Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Opinion - is a musty basement odor mold?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Opinion - is a musty basement odor mold?
Date Posted: 12/17/2007 9:08 PM ET
Member Since: 9/18/2005
Posts: 3,000
Back To Top

I just received a beautiful book with a really strong musty smell which I reacted to -- got a headache.

The book looks brand new. I've found differing opinions on library and archival websites on whether to consider the book moldy and a risk to breathe (and store by other books). 

I've not attempted deodorizing a book for musty odor before -- I'm afraid I'd just be masking something not healthy for me to breathe.

What's your opinion? Is a book with a strong musty smell (without seeing mold) considered a book with mold?

Date Posted: 12/17/2007 9:27 PM ET
Member Since: 6/30/2007
Posts: 1,837
Back To Top

If it were me, I'd pitch it.  I don't take any chances with mold (very allergic).

Date Posted: 12/17/2007 10:50 PM ET
Member Since: 7/8/2005
Posts: 1,010
Back To Top

Wasn't there a post somewhere about being able to microwave a book to kill the mold spores?

Date Posted: 12/17/2007 11:47 PM ET
Member Since: 5/18/2007
Posts: 13,174
Back To Top

I think if the book looks brand new then it's highly unlikely that it's moldy.

I've bought some new hardbacks that have a perculiar smell to them - one even reeked of cigarette-like-smoke smell for the middle 100 pages or so but I was assured it wasn't smoke by B&N.

I work in our large FOL and we're instructed on mold etc ... and there is a difference between a musty smell (stored in a basement) and midew/mold because of wet conditions.

As for your case, I'd toss it if it bothers your allergies but if it's a new-looking book with no visible mold the sender shouldn't be responsible.



Last Edited on: 12/17/07 11:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 12/18/2007 12:57 AM ET
Member Since: 9/18/2005
Posts: 3,000
Back To Top

Susan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just interested in finding out from anyone else with sensitivities for an opinion on whether or not this odor is likely to cause a sensitivity reaction linked to mold or if trying to desensitize the odor is worth the attempt w/o the possibility of still causing a reaction. (I  react to  bleach,  cigarette  smoke and heavy fragrances).

Just looking for info to help me  -- I never intended to make a fuss and report the book as a problem.

Date Posted: 12/18/2007 1:04 AM ET
Member Since: 9/16/2007
Posts: 996
Back To Top

Shirley -

I agree there's a big difference between mold and mustiness, and if you're not sure which it is, it probably isn't mold.  But it can certainly cause a reaction either way.  I like old books, and used to love that musty smell, but now with asthma I can't tolerate it. 

I'd try to desensitize the smell before giving up on it.

 

Date Posted: 12/18/2007 1:16 AM ET
Member Since: 9/18/2005
Posts: 3,000
Back To Top

Michelle, I thought about that and see several google posts about it. Also found the post here that suggested a microwave might help repair a bent cover which sounded safe enough if the damage is very minor.

Did find an article on booksmart that lists lots of reasons not to cook a book: www.bookthink.com/0005/05cook.htm 

patticom - ,
Date Posted: 12/18/2007 2:35 AM ET
Member Since: 11/3/2007
Posts: 416
Back To Top

Virtually all vintage books (published prior to 1960 or so) have a unique old-book musty smell.  I don't think it is even remotely like mold, but if someone has a no mold condition on their requests I will always turn them down for a vintage book because I don't want to take a chance the smell might offend them and they may count it as moldy, kwim?  To each his own nose.  :)

patti

Date Posted: 12/18/2007 6:03 AM ET
Member Since: 2/24/2007
Posts: 6,447
Back To Top

Well I've seen moldy books and it's definitely something you can see. I have musty books that have been stored in the basement. I haven't posted them cause I haven't even gone thru them but I think that for the musty smell you can place the books in an airtight container and add either a brown bag with kitty litter (clay) or a box of Baking soda and let it sit for a week or 2. That will remove the musty smell. Also works for cigarette smoke.

Date Posted: 12/18/2007 8:56 AM ET
Member Since: 1/8/2007
Posts: 8,139
Back To Top

Has anyone tried putting musty books in a container with those dehumidifying kits, like those ones that you can get for your closet? I wasn't sure if that might help the smell, but I'm sure it would remove any possible moisture from a moist environment.

Date Posted: 12/19/2007 2:28 AM ET
Member Since: 5/18/2007
Posts: 13,174
Back To Top

Shirley - I apologize. I didn't mean to offend nor intrude in a topic I was not wanted in. I simply stated my opinion on the entire topic (mold vs mustiness) - I wasn't pointing fingers and I never meant it to come across that way. I also wasn't aware you were seeking opinions from allergy sufferers only - your OP didn't state that. I was simply stating what I would do, how I would handle it and what I've been instructed to do at the library.

My apologies once again. .



Last Edited on: 12/19/07 2:34 AM ET - Total times edited: 1