Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: It's October ~ boo! Watcha reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: It's October ~ boo! Watcha reading?
Date Posted: 10/1/2017 5:10 PM ET

I have just finished the first four books of Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series.  Very good if you haven't read them. Nice character development.  Should read them in order, though.

kmc1987 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/2/2017 5:29 PM ET

I'm working on In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.  It's ok so far.  Hopefully it picks up.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/2/2017 6:19 PM ET

I've also read "Grace to the Finish" by Julie Hyzy.  Excellent as always by this author.  I seem to remember some time back that there was some discussion about what state this book takes place in.  The fictional town of Emberstown is in Virginia.  First time I've ever seen a referance to it in all of the series.

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2017 8:26 AM ET

I finished Christmas Calamity by M.K. Scott, the 4th book in the Painted Lady Inn series. I've been reading this series on my Kindle and like it quite a bit. Nicely written cozy.

Last Edited on: 10/3/17 8:34 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2017 11:14 AM ET

I just finished Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo.  It's an older book (2009) but the series has such great reviews I thought I would give it a try.  Pretty gruesome to start and I thought I would put it down as I don't do horror, but the story evolved and although it was disturbing in places the story as a whole was well written and definitely held my interest.  I ended up finishing it and giving it 4 stars.  

vintagejoy avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2017 9:06 PM ET

I ordered a couple books by Deanna Raybourn, again an older series like Una's, and picked up the first book to look at the first couple pages. I am now on page 287.  Can hardly put it down.  This is a five book series set in Victorian England.  The MC is Lady Julia Grey, who's husband, Edward, dies right in front of his party guests.  Nicholas Brisbane is a private inquiry agent who was at the party at Edwards request as he felt someone was meaning him harm.  Julia and Nicholas partner to prove whether or not Edward was murdered.  Absolutely love the characters and the mystery.  Thankfully I have the second book in the series as well and have just bought a cheap version of #3 from Amazon.  This series should be read in order I think.  ~ Becky, if you haven't read this series already, I think you would really like it.

Last Edited on: 10/3/17 9:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2017 10:47 PM ET

Joy, how are the leaves looking???  Don't like the weather forecast of rain on Tuesday, but we'll have fun anyway.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2017 9:52 AM ET

Hi folks! I've been reading quite a lot of fantasy and sci-fi and paranormal stuff lately but the planets have aligned such that I'm now back in mystery mode, it would seem. Just finished Tug of War by Barbara Cleverly, #6 Joe Sandilands historical. I thought this one was kind of ho-hum and predictable but 'ok' I guess. Not a favorite series, but it just happened to come to hand. In audio, I just finished up the first of a new-to-me series, The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen, which is touted as the Medieval Oxford series. Set in the same time frame and place as Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew books (1350's Oxford), it was a really well written first book and also excellent narration. I see there's 3 more books in the series to look forward to! I quit reading the Bartholomew books after about book 18, just got too repetitive and same-old, same old, so it was good to be back in that venue with a fresh look on things.

Current reads: In print, I'm actually reading a cozy! (gasp!!) Or I guess kind of a semi-cozy, it's slightly more edgy and realistic than most, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten this far...LOL Something Borrowed, Something Bleu by Cricket McRae, which is #4 in the Home Crafting series. In audio, I'm listening to Lie Down With the Devil by Linda Barnes (#12 Carlotta Carlyle mystery). I did something I almost never do--skipped a book. I could not get hold of #11 anywhere without paying some ridiculous price,  so I just skipped it. One of my goals for this year is to polish off a few of these older series that have been languishing on my To Read list forever. As this book was published in 2008, I'm relatively certain it's the last in the series. On my kindle, I'm reading a general fiction/speculative fiction book called The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan, which I'm enjoying a lot.

Haven't been in for awhile, hope all is well with you all!

Cheryl

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 3:21 AM ET

The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson. about 50 pages in and I like this so far. the action starts during the 2nd WW and it's going to go on for some years after.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 6:51 AM ET

Last night I really felt like reading a historical mystery set long ago. Fortuanately I have way too many. I came upon

The Cup of Ghosts by Paul Doherty

It is set in early 1300 England during the Reign of Edward II. Paul Doherty wrote his doctorate thesis on Edward II and Queen Isabella. Detail and writing is wonderful. Lots of mysteries too. I highly recommed. The main character is Mathilde of Westminster. A female physician. Unusual for that time. Excellent so far. Highly recommend.

alice

kmc1987 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2017 5:02 PM ET

Joy L. Did you know there are other books that follow that series?  I was intrigued so I looked it up on Fantastic Fiction.  Here is what I found. Apparently, the ones after the 5th book are only on audio, or maybe some on kindle. But just thought I would let you know!

Lady Julia Grey
0.5. Midsummer Night (2014)
1. Silent in the Grave (2006)
2. Silent in the Sanctuary (2007)
3. Silent on the Moor (2009)
4. Dark Road to Darjeeling (2010)
5. The Dark Enquiry (2011)
5.5. Silent Night (2014)
5.6. Twelfth Night (2014)
5.7. Bonfire Night (2014)

vintagejoy avatar
Date Posted: 10/9/2017 2:55 PM ET

Thanks very much, Karen!  The Veronica Speedwell series look interesting. I've put them all on the wish list.  I finished the second book in the series, now I'm waiting for the third that I bought on Amazon to arrive.

Una, the leaves are about 50% or so.  But there are some beautiful trees to be seen. 

