Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: March 2018 - What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: March 2018 - What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 3/1/2018 8:42 AM ET

FINISHED -

1. "THE WHITE INDIAN" by Max Brand (new author for me) (Rusty Sabin #1) (unabridged audio CD) (A++++) Rusty Sabin was a child when Cheyenne Indians raided his homestead and killed his mother. Raised thereafter by Spotted Antelope and Bitter Root, Rusty, now known as Red Hawk, refuses the compulsory and brutal initiation into the tribe when he is 15. Abandoned by his Cheyenne family, Red Hawk takes the advice of a white trader and rides to Witherell, the nearest settlement of whites. Rusty Sabin’s father lives on the outskirts of Witherell and has dedicated his life to killing Cheyenne warriors for destroying his family. He has become such a powerful adversary that the Cheyenne call him Wind Walker. Red Hawk, who has no recollection of his father, wants nothing more than to restore his reputation among the Cheyenne and rejoin the only family he has ever known. His plan? To kill Wind Walker, the bitterest enemy of his people.
  2. "BRANDED AS TROUBLE" by Delores Fossen (Wrangler's Creek #3) (A+++++) Every town needs a bad boy, and Wrangler's Creek's has been gone far too long. Getting his high school girlfriend pregnant was just one square in Roman Granger's checkered past, but it changed him forever. When his son's mother skipped town after the birth, Roman decided to do the same, baby Tate in tow, hoping for a fresh start. Now Roman fears his teenage son is following in his wayward footsteps, so he returns home to Wrangler's Creek, aiming to set him straight. It's there he encounters Tate's aunt, Mila Banchini, the good-girl opposite of Roman who's had a crush on him since childhood. The old spark between them undeniably never died, though Roman worries it'll only lead to heartache. But if falling for Mila is such a bad idea, why does everything about holding her feel so right? "JUST LIKE A COWBOY" by Delores Fossen (Wrangler's Creek #2.5) (A+++++) A bad-boy bull rider comes back to Wrangler's Creek to claim his ranch…and win back the woman who still owns his heart. Inheriting his uncle's ranch is a dream come true for Wynn Beck - until he discovers that half the property belongs to his ex-wife. Carlene has been running the place for years and claims she doesn't want Wynn anywhere near it. But Wynn senses she, too, feels the intense pull that reminds him how well they fit together…in every way. Their scalding-hot marriage fizzled when Carlene realized Wynn was more interested in winning a rodeo buckle than putting down roots. Now she intends to protect her home - and her still-fragile heart - by buying Wynn out. Too bad the man's as stubborn as the bulls he rides. And that her cooled desire can quickly heat right back up with the right cowboy.
  3. "CALL TO ENGAGE" by Tawny Weber (Team Poseidon #2) (A+++++) (new author for me)The Poseidon team are hard-bodied, fiercely competitive Navy SEALs. But when a sensitive mission goes disastrously wrong, three of the team's finest will have to trust their hearts and instincts to uncover the truth...Lieutenant Elijah Prescott should be spending his precious leave somewhere with sun, surf and scantily clad women. Instead, he's heading home with two goals in mind. Figure out exactly how his last assignment went to hell and almost killed him - and reconnect with the woman who might offer salvation. Ava Monroe has streamlined her life, eliminating every source of pain - including a marriage touched by tragedy. One glimpse of her ex and those good intentions turn to bad-girl desires. Her strategy: get over Elijah by getting under him again, sating herself until she can finally let go. But as betrayal within the rank of the SEALs turns deadly, there's no denying that her heart and her life are on the line. Elijah is the only man who can protect both.
  4. "THE CAMEL CLUB" by David Baldacci (Camel Club #1) (abridged audio CD) (A++++) Conspiracy theories - everybody has one. The difference with this conspiracy is that it's all too real. The Camel Club takes readers inside the Beltway as four unlikely misfits struggle not only to survive, but to save their president and their country from a plot that will lead to nuclear disaster.
  5. "CALL TO HONOR" (Seal Brotherhood: Team Poseidon #1) by Tawny Weber (A+++++) The Poseidon team are hard-bodied, fiercely competitive navy SEALs. But when a sensitive mission goes disastrously wrong, three of the team's finest will have to trust their hearts and instincts to uncover the truth. "No man left behind" is inscribed in the DNA of every SEAL and Lieutenant Diego Torres is no exception. But with a team member killed - and the body missing - Diego's honor is sorely tested. Now his career and reputation are on the line, and a traitor is hiding among them. Diego wants answers...and only one woman has them. Single mom Harper Maclean has two priorities - raising her son Nathan and starting a new life. Her mysterious new neighbor may be impossibly charming, but Diego asks too many questions about her past - and about the father of her child. Questions she fears will reveal her burning attraction for Diego, and ultimately put them all in danger's path. "NIGHT MANEUVERS" (Seal Brotherhood: Team Poseidon #.05) by Tawny Weber (A++++) Within the elite brotherhood of Navy SEALs, the Poseidon team are the very best - and the most secretive. Convincing a naive journalist not to write a tell-all PR feature should be a piece of cake for Chief Petty Officer Aaron Ward. Especially once he glimpses Bryanna Radisson's soft, lush curves. His tactic: seduce and destroy. Bryanna is no pushover. Aaron's hard-muscled body makes her crave much more than a story, and she'll get what she came for. Desire is her weapon of choice, but when this one wild night is over, will Aaron sabotage her plans...or lose his heart in collateral damage?
