Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: November readers. what are you reading? (don't forget to vote)

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: November readers. what are you reading? (don't forget to vote)
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 12:12 PM ET

smileysad

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 4:29 PM ET

I'll be voting, Charles.  Anything to get these political ads off the air!  :)

I finished 'The Sixth Day' by Catherine Coulter which was quite good.  This one was in her 'Brit in the FBI' series.  Love her 'FBI Thrillers' as well.  These are just about as thrilling as I get!  This one featured Nicholas Drummond, (the Brit) and his FBI team working in London to thwart a young man and his siblings who are trying to decimate London with drones.  A book I couldn't put down.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 4:40 PM ET

Reading Out, an award winning Japanese crime thriller.  Has anyone else read it and if so, what did you think of it?  Already voted!  Always vote absentee as I am out of time on that day.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 8:09 PM ET

I read Out a few years ago. That was one of the grossest books I have ever read. I almost couldn't take it. The social aspects of Japan that are revealed in the story were interesting but the murders were hard for me to take.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 8:17 AM ET

Death to Go by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. This book was originally called Necrochip. I thought it started a little slowly but picked up tremendously through the middle. The ending was a bit anticlimatic. The main detective is Bill Slider. He is married with 2 kids but has a mistress. He wants to divorce his wife but can't work up the courage to confront her. The group of detective are always cracking jokes with each other.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2018 7:37 AM ET

I just finished Mycroft and Sherlock by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Very entertaining

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/5/2018 10:11 PM ET

Almost finished with 'Dyeing Up Loose Ends' by Maggie Sefton in her continuing knitting series.  The first 30 pages or so some of the characters reminisce about some of the  'murder cases' they have dealt with over the years.  One reviewer thought this was just a wasted and boring item, but I thought it was quite good.  You are in for a little shock however, if you follow the series you'll find this one opens with a jump in time, it is now 4 years later than the last book.  A little disconcerting to say the least!  :)

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2018 10:07 AM ET

I finished reading The Forbidden Door (Jane Hawk #4) by Dean Koontz. Don't think it was as good as the first three but I still didn't want to put it down. There was one character (Egon) when reading his parts kept irritating me very bad. Kept hoping Jane would kill him off quick. I'm also hoping that the next book will be the last in the series and tie everything up. It's starting to get a little old.

I've been listening to more audio books lately, mostly at work. I work alone and very seldom have anyone come to the office so it gets pretty quiet. Right now I'm listening to Death Over Easy (Country Store #5) by Maddie Day. Before this one, it was Biscuits and Slashed Browns from the same series.  The reader is doing a great job but her voice seems much older than what I would picture the MC to be.

Waiting for the new David Baldacci book to come out in a week or so with his new character Atlee Pine. Have it on hold at the library.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 7:39 PM ET

Finished Out and while it was graphic in places the writing is outstanding and the story gives the reader a quite different image of Japan than many have.  It was quite good.  I give it four stars.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/28/2018 3:40 PM ET

bump

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/28/2018 3:50 PM ET

I have started Janet Evanovich's Hardcore Twenty-Four.  This series used to be one of my favorites, but it is very weary and needs to be retired. One the book in a swap otherwise wouldn't be reading it.