Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Ordering from Friends

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Ordering from Friends
Date Posted: 10/1/2016 7:43 PM ET

If I want to order a book that has multiple copies, it seems like I have to order it from a friend. If I leave the friend box empty and just try to order the book, I'm told that the book is unavailable. Am I doing something wrong?

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2016 9:24 PM ET

I have come across this several times and encountered the same thing and have discovered that I have to use the little pull down menu and order from a Friend. Don't ask me why, but if you don't, as you have found out, it says the book is unavailable.

Last Edited on: 10/1/16 9:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2016 10:12 PM ET

That just happened to me a couple days ago.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  Very annoying, for reasons not relevant here, I didn't want to order from a "friend."

mistie avatar
mistie -
Date Posted: 10/2/2016 4:04 PM ET

Please notify TPTB. This SHOULD be a glitch. Just because a friend has the book listed, does not mean you should be unable to order via the FIFO queue.

And, please revisit here to post their response.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2016 8:59 AM ET

It appears that there was a glitch in the system, but now it's fixed. Here is the response from TPTB:

Thanks for providing the example. The system was NOT supposed to be forcing you to request from your friend, but we see that that was what was happening.

You should be able to choose how to direct your request (either from any of your friends who have the book posted OR from FIFO), by making the choice in the dropdown menu under the "Order this Book" button.

We've fixed this now, and we really appreciate you letting us know about the problem!
Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/8/2016 7:29 PM ET

Thanks so much for reporting it, Kathleen!