  6. "THE SUMMER HE CAME HOME" by Juliana Stone (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake #1) Sometimes the best place to find love is right back where you started…Falling asleep in a different bed every night has made it easy for Cain Black to forget his past. It’s been ten years since he packed his guitar and left Crystal Lake to chase his dreams. Now tragedy has forced him home again. And though Cain relishes the freedom of the road, one stolen moment with Maggie O’Rourke makes him wonder if he’s missing out on something bigger than fame. For Maggie - single mother and newly settled in Crystal Lake - love is a luxury she just can’t afford. Sure, she appreciates the tall, dark and handsome looks of prodigal son Cain Black. But how long can she expect the notorious hellion to stay? The last thing either of them wants is something complicated. But sometimes love has its own plans.
  7. "FLAT-OUT SEXY" by Erin McCarthy (Fast Track #1) (A+++++) She met him at the racetrack...which was the last place Tamara Briggs wanted to find a man. Even a deeply intriguing, seductively sexy man like Elec Monroe. Tamara's a single mother after losing her daredevil husband in an accident - and she's not about to get involved with another drive and put her kids, or herself, through that again. Besides, Elec's young enough to be her...younger brother. Now things are moving a little too fast...But he sure does get her heart racing. And after she's tricked into a blind date with him, Tamara gives in to her passion. Things screech to a half, though, when he asks to meet her children. Whatever happened to wham-bam-thank-you ma'am? Suddenly Tamara has to decide how big a risk she's willing to take to experience the thrilling, terrifying power of true love.
  8. "DEADLY SILENCE" by Rebecca Zanetti (Blood Brothers #1) (A+++++) DON'T LOOK BACK...Under siege. That's how Ryker Jones feels. The Lost Bastards Investigative Agency he opened up with his blood brothers has lost a client in a brutal way. The past he can't outrun is resurfacing, threatening to drag him down in the undertow. And the beautiful woman he's been trying to keep at arm's length is in danger...and he'll destroy anything and anyone to keep her safe. Paralegal Zara Remington is in over her head. She's making risky moves at work by day and indulging in an affair with a darkly dangerous PI by night. There's a lot Ryker isn't telling her and the more she uncovers, the less she wants to know. But when all hell breaks loose, Ryker may be the only one to save her. If his past doesn't catch up to them first.
  9. "UNTIL YOU LOVED ME" by Brenda Novak (Silver Springs #3) (A++++++) Sometimes starting over means finding everything you've been missing…After catching her fiancé cheating - with another man - usually straitlaced, workaholic scientist Ellie Fisher liberates her wild side just long enough to indulge in a passionate one-night stand with a tall, dark stranger she meets at a trendy Miami bar. Embarrassed by her recklessness, she ducks out the following morning without learning the guy's full name, something that shouldn't have been a problem…until a pregnancy test turns positive. Being a professional football player, Hudson King has always been cautious around women. But this one had been different - so disinterested in his celebrity, so convincingly into him. When Ellie tracks him down, claiming she's carrying his baby, he's stunned. And more than a little betrayed. But after growing up as an orphan, he'll do anything to stay involved in his child's life, so he urges Ellie to move to Silver Springs, where they can co-parent. Hudson has a lot of love to give, certainly enough for his child, and when their initial spark reignites, perhaps for Ellie, too.
  10. "HARD HITTER" by Sarina Bowen (Brooklyn Bruisers #2) (new author for me) (A+++++) He's a fighter in the rink, but he's about to learn that playing nice can help you score...As team captain and enforcer, Patrick O'Doul puts the bruise in the Brooklyn Bruisers. But after years of hard hits, O'Doul is feeling the burn, both physically and mentally. He conceals his pain from his coach and trainers, but when his chronic hip injury becomes too obvious to ignore, they send him for sessions with the team's massage therapist. After breaking up with her long-term boyfriend, Ari Bettini is in need of peace of mind. For now, she's decided to focus on her work: rehabilitating the Bruisers' MVP. O'Doul is easy on the eyes, but his reaction to her touch is ice cold. Ari is determined to help O'Doul heal, but as the tension between them turns red hot, they both learn that a little TLC does the body good.
