Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Okay to post?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Okay to post?
Date Posted: 6/6/2017 5:52 PM ET

I purchased a book recently while on vacation. I was reading it on the plane going home.  The flight attendant dripped a few drops of water on the pages I was reading.  Those pages have some curling on the edges.  Can I post it?  There are many people wishing it and it is in perfect condition otherwise.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/6/2017 5:54 PM ET

You should not post it as it's unpostable.

However, it's fine to offer it as an unpostable book (in the Book Bazaar) for example and request a credit for it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/7/2017 9:02 AM ET

how many pages are we talking about? if only one or 2 pages have slight damage you might try posting and then send a message to requester indicating what is wrong and if they still want it. I have done this and have not gotten any complaints so far. But only if the damage is very slight.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2017 10:50 AM ET

If there is some curling from the water drops, you stand a chance of getting a rwap.  Even if you contact them first, they may decide the 'damage' is greater than they expected.  I'd offer it in the Bazaar and request a credit - it keeps you 'in the right'.

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2017 2:04 PM ET

Here's where you can list it...

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Post-UNPOSTABLE-WISHLIST-BOOKS-Here/topic/117610/

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2017 9:28 PM ET

In a case like that where there have just been a few drops of water on a page, I've had good luck using an iron to dry and smooth those few spots and usually it remedies the problem. I am not recommending ironing a book that has gotten soaked, please don't get me wrong...but for very slight exposure to water with no discoloration of the page, it's worth a try.

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2017 8:09 PM ET

Water damage is not postable. There isn't a degree that is allowed because what is a small drop to one can be a large drop to another and moisture can result in mold even if we don't see it. Sending it thru the system just sets the receiver up to forgetting that they accepting it in a PM and they send it on to someone else that isn't as accepting and they get a RWAP on the book.

If it is wish listed it may go easily in the Book Bazaar. Just make sure to PM the address and use the Give Credit for the exchange, the book shouldn't be posted into the system for a damaged book exchange.