Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: I just made the BEST potroast!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ducky28 avatar
Subject: I just made the BEST potroast!
Date Posted: 11/14/2008 7:23 AM ET

I got the recipe from Paula Dean On the FN website.  It was soooooo good!!   The only thing I did different is I am not overly fond of wine, so I went half and half wine and grapejuice.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pot-roast-recipe2/index.html

twinkiestwice avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2008 8:00 AM ET

Thank you for sharing this, Paige. I printed it out to try, too! I am going to make mine in the crockpot though :-)

twinkiestwice avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2008 1:02 PM ET

OK, so after printing it out to try, I didn't read the directions well. I didn't get any worsh. sauce at the store. I didn't get beef buillon.

So, I threw the meat (chuck roast) into my crock pot with one can mushroom soup, 1/3 cup wine, 1 can beef broth, one onion chopped, three cloves garlic, 1 cup fresh choppped mashrooms, and 4 bayleaves (out of date so used more).

I will report back this evening!

ETA: this was good, but I think I should of used all the wine it called for- I couldn't taste it AT ALL, and I actually like a little wine flavor. Adding more garlic cloves next time, too.  Also, next time I will not add the mushrooms until about 45 minutes before I am going to serve the meal. :-) The meat though was very tender and yummy! Good flavor! Worked well in a crockpot when you added a bit of cornstarch 15 minutes before the end to thicken it up. :-)

Last Edited on: 11/14/08 8:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
L avatar
L. G. (L)
Date Posted: 11/16/2008 12:16 AM ET

If anyone doesn't like using canned creamed soups (like me) you can make a bechamel sauce by wisking whole milk into a roux (1T butter, 1T flour and a cup of milk), and in a separate pan, sautee a bunch of chopped mushrooms in salted butter.  When the mushrooms are done and the liquid liberated has evaporated, pour the bechamel over the mushrooms, and stir to remove the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add a dash of garlic and black pepper.  Use this instead of canned mushroom soup. 

ducky28 avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2008 8:10 AM ET

That sounds good!  How is that different from a rue??

Why don't you use condenced soups?

L avatar
L. G. (L)
Date Posted: 11/16/2008 10:45 PM ET

You start with a roux (rue), which is the melted butter with flour whisked in.  Then you add the milk or cream, which will make the basic white sauce (bechamel).  Use this base for all sorts of things (alfredo sauce is one of my favorites!!).

To tell you the truth, I just sautee my mushrooms in extra butter with a little chopped onion and garlic, and stir the flour into that - then add the cream or milk.  Cream will make it more fatty, of course.  I also use a mix of mushrooms - portobello and white caps, usually.  You have to be careful or the flour will clump and make lumps - not pretty!

I don't like the way canned creamed soups taste in dishes and DH won't touch it.  I will eat canned Campbell's cream of mushroom soup by itelf when I am wanting some comfort food though - weird, eh?  I think it's a throw-back to my childhood.  It just sort of tastes "fake" to me, and it's extremely salty.  I tend not to cook with salt (DH has high BP) and let people salt their food at the table.

ETA:  I may make this pot roast next time DH is OOT.  I need something I can eat off of for a few days - thanks for the recipe!! :)

Last Edited on: 11/16/08 10:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Celina-s-Hope avatar
Date Posted: 11/17/2008 1:26 AM ET

I always put half or more of a bottle of red wine in my pot roasts.

catlingmex avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/22/2008 8:06 PM ET

L, thanks so much for the alternative you posted!  Like you, I don't like canned soups in my recipes -- or to eat at all.  As a kid my mom (like everyone in the 70s, I think, LOL) used them, and I thought they tasted fine.  Then I moved to Mexico for 20+ years, where I learned to eat "real food" (which means fresh and made from scratch, since frozen and canned food is pretty much despised there).  Now back in the USA, I love the convenience of frozen and (occasionally) canned vegetables and fruit, but I can't stomach the soup.  It really does taste fake, and who knows what all those ingredients listed on the label are?  I'm always disappointed when an otherwise yummy-sounding recipe includes canned soup in the ingredients.

I'm printing this recipe for future reference.  Thank you Paige.

