Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: Maeve Binchy Suggestions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rocky1 avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Maeve Binchy Suggestions
Date Posted: 9/9/2012 1:12 PM ET

I remember as a teenager reading Maeve Binchy and enjoying her books so I was thinking of starting up again. I remember one was about a group of people taking an Italian class (I plan to get a copy of that) but what are some other good ones by her I should also look at? It's been over ten years since I read anything by her!

Generic Profile avatar
AmiSue -
Date Posted: 9/21/2012 8:34 PM ET

In my opinion (for what that is worth!), her very best book is Echoes, followed by Light A Penny Candle.  These are her first two books.

The one you read is called Evening Class.  If you are looking for something in a similar vein, you might enjoy Quentins or Scarlet Feather.

Here is a link to her website http://www.maevebinchy.com, which lists all her books and a synopsis for each.  

SanJoseCa avatar
Date Posted: 5/22/2013 5:35 PM ET

My favorite Maeve Binchy novel is CIRCLE OF FRIENDS.  It is a wonderful story about 2 young women growing up in an Irish village and later discovering new friendships and romance in university. I think Binchy was one of the best authors in contemporary story telling.  She will be missed!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Maeve Binchy
Date Posted: 5/31/2013 3:15 PM ET

"Tara Road" is a great one also. It was made into a movie- not sure if it was shown here but it was shown in Ireland. And her last/most recent book is wonderful. It's called "A Week in Winter". I'll really miss new books coming from Maeve Binchy.