Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Isnt It Nice

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 12/7/2010 8:19 PM ET

I refuse to reward someone who is looking for new books from a used book site and would rather surprise the heck out of someone who will appreciate it.

You are probably surprising the heck out of people who don't care at all. I get like new books from other members frequently. Sure, it's better than a RWAP book, but I don't care in the least that it is like new ... it is likely going to get stuck in the bottom of my purse for a little while as I read it. It is unlikely to be like new when I post it.

The person who will appreciate the like new book the most is the person who is requesting it in the first place.

I have little problem being a little snippy with people who have RCs that show that they want collectible or resalable copies, that's not what we are here for.

Sure, it is, why not?

I order mostly things I want to read and repost (90% of what I order) ... but sometimes I order books I am intending to collect. Why shouldn't I?

You can't tell a darn thing about anybody from the one and only book order you receive from them with a RC. You have no clue whether they order all their books with RCs or only one per year.  Many people post in the forums that they turn their RCs on and off for books. Many people are collecting 1 or 2 or 3 authors and everything else, they repost.

You are most likely being snippy to people who are only collecting a few books and are otherwise using the site the way you seem to think it should be used.

Anyway, as many people have discussed before in the forums ... it is practically impossible to make any kind of profit off the majority of books on PBS.

Date Posted: 12/7/2010 10:22 PM ET

Well, Regina, since you brought this into the public forums, I'll respond here and defend myself.

I'm the person Regina is inaccurately describing here. Aside from the fact that she completely misrepresented her initial message to me (which was very snide in its tone), I tried to explain to her that I'm a book collector and I like my books to not have any creases in the spine or cover, but this did nothing to do deter her from repeatedly accusing me of being a reseller while moving well beyond being "a little snippy" and into the realm of personal attacks.

Throughout all of this, she continually accused me of types of behavior without any evidence whatsoever to back up her accusations. Trade with me or don't trade with me, Regina--I really don't care. I just don't appreciate being misrepresented the way you have misrepresented me. My RC are easy to follow, and I even say in them that I don't mind if you mark that you can't send it; I'm happy to wait in line for the next copy. I don't deserve the type of treatment you dish out so cavalierly toward other members such as myself. It's members like you that ruin the otherwise good trading experiences that the other, well-meaning members of this site enjoy with one another.

Date Posted: 12/7/2010 10:25 PM ET

Sara, thank you for making several well-reasoned points. Even if I was a reseller (which I'm not), I don't now how it would be possible for me to make any kind of profit on the types of books I request.

Date Posted: 12/7/2010 11:11 PM ET

Let's see, I never mentioned your name or gave any way to track you and I never made personal attacks you are the one who resorted to name calling in your emails. 

Thanks for bringing your name into this in public...appreciate that! You seem really defensive about my response to you and your RC...you had to go through some gyrations to track me down so that you could PM me to cry and now you hunt this down and bring yourself out in public to defend yourself again?

Wonder what you are hiding?

Date Posted: 12/8/2010 12:02 AM ET

I'm not hiding anything. I hope that everyone can see by the tone of your comments the type of person you really are. As far as name-calling goes, I did nothing of the sort, which I explained to you. And I didn't have to go through any "gyrations"--I just clicked on your name because i was going to send you a message, and this thread popped up.

Again, I hope everyone can see you for who you are. Apparently, setting the record straight can't be construed as anything other than "hiding" something--and what that something might be, I still haven't figured out.

Date Posted: 12/12/2010 2:38 PM ET

When you order a book and click on "Order more from this member" you can get their name. Assuming you remember it, you can PM them later!

Page: