Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Oh, No! Now What??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Oh, No! Now What??
Date Posted: 8/27/2009 2:35 AM ET
Member Since: 1/12/2009
Posts: 262
Back To Top

Like some people do, I listed 2 versions of the same book (both pb and hb covers) on my WL in order to get the book sooner.   They were on auto request.  I think that is where I made my mistake.  Now both copies have been "granted", and I'm not sure what to do.  Is there a way to cancel one of them?  Should I let them both come and immediately post one of them, and leave the other on the TBR pile?   When you list all the versions, do you leave them on regular request in order to control this?  In other words, how did this happen?  I sure don't want it to happen again, so this will be a learning experience...!      :)     D.

Last Edited on: 8/27/09 2:50 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 8/27/2009 3:39 AM ET
Member Since: 6/13/2009
Posts: 433
Back To Top

If they're heavily WL, then I'd let them both come.  As soon as one arrives you can always re-list it.

There are only a few books that I have on auto WL, ones I really, really want.  

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 6:52 AM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

If one of them hasn't printed the label yet then you can cancel a request.  You would lose your place in line for that version. If the version you didn't cancel timed out or went lost then you'd go back to #1 only on that version.

I usually put my account on hold if I have a WL book pending and am near the top for another version as well.  I just autorequest anything hard to find/out of print incase that's posted while I'm on hold waiting.


Date Posted: 8/27/2009 8:59 AM ET
Member Since: 8/10/2005
Posts: 4,601
Back To Top

I rarely WL more than one version, although there are a few books I really want that I'll put 2 versions on the WL but that's it. What I do is, as soon as the first version is marked mailed, I delete the other version. Yeah, I know I take a chance of that one version never arriving, but so far it's not happened--and if it did, I'd be back at #1 for that book anyway.

If I were you, I would cancel one of the orders if the label hasn't been printed--since it's wishlisted, it's not hurting the poster of the book any, that would just go to the next person at #1 on the list. You could write a simple note explaining why you cancelled if you want to, but not really necessary. Now, if this is a book you REALLY want, then you may want to let both orders go through and then you can re-post whichever one you don't want once they arrive.


Date Posted: 8/27/2009 9:35 AM ET
Member Since: 12/9/2007
Posts: 9,601
Back To Top

I have had a title on my WL for more than a year.  It's been a very long WL.  I've finally reached the point that  I'm #4 of 104 on one, and 6 of 89 on the other.   Both are same binding.  I've had them on Auto R... but if one gets offered to me, I'll take the other off AutoR so I can kind of control the situation.  I wouldn't have a problem re-listing the 2nd if I got both, but it's a heavy book and will cost a lot to mail.   Nothing like being in a neck and neck race in slow motion!  LOL!! ;D


Date Posted: 8/27/2009 10:09 AM ET
Member Since: 8/17/2008
Posts: 676
Back To Top

I had the same thing happen, but it was before I had my wl on auto request.  so I declined one of the books.  But it is hard to imagine two copies of the same book(different versions) being offered at the same time!  I couldn't beleive it when both appeared on the same day.  I do now have my wl on autorequest and I do put multiple versions of the same book on my list.  I just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again on the same day, so I can remove one from my wishlist.

I would let both versions arrive and then just repost one right away.

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 11:12 AM ET
Member Since: 11/30/2007
Posts: 5,014
Back To Top

I agree with the posters who said to let both versions arrive and then repost one of them. One of them could even be a RWAP, then you would at least have one good book.

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 11:18 AM ET
Member Since: 5/10/2005
Posts: 2,367
Back To Top

I generally change my ARs over to 48-hour if I've been offered another version.

I don't usually take them off until the previous one has arrived.

I am different than most. If there were more wishers after me--I'd cancel if possible if I was sure I didn't want the second.  I would rather cancel a WL book and have it go to the next wisher that much faster than have it show up at my house and then resend it.   It has always seemed more polite to the wishers after me (with the bonus of less work for me!) If there were no wishers I'd probably let it come.

It does depend on the length of the line, how bad I want the book, and how confident I am the first copy was actually coming whether I'd cancel or not. If it was a book I desperately wanted, I'd let them both go through to raise the chance one of them actually arrived!

Ronda (RONDA) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2009 5:48 PM ET
Member Since: 3/3/2009
Posts: 415
Back To Top

i only put 1 version of the book on autorequest (the one that seems most likely to appear) and the other versions are on the 48hour.  I haven't had 2 come up at the same time, but this way I could say no thanks to the 48hour one.  I also prefer paperbacks, so I would lean toward having the paperback on autorequest rather than the hardback.

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 5:56 PM ET
Member Since: 1/1/2006
Posts: 547
Back To Top

I've heard of too many situations where a person cancels the second request only to have something happen to the first book and the receiver is basically SOL and ends up with no copies of the book they wanted.  This is why I ALWAYS wait until I have a book in my hands before I remove other copies from my wishlist or cancel orders.  It's just as easy to immediately repost a book once you get the second one in the mail.


Date Posted: 8/27/2009 7:50 PM ET
Member Since: 11/6/2005
Posts: 642
Back To Top

I've the same situation right now, but I figured it was my mistake, so when I receive both copies, one will go back into the system right away.

One reason this happens (to me, anyway), I don't remove the second book until I have the other in my hot little hands...so sometimes it happens that both wishes get granted.  This happened to me twice, and I didn't cancel, just reposted when I received the book.

Last Edited on: 8/27/09 7:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 8/28/2009 1:26 AM ET
Member Since: 1/12/2009
Posts: 262
Back To Top

<sigh>   They were both printed and both mailed faster than I could cancel either one!  But that is all good information, anyway.  If I ever do 2 listings at once again, one will be automatic and the other 48 hrs. hold, so there's a chance to react.  Then again, like some said, what if the first one goes lost?  So I guess I will just repost one of them immediately after receiving one or both, so the next person in line can have it.   This is a strange situation, IMO, since usually you have to wait forever for a WL book!   What a surprise - 2 at once!   But lately, my WL books have been climbing to the top of the ladder, so that is rewarding - better save some credits!  LOL     Thank you, everybody, for the advice.      :)     D.