Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Minimum requests per month/year to still remain active member?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
thekoose avatar
Subject: Minimum requests per month/year to still remain active member?
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 7:13 AM ET

Does anyone know what the minimum requests per month or year you need to do to keep your membership active?  I have my wish list on hold.  I usually log in every day.  

If I do not have any active requests for a while, do you know how long I can go and still keep my membership active?

Last Edited on: 7/17/12 7:17 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
kilchurn avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 7:43 AM ET

There is no minimum.  As long as you respond to any offers, your account will remain open until you request that it be closed.

debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 8:41 AM ET

From the Terms Of Use:

Dormant Accounts
An account may be deemed "dormant" when no items have been ordered, shipped, or purchased within any 1 year period. Dormant accounts may be closed and any accumulated Book Credits forfeited without compensation to the account holder.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 8:58 AM ET

That text says "may be deemed dormant" - have they, in fact, been deeming accounts dormant? I've never heard of it happening - and it seems that we would have, if people's credits were vanishing. Does anyone know?

kilchurn avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 9:05 AM ET

If you are logging in on a regular basis, your account won't be deemed dormant.

debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 9:32 AM ET

If you are logging in on a regular basis, your account won't be deemed dormant.

Mary, do you happen to know if that is true for SwapaCD site as well?

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 10:52 AM ET

I think it's probably only a problem if you have unanswered requests, messages or WL offers. But if everything is on hold then you probably won't have any of those issues. 

I don't think they do anything to purge inactive accounts unless things are going unanswered.  I've had plenty of WL books I posted and books I've requested time out on members who have no books added to their shelf or WL in years.  I'll go back later to see if they were closed and most of the time they're still open.  (I know the bookshelf/WL may not be a good guide but no WL books younger than 2 or 3 years screams inactive to me). 

kilchurn avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 11:06 AM ET

Debbie,

The team doesn't routinely purge accounts on any of the sites.  We have many members who haven't had trades in over a year, but log in every day to participate in the forums.  The only way you are going to get flagged is if you miss requests.  The team will then check the account, put it on vacation hold and notify the member.   If there is no response from the member, then the account will be suspended/closed.

Last Edited on: 7/17/12 1:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 1:27 PM ET

As already state, missing requests is what gets an account flagged. 

At this time PBS does not have a minimum transaction or log-in requirement to remain active.

debs avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 2:23 PM ET

SwapaCD polcy for dormant accounts looks slightly different:

Dormant Accounts
An account is dormant when no items have been ordered, shipped, or purchased within any 1 year period. Accounts with a positive credit balance that are dormant for longer than 1 year will be assessed a dormant account service charge of one credit per month until all credits have been depleted or the accounts is reactivated.

So Mary, are you saying that unless my account is flagged as 'non-responsive' to requests, I won't start losing my credits if I don't have any incoming/outgoing cd's for a year or more?  The reason I'm concerned is that I have a 45-cd wishlist there, which is very slow to get activity (but it DOES get activity from time to time).   Haven't received any CD's since last November.  I do log in every day, however, to check to see where I am on the wishlist for each one. 

Last Edited on: 7/17/12 2:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2012 3:14 PM ET

From that info, then if you don't get one of your WL CDs by November, personally, I would either post a CD that is WLed to send out or order something from the system to reset the account.

lens avatar
Len S. (lens) - , - PaperBackSwap Team
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Approver medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2012 4:29 PM ET

We do not remove credits or close accounts on any of the three sites just for being inactive, though we reserve the right to do so. Inactivity is a factor considered when our system points out members that are doing things that harm the club. Here are some things that cause accounts to be reviewed for closure, but these are examples, not an exhaustive list:

Fraud of any kind.

Failing to respond to or declining requests.

Failing to respond to Wish List offers. (Not the same as logging in and declining WL offers)

Not marking books received in a timely manner.

Marking emails as spam. This is due to a legal agreement we have with email providers. Each time a member marks an email as spam (accidentally or otherwise), he or she is telling their email provider that they never signed up for our site. This causes the email provider to contact us requesting that we not send that member any more email. Since email is crucial to the participation in the sites, we are forced to close the member's account.