  11. "TURBO TWENTY-THREE" by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum #23) (listening on my phone using an Audible app) (A+++++) In the heart of Trenton, N.J., a killer is out to make sure someone gets his just desserts...Larry Virgil skipped out on his latest court date after he was arrested for hijacking an eighteen-wheeler full of premium bourbon. Fortunately for bounty hunter Stephanie Plum, Larry is just stupid enough to attempt almost the exact same crime again. Only this time he flees the scene, leaving behind a freezer truck loaded with Bogart ice cream and a dead body - frozen solid and covered in chocolate and chopped pecans. As fate would have it, Stephanie’s mentor and occasional employer, Ranger, needs her to go undercover at the Bogart factory to find out who’s putting their employees on ice and sabotaging the business. It’s going to be hard for Stephanie to keep her hands off all that ice cream, and even harder for her to keep her hands off Ranger. It’s also going to be hard to explain to Trenton’s hottest cop, Joe Morelli, why she is spending late nights with Ranger, late nights with Lula and Randy Briggs - who are naked and afraid - and late nights keeping tabs on Grandma Mazur and her new fella. Stephanie Plum has a lot on her plate, but for a girl who claims to have “virtually no marketable skills,” these are the kinds of sweet assignments she does best.
  12. "BRINGING HOME THE BAD BOY" by Jessica Lemmon (Second Chance #1) (new author for me) (A+++++) The Bad Boy Is Back...Evan Downey needs a new beginning. Since the death of his wife five years ago, the brilliant tattoo artist has shut himself away in a prison of grief that not even his work can break him out of - and what's worse, Evan knows his son Lyon is bearing the brunt of his seclusion. Moving back to the lake town of Evergreen Cove where he spent his childhood summers is his last chance for a fresh start. Charlotte Harris knows she owes it to her best friend's memory to help Evan and his son find their way again, but she can't stop her traitorous heart from skipping a beat every time she looks into Evan's mesmerizing eyes. Charlotte is determined to stay strictly in the Friend Zone - until a mind-blowing night knocks that plan by the wayside. Now, if they're brave enough to let it, Charlotte and Evan might just find a love capable of healing their broken hearts.
  13. "SOMEWHERE BETWEEN LUCK AND TRUST" by Emilie Richards (Goddesses Anonymous #2) (A+++++) Where Luck Meets Trust, Miracles Can Happen...Cristy Haviland gave birth behind bars to the child of the man who put her there and might yet destroy her. Now she's free again, with no idea what to do next. As smart as she is, a learning disability has kept her from learning to read. And that's the least of her hurdles. Georgia Ferguson, talented educator, receives a mysterious charm bracelet that may lead her to the mother who abandoned her at birth. Does she want to follow the clues? Can she bring herself to reach out for help along the way? Now Cristy and Georgia are standing at a crossroads, a place where unlikely unions can be formed. A place where two very different women might bridge the gap between generations and education, and together make tough choices. They might even, if they dare, find friendship.
  14. "YOU SAY IT FIRST" by Susan Mallery (Happily Inc. #1) (A+++++) Happily Inc a wedding destination founded on a fairy tale - Sculptor Nick Mitchell grew up in a family of artists and learned from his volatile father that passion only leads to pain. As he waits on a new commission, he takes a day job as a humble carpenter at a theme wedding venue. The job has its perks - mainly the venue's captivating owner, Pallas Saunders. Although he won't let love consume him, for ecstasy with an expiration date, he's all in. Pallas adores Weddings in a Box. But if she can't turn the floundering business around, she'll have no choice but to cave to her domineering mother and trade taffeta for trust funds working at the family's bank. Then when a desperate bride begs Pallas for something completely out of the box, her irresistible new hire inspires her. Nick knows she doesn't belong behind a desk, and she knows in her heart that he's right - where he really belongs is in his arms.
  15. "BEYOND REASON" by Kat Martin (Texas Trilogy #1) (A+++++) Five weeks ago Carly Drake stood at her grandfather’s grave. Now she’s burying Drake Trucking’s top driver, and the cops have no leads on the hijacking or murder. Faced with bankruptcy, phone threats and the fear of failure, Carly has to team up with the last man she wants to owe - Lincoln Cain. Cain is magnetic, powerful, controlling - and hiding more than one secret. He promised Carly’s granddad he’d protect her. The old man took a chance on him when he was nothing but a kid with a record, and now he’s the multi-millionaire owner of a rival firm. But Linc’s money can’t protect Carly from the men who’ll do anything to shut her down, or the secrets behind Drake Trucking. If she won’t sell out, the only way to keep her safe is to keep her close...and fight like hell.