Last Edited on: 10/9/17 3:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/10/2017 1:06 AM ET

Murder Must Wait by Arthur Upfield. There is a series of baby snatchings. A woman is murdered when one of the babies is taken. The inspector is putting his efforts into solving the baby snatchings hence the title. The first Upfield I read was The New Shoe. I think it was a little better than this one, but I have a ways to go before I finish this one. I have ordered 2 other Upfield books. Waiting for them to arrive.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/12/2017 4:01 PM ET

Just starting The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths. Love this series.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2017 12:39 PM ET

I've been missing in action for several months. I have been ready a lot, but not keeping a record of the books. I started reading Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady) by J.A. Jance.

A lot has happened this year. In January I had pneumonia and was sick for a few weeks.

Feburary: we lost Mau the Siamese.

March: my nephew's wife decided that she was a lesbian and left him. My sister has been watching my great nephew and niece.

April: we were going to meet a group to go camping and do some gold prospecting. DH caught the back of the RV on the over-hang on the shop. Crushed in the side broke out the windows on the side. The insurance company totaled it out. We also lost another cat.

May: took the side-by-side out in the middle of nowhere. The back axle broke the cotter pin and the wheel fell off. DH had to walk a mile and a half to go get the truck. We did go to New Hampshire the end of May and had a nice time.

June: we fixed the axle and I asked DH if he checked all the wheels, so that wouldn't happen again. Went out to the middle of nowhere again. This time the front wheel fell off. I told him that I thought he checked the wheels. Yes, but only the back wheels. DH didn't stand for Darling Husband.

So far, everything is doing better now. We did buy another travel trailer. I've had hip pain since May 2015. It has gotten worse and I've been to several doctors. I've also had a cortison shot and have even tried a chiropractor. None of it has worked. My nurse practioner is going to send me to a pain management doctor now. I also have to go to a rheumtologist.

Then our no-common sense nephew (BIL's son) was arrest for doing something really stupid. He had one class left for his teaching degree. He now has to wear an ankle monitor for 2 years. He'll be on probation for several years after that. He can’t leave the state he’s living in. Now he won’t be able to get a job in his field. Was fired from his job and now he can’t find even a job flipping burgers. Trust me, I have no use for kiddie diddler’s.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2017 11:34 PM ET

Amber,  How horrible. You make my troubles feel insignificant. I'm trying to get my present house ready for sale while getting new house in South Carolina ready to move in, with a lot of help from my brother who already lives there. Contractor here in AZ never finished the work promised. Already way over budget on SC house so don't want to hire someone new. 

I feel for your no-common sense nephew. I have a friend who did something stupid, got arrested when he was 18, spent 6 years behind bars. On lifetime probation. His PO, who's a real hard-a***, violated him for going to lunch with his out-of-town family without permission. He went because his mother has terminal cancer and begged him. I went to court with him 4 times to keep him off ankle bracelet. Right after 1st court date his father died unexpectedly. Mother still hanging on. Now he's so depressed he might as well be on house arrest. 

All my mysteries have been packed since May. Movers should be delivering my stuff November 3, I hope. Then it's time to unpack and get reorganized.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 10/16/2017 11:20 AM ET

Joy --- Sometime in the past I read the first of those Raybourn books with Lady Julia Gray --- I never went beyond the first.  Seems I thought it too much fluff.  However, I am reading the "Perilous" series.  Perhaps the first two of them???  They are enjoyable.

Una --- I have read all of the Linda Castillo books.  Reading them in order makes a lot of sense as there are definitely threads which build through the series.  I would say several of them do have a bit of gore related to the initial murder.

Amber --- So sorry for all of your troubles.  Hopefully you will be in for some smooth sailing soon.

My life continues in a muddle --- cousin who helped me move down here 2 years ago assumed that entitled her to as much of my savings as necessary to keep her out of debt.  She is also the one with whom I have been sharing a business.  I am now out of that business which has been some relief.  However, I now have to do something with the house I have been building on continguous property.  I will be selling it and that will likely cause quite a schism in the extended family.  So I am steeling myself to give them that news.  My mother continues to take more of my time and I definitely need to remain here in Tulsa close to her, her docs, etc.  I am getting better about not punishing myself continually for making really foolish "housing" decisions.  Hopefully the one I built will sell without too much fuss and I will be able to move forward.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/19/2017 7:06 AM ET

I am reading an interesting historical paranormal mystery  The Black Mast Murder by Alex P. Berg. It takes place in 1682 in the Carribean. Quite different I am enjoying it.

vintagejoy avatar
Date Posted: 10/23/2017 9:39 PM ET

Oh, my word, Amber!  I am so sorry for all the trouble you've had over the year.  And Becky!  I am so sorry about the business mess.

I have read the third 'Lady Julia Grey' mystery and now have number 4 on the way.  The 'Perilous' books are the Veronica Speedwell books, I think Becky.  I'm glad you liked them, I have some of them on my wish list. 

I have since read 'War and Peach' by Susan Furlong, and am currently reading 'Deadly Scandal' by Kate Parker.  I'm not sure I am going to like this as much as I do the Victorian Bookshop series.  But I've made it to page 58, so will keep plugging along, maybe it will improve.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2017 2:46 AM ET

Read a couple of Tony Hillerman books. The Shape Shifter and The Sinister Pig. Both have the same basic formula. One of the people close to the bad guy changes his spots and helps the good guys defeat the bad guy. Interesting plots. For me the dialog seems a little amateurish. Probably won't read any others of his books.

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2017 10:35 AM ET

I read Sue Grafton's latest book Y is for Yesterday.  Must say, after a couple of the books getting rather blah, this one was back to full speed.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish I didn't have to wait two years for Z is for ......

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/26/2017 8:10 PM ET

I read Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady) by J.A. Jance, The Silent Partner (Diagnosis Murder) and The Death Merchant (Diagnosis Murder) by Lee Goldberg. For Halloween, I'm planning on reading Trick or Deadly Treat by Livia J. Washburn.