L avatar
L. G. (L)
Date Posted: 11/23/2008 12:52 AM ET

Robin, you sound so much like me!  My mom would put Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup on a lot of things -   hamburgers, sauteed chicken breasts, or in casseroles.  When I went out on my own, I learned to cook with fresh ingredients and never went back.  Now, I feel like it's "cheating" to used canned tomatoes or canned beans (but I do!)

marcym avatar
Date Posted: 11/23/2008 6:04 PM ET

Canned soups are also full of MSG, which gives me migraines. Thanks for the new recipe Paige!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/9/2009 10:57 AM ET

and this is cheaper too!

TeaWithMe avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2009 11:08 AM ET

Hey, how do you make alfredo sauce? I can't bring myself to buy the canned or bottled stuff at the store, and my family is tired of spaghetti sauce on their pasta.

LesleyH avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2009 1:23 PM ET

Mrs. B, alfredo sauce is nothing more than cream, butter and cheese.  I usually just wing it with measurements, but the recipe I checked on epicurious.com said 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, and 1/3 cup fresh grated parmigiano reggiano.  Not exactly a health food, lol!  For other sauces, you could try pesto, although that's more complicated if you make it from scratch.  Another of my favorites is very simple- toss noodles and whatever else (veggies, shrimp, chicken, etc.) in some olive oil with some finely minced garlic, fresh chopped herbs, salt/pepper, and a splash of white wine.  Top with shredded cheese.  One of my favorite pasta cookbooks is Beard on Pasta (James Beard), and in it, he says that one of his ultimate comfort foods is simply noodles, butter, garlic, chopped anchovies, and cheese, though I'm not a big fan of anchovies so haven't tried it myself!  He has a great recipe in that book for pasta with beans- haven't made it in awhile, but the sauce has white beans, onions, garlic, bacon, diced tomatoes, carrots, olive oil, and chicken broth, and maybe wine too.

Mistry avatar
Kim (Mistry) -
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/21/2009 9:18 AM ET

Mrs. B, I also make my own Alfredo sauce, but mine is a variation of a Weight Watcher's recipe I got from my leader more than 10 years ago.  I use it on pasta as an Alfredo, and I've also added a bag of cheddar cheese and made my own mac and cheese,  and to that cheese added a pkt of taco seasoning to make a Mexican style Hamburger Helper.   I have high BP and lots of preservatives give me migraines, so this is a fantastic alternative, it's fresher and takes very little time!

Basic White Sauce:

•    Spray a saute pan with Pam
  • Add 1 1/2 cups skim milk
  • Add 2 TBS flour
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 chicken boullion cube
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper

On medium heat,  whisk ingredients together until thickened, usually 6 or 7 minutes.  Add extra seasonings to taste.

I've added additional spices before to get different flavors.  Garlic powder or fresh chopped garlic for yummy Creamy Garlic Chicken, different cheeses for a 4 Cheese Alfredo ( Parmesen, Fontina,  and whatever I've got in the house, about  1/2 c each).   I've also added a cup of salsa and added it at the end of a crockpot session for a Southwest Chicken Bake.

jubead avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 12:26 AM ET

Paige - I am going to give it a try as soon as it get's cooler - oh that is this weekend  = Yeah.   I love pot roasts in the winter months - comfort food

Generic Profile avatar
Terry E. (Tear) - ,
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 1:39 AM ET

Had to share my favorite Pot Roast from a yahoo pressure cooker group I joined.

It's called

"Rays 3 envelope pot roast"

3 lb's Roast, Beef or Pork (I use chuck roast)

1 envelope dry Italion salad dressing mix

1 envelope dry Ranch dressing mix

1 envelope brown gravy also dry mix

2 cups liquid, 1 cup water, 1 cup red wine

Brown roast well.  In a bowl mix liquids and dry mixes as best you can.  Pour over roast, bring up to pressure and cook, for 1 hour.

If your using a slow cooker half the dry and liquid ingredients.  Brown roast pour liquids over, cover and cook on high 6 hours or low all day.  This will become one of your fav's, we love it.

Thanks Ray!!