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" by Caddie Rowland (Gastien #2) (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "The Weekenders" by Mary Kay Andrews
  3. "Drive You Wild" by Jennifer Bernard (Love Between the Bases #3)

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1.  "Darker" by E.L. James (Fifty Shades #5) (listening on my phone using an Audible app)

Last Edited on: 4/1/18 11:06 AM ET - Total times edited: 20
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2018 1:52 PM ET

Reading:  

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Gangsters, Swindlers, Killers & Thieves edited by Lawrence Block

Best Practices for America's Best Churches edited by Paul Wilkes & Marty Minchin

Finished:

Drone Command by Mike Maden

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Not Working by Lisa Owens

The Legacy by Stephen Frey

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin

Last Edited on: 4/2/18 7:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2018 3:09 PM ET

The Women In The Castle by Jessica Shattuck. Excellent so far!

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/3/2018 11:14 PM ET

Just finished: The Plot Against America by Phlip Roth. I wanted to like this book. It took me more than a week to finish. It was more the writing than the story. His sentences  are long and run on, I found it hard to follow.

Started: Book:   Blood Work by Michael Connelly. This is more  my style.

bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2018 1:45 PM ET

Finished in February:  Natural Disaster I Cover Them, I am One  by: Ginger Zee

Secrets of Cavendon  by: Barbara Taylor Bradford

Obama  An Intimate Portrait  by: Pete Souza

Currently Reading:     Eve    by: William Paul Young

Hope to get to:          Home Front   by:  Kristin Hannah  for book club

Goldwyn     by:  A. Scott Berg

The Shell Collector  by: Anthony Doerr

One Breath Away   by:  Heather Gudenkauf

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/6/2018 2:39 PM ET

Class A: Baseball in the Middle of Everywhere by Lucas Mann. non fiction.

eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2018 4:12 PM ET

Just started The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 3/6/2018 8:40 PM ET

The east side of my house was flooded in Feb., so that being my book area, I can't get to it right now.  I'm in the process of having the carpet removed, the furniture is all jumbled up, waiting to have a French drain put in, recarpeting, and then finding someone to help put the furniture back. This is going to take some time and a lot of $$$.

So:  nothing. I am donating a whole bookcase of books to an dementia center in town.

Judye

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/12/2018 7:55 PM ET

The Crusade in Europe by Dwight D Eisenhower. I have wanted to read this book for a long time. I had the hardcover wish listed and I just found this pbk sort by accident.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2018 12:52 PM ET

Just finished the memoir Not My Father's Son by actor Alan Cumming.  Wow, I couldn't put it down.  This book has a giant wishlist, but I assure you it is well worth the wait.  ***** Five stars!

Last Edited on: 3/13/18 12:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2018 4:45 PM ET

Finished My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout- loved it

Now onto Out Of Bounds, a mystery by Val McDermid.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2018 2:27 PM ET

Finished this month:  Shadow and Silk by Ann Maxwell [Elizabeth Lowell's former pen name]-  Professor Dani Warren is trying to obtain a rare and precious piece of Tibetan silk to preserve it from destruction.  Shane Crowe is after the same silk to return it to its rightful owners, the Azure monks. A woman who heads The Harmony is after the same silk, but for nefarious reasons. A fun read.

Plain Jane by Fern Michaels--- Jane Lewis has always been a "plain Jane" [in her mind anyway], so when handsome Michael Sorenson, a guy she had a crush on in college, wants to take her out she has her doubts. Why? She is now a successful psychiatrist with her own talk show. But she is also plagued by guilt concerning what happened to another college friend. Interesting story line with some romance and mystery thrown in.

