Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Caregivers' Forum Caregivers' Forum

Topic: Nursing Home Reading Group

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Nursing Home Reading Group
Date Posted: 2/28/2012 11:42 AM ET

I am looking for a few book suggestions for my reading group.  We are a nursing home and I read to a few of the residents once a week.  We have recently read "Heaven is for Real" and "Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt".  We are starting on "Shackeltons Incredible Voyage" next week and will need to get started on finding copies of the next book on our list.  Unfortunatley they have no suggestions and I cant seem to find anything that is upbeat  without tons of curse words.  Do any of you have any suggestions for a book?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2012 3:30 PM ET

How about The Five People You Meet in Heaven?

Last Edited on: 3/1/12 3:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2012 5:28 PM ET

I have read that, it should be a good one for them.

Thank You

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2012 9:49 PM ET

You might check out The Cat Who mystery series by Lillian Jackson Braun or Jan Karon's Mitford series or Father Tim series.  They are generally upbeat, do not contain bad language, and have respectful portrayals of older characters.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/10/2012 9:33 PM ET

I agree with Beth,  I loved the Mitford series.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/18/2012 5:29 PM ET

It's been a long time since I've ready any Fannie Flagg so I can't remember how much cursing may or may not be in it but all of her's are good and I think they'd love them.  The things that happen in the book are relateable to their generation and it has some humor as well as heart-warming stuff too. 

kat2009 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/8/2012 11:37 PM ET

What about "The Secret Life of Bees", also "Ninety Minutes in Heaven".

tsatske avatar
Date Posted: 7/11/2012 8:53 AM ET

I really enjoyed 'The last surviving confederate widow tells all'. It may have some delecate subjects in it, though - a very young bride to a much older man, her reaction to her introduction to sex, a very young solder and his reaction to war and the death of another very young solder, and racism and dementia. I found the book very good, though, and I don't remeber any cuss words. There was a lot of humor in the story.

kat2009 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/28/2013 2:22 PM ET

I just finished reading "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. It tells the story of a Harvard professor who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and her journey through it. I chose it from the list for World Book Day as one of my choices to distribute. However, I needed to read it first. It was very interesting and raises a lot of questions about the capabilities of the mind, treatment, awareness, etc. I would recommend this book to your group. 

P.S. How did you get the group started? I would love to do something similar here.