book because I don't have to risk my life changing out cds when driving. 

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 12:06 AM ET

MP-3s are allowed here. The problem is that the database PBS draws from considers it a non-allowed booktype. They're hoping to change that in the future, but for the time being, you can post it without an ISBN as a "CD". Be sure to include the information that it's an MP-3 in both the title line and the description, since not all members are able to play these.

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 12:07 AM ET

Amanda you can trade the MP-3.  I'm trying to remember the steps.  I listed an MP-3 before, let me check.

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 12:09 AM ET

I just read Patty's Post.  The team told me to put MP-3 in the title so people will know it's NOT a CD.  You need a special player to play MP-3 audio books.  

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 12:17 AM ET

Ok, the one I posted had a short isbn.  

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 1:35 AM ET

Gotcha. Yeah, most CD players play them but not all of the older ones. I agree with you Kathy....changing the disc every hour is a nuisance. I'll see if I can create a listing for it tomorrow and be sure that the format is clearly stated in the title and description. Thanks for the help!

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Subject: Bazaar and Discussion Forums - Large Print and Audios sections - advertise
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 8:54 AM ET

Amanda, 
As an extra - you might also want to put in a word on the Bazaar that it's available from you as PBS ISBN xyz and that it's a MP3 CD, else it might languish for awhile on your shelf. Also you might put in a word on the Discussion Forums - Large Print and Audios - same thing, it helps to get the word out - good luck! 

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 7:25 PM ET

Thanks Danny!