Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Missing final disk in audio book.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Missing final disk in audio book.
Date Posted: 11/27/2018 1:40 PM ET

Is there a way to notify people not to order from a person who sent a 6-disc book with only 5 discs? I mean, who counts the discs, anyway? I ASSUME (I know) that everyone here is on the up and up, and if I found a missing disc that I had failed to mail, I would CERTAINLY, IMMEDIATELY mail it, even if I had to jump through hoops to find the address!!

Hubby and I were listening to a 6-disc book on our Thanksgiving road trip and when the 5th disc finished, there was NO 6TH DISC!! Now we will never know how this book ended. I have PMd the sender, but expect NOTHING as he hasn't done anything in a YEAR since I got it.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/27/2018 2:18 PM ET

That's an unfortunate situation.

It is completely the sender's responsibility to make sure that the book is complete. On the other hand, as the receiver, you should check it carefully before you mark it received so you can report issues promptly while they still might be resolved.

The sender may not have listened to the book themselves, they may have received it from someone else, or even purchased it at a sale and never knew that it was not complete. They may not have the other disk to give you and never even known it was missing. (I purchase books myself that I have never read and post them here on occassion, it's very common actually. I flip thru them to make sure they are OK, but if there is a special issue with one page that is not noticable from a flip thru, I am not likely to notice it.).

Perhaps you could find the book via your local library and finish it that way. I think many libraries have audiobook loaning.

There is NO WAY to make someone elses name known on this site as a "bad sender". For all you know, they may have thousands of perfectly satisfactory trades behind them with other people. PBS wants traders to work out issues between themselves and not in public.

If you contacted this other sender and they have not responded to your message, PBS also frowns on that. So, if they won't answer your messages, then contact PBS and let them know that your sender won't answer you. PBS will attempt to contact the sender on your behalf (although they will not just take your word on the issue and give you your credits back).

However, I'll be honest, if this trade was a year ago, I think it's a lot to expect to complain about it now and expect the sender to fix it. For all they know, you lost the disk yourself. (I realize that you probably know that you did not lose it ... but how will the sender be sure of that after a year? They may also be "sure" they always check books before they mail them out or some such.) 

Good luck! I hope you can find the book somewhere so you can hear the ending!

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/28/2018 6:56 AM ET

I purchased a sealed audio book in a clearance bin from a used book store a few years ago. I opened it up a few days later and found a couple of discs were missing. Someone mentioned contacting the publisher and see if them might replace the missing disc. So, I contacted them and they replaced the discs that were missing. You can try doing that, you might be surprised.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/28/2018 8:30 AM ET

Maybe you can find the paper book and 'read' the ending.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2018 6:50 AM ET

I do a lot of audiobook trading here and always count discs when I receive the books and before I send them out.  I, too, learned that lesson the hard way - I will also be the one standing in the UBS or thrift store opening each and every audiobook box and counting the discs before I buy them.  I have had a few missing discs on received/purchased books over the years and it is usually the last disc.  I have found that it is the disc that gets left in the player and forgotten about b/c the book is finished and they are not removing it to put in the next disc to continue the book.  When the missing disc is from a PBS swap, I have mostly been successful in getting the missing disc sent to me once the sender realizes it or getting my credits back b/c they can't find it - that is usually  in those instances where they haven't listened to the book themselves before posting.  I'm not sure you have much hope here though if it's been a year since you received the book. . . . All of my problem swaps were dealt with immediately rather than later.   Like someone else suggested, try your library to see if they have the book so you can at least finish it.  This has worked for me when I have had a book where one of the discs is so scratched that I can't listen to it.  Yes, it's a hassle but if it was a really good book, I went to the trouble to get it and listen to it.