The Darling Dahlias and the Texas Rose by SusanWittig Albert --- The Dahlias garden club of Darling, Alabama is in charge of this year's Watermelon Festival. The highlight of the week-end will be Lily Dare and her Dare Devil Flying Circus. A look at the 1930s Depression era in a small rural town and how people coped.  I love this series!!

Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews --- A fun read as are all of Andrews' books.  Gina Foxton has a regional cooking show on PBS and has a chance to go national if she can win a cook-off with Tate Moody, the 'hunk' who has a cooking show on another channel.

Forbidden Ground by Karen Harper --- 2nd in the Cold Creek series.  Anthropologist Kate Lockwood has come back to Cold Creek to be in her sister's wedding and also to try to get permission to excavate the Adena burial mound on Grant Mason's property. Grant doesn't want the mound entered, but the reason he gives Kate isn't the real one, and then when tragic events begin to happen they both begin to question why.  The ending is a total surprise. Good read.

The Horse You Came In On by Martha Grimes --- Scotland Yard's Inspector Richard Jury comes to Amertica along with Melrose Plant and Sargeant Wiggins to investigate the death of a friend's nephew.  While they really have no authority, the police in the U.S. cooperate because they are at a dead end.  As always an interesting read.

The Book of Old Houses by Sarah Graves -- Jacobia Tiptree has sent an old book to an expert to authenticate, but when he is murdered and the book disappears, "Jake" and her friend Ellie set out to find the answer.  But there is someone else who is also looking for answers.  Fun series.

One False Move by Harlan Coben --- Myron Bolitar is representing Brenda Slaughter, a member of the women's professional basketball league. She's being followed and getting threatening phone calls, because she's looking for her mother who deserted her as a child. Surprise ending, good read!

High Country Fall by Margaret Maron --- Judge Deborah Knott is in the North Carolina mountains, filling in for a judge on vacation. A young man is in court charged with voluntary manslaughter, and while there seems to be evidence he's guilty, his friends claim he couldn't be.  Deborah starts to ask questions on her own, and when other events happen his guilt seems more in doubt.

Santa Fe Rules by Stuart Woods --- Ed Eagle is hired by movie producer Wolf Willett to defend him against charges he murdered his wife and two other people. Trouble is, Wolf can't remember whether he did it or not. Lots of twists and turns getting to the truth. I enjoyed this first in the series.

Hunter's Moon by Dana Stabenow --- Kate Shugak and three others have been hired on as guides for a group of German hunters in Alaska's wilderness. This group is just out for the sport of killing, and when bodies start piling up, Kate knows it's not just animals that are the targets.

Somewhere Along the Way by Jodi Thomas --- Harmony, TX is a little town that seems to draw people in need of friends.  Reagan Truman is one who came to Harmony and was taken in by an uncle. Liz Matheson's family is in Harmony and she never thought she'd come home, but here she is, setting up a law practice. Gabe Leary is trying to hide out in Harmony while his wounds heal. When these and other people begin to interact with one another lives are changed. A sweet read.

Dying to Have You by Heather Graham --- Serena McCormack is the star of a soap opera and it seems someone wants her dead, but who?  The story leaves the reader trying to guess who up until the very end while all the bodies keep piling up!

Currently reading: The Dying Game by Beverly Barton

Last Edited on: 3/30/18 11:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
repoman avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/16/2018 11:26 AM ET

Class A: Baseball in the Middle of Everywhere by Lucas Mann. non fiction.

Thanks for this tip Charles, it looks fascinatoing!

I am reading the first in the Lincoln Rhymes series "The Bone Collector" by Jeffrey Deaver - The relationship between the cop and the crippled detective in extroidinary as is the charactor study of the criminal.  Have ordered two more in the series.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/25/2018 6:41 PM ET

I have been re-reading some great books.  One was The Temple of My Familar by Alice Walker.  Still a great read.  Also, re-read both Dalva and The Road Home by Jim Harrison.  Still two of my favorites.  And last but not least, the sequel to The Physician, titled, Shaman by Noah Gordon.  Starting to re-read Raising the Stones by Sherri Tepper.  I highly recommend all of these books, if you haven't read them, don't miss the great story telling they hold.

My new read is News of the World by Paulette Jiles.  I have swapped for three of her books here, but not gotten around to reading them.  I am ready to start because if she writes characters as good as the ones in this book, she will become a keeper author for me.