Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: NEW!! Mystery/Thriller Voting --- Closed

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
tammy60 avatar
Subject: NEW!! Mystery/Thriller Voting --- Closed
Date Posted: 10/13/2012 10:00 AM ET

Just a little info to get us started.  I am new to this.  I am currently doing the discussion for The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, but it is the first time I’ve ever led a discussion.  Please bear with me as we go along, hopefully I’ll get better with time.

I am starting the Mystery/Thriller discussion group.  For voting and adding a book or books click here. Voting will be open from 10/13 and close 10/27.  We will read the winning book in November and discuss in December.

**If adding a book that is not WL'd, Please make sure the books you are listing for voting have 8 or more copies in the system, so that those who want to join in will be able to get a copy.

New...

****Posting and voting on Wishlisted books has now been added. I know that some people (me included) are on limited financial resources, so if a book wins that is WL'd and you want to read and join in the discussion, please don't be shy about borrowing from you local library if you can't buy the book.

I want to promote PBS and encourage that books be gotten from thru PBS, but I also realize that sometimes this just isn't possible. The Mystery/Thriller Discussion group is about sharing and discussing our thoughts and opinions on books and I want anyone who is excited about sharing and discussing to have that opportunity.  Mystery/Thrillers are my favorite genre.  And I would enjoy discussing the winning read each month with fellow readers.

Within the genre of Mystery/Thriller there are sub-genre’s.

Police & Detective – Spy & Intrigue – Forensic & Anthropological/Archeological – Medical – Legal – Action Thriller – Psychological - Historical, and probably others I haven’t mentioned, all are welcome as candidates for voting on to read. 

**Please no Cozies or Fantasies, Deb K.(debontheweb)has a Cozy Discussion group started, you can go there for the cozies & Chris B.(mannythepoolshark) is doing the Fantasy Discussion group.

Of course, the book with the most votes wins for that month’s read/discussion. 

In the event of a tie, I will break the tie. If a book that I have listed for voting is involved in the tie, I will vote for the other book. If it is a 3 way or more tie and one of them is a book I listed, I will vote between the books I did not list.

If the book or books you listed in a voting session did not win, you can add them again for the next month’s voting if you want to.

If anyone would like to lead a discussion, let me know and I will gladly step aside that month.  Don’t be shy to step in.  If you need pointers on doing a discussion, there a several of us here that would be glad to help, just ask.

Any questions, ideas, suggestions or comments, are greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Last Edited on: 10/31/12 12:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 10/13/2012 2:00 PM ET

This is convenient, I have both of those books but haven't read them yet, just got the Cain series. I'll troll my TBR pile and see if I can find anything that has copies in the system. 

tammy60 avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2012 2:21 PM ET

I only have the first 2 books in the series right now. 

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2012 3:15 PM ET

I added a couple of books and voted. Mystery is one of my most read genres.

tammy60 avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2012 6:48 PM ET

Wow, those are some good books!  I've put all 4 of them on my reminder list.  lol!!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/16/2012 11:02 PM ET

Hmmm I thought I had a copy of In the Woods but I must have lost my dang mind or the book because I can't find it in my shelves. Guess if it wins I'll have to order a copy.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 10/17/2012 12:53 AM ET

I haven't voted yet because they all look good, be kinda silly to vote for all of them. Maybe I'll hold off in case there's a tie going or more books are added. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/17/2012 4:30 AM ET

I used to vote for all of the ones I like but then we kept having the need for a tie breaker so I decided to wait until the last minute. With this one though Tammy has shortened the voting time so don't forget to get your vote in before it's too late.

tammy60 avatar
Date Posted: 10/17/2012 8:45 AM ET

Yeah, sorry about the short voting time.  blush  I thought it would be easier to get the discussion going the beginning of Dec. instead of the middle when everyone will be getting really busy for Christmas & New Years.  That way if the discussion looses momentum, we will have had a couple weeks to discuss the book.  The next voting cycle will be Nov. 1 to 30. Is that how you do it Chris, giving a month to vote?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/17/2012 9:32 AM ET
Yeah, I usually give a month but you can do it however you like.
tammy60 avatar
Date Posted: 10/17/2012 9:40 AM ET

I thought that was how you did it.  I'll do it the same way, that way everyone has time to decide if they want to join in & to vote.  Also, it gives everyone time to rotate in time to read whatever book will be chosen & for others to find us & see what we're about.

Cool beans!!  LOL!!

tammy60 avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2012 10:49 AM ET

Just wanted to announce that voting will end in 2 days, in case anyone out there wants to vote and hasn't done so yet.