ON THE ROAD Chapters 17- 23
Pages 316-440 PB, Pages 231-321 HC
Chapter 17 "We Meet a Beggar"
1. How has Jamie and Claire's relationship changed since their wedding?
Chapter 18 "Raiders in the Rocks"
2. Do you feel Jamie is taking advantage of Claire by sleeping with her after the skirmish (when
the men are nearby)?
3. How did you feel about Claire's training in the art of how to dirk a man?
Chapter 19 "The Waterhorse"
4. Why was this incident at Loch Ness significant to the story?
Chapter 20 "Deserted Glades"
5. At this point in the story, do you see any significance in Claire receiving a dragonfly in amber
from Hugh Munro along with a poem?
Then let amorous kisses dwell
On our lips, begin and tell
A Thousand and a Hundred Score
A Hundred and a Thousand More
"...a bit more high-class than your usual fortune cookie." - Claire to Jamie
6. It is at this point that we learn that Dougal may have been the one to shoot Jamie in the head.
How does this change your feelings on Dougal?
7. When confronted, Claire has to kill a man to prevent him from raping her. Does it seem like
this act comes to easy to her?
8. After beginning to find happiness with Jamie, is it right for her to try to escape to Craigh Na
Dun? (Which occurs the day after they are attacked in the glade.)
Chapter 21 "Un Mauvais Quart d'Heure After Another"
9. Claire is bold enough to mess with the things in Randall's office and taunt him when he tries
to rape her. Was this a risk or did she feel confident enough to handle Randall? Or is she just
10. After rescuing her, does Jamie treat her fairly in light of what she did?
Chapter 22 "Reckonings"
11. Was it right for Jamie to beat Claire?
12. At this point, what did you think was the significance of Alex MacGregor's Bible being in
Chapter 23 "Return to Leoch"
13. Claire begins to feel indecision about leaving Jamie for the stone circle. With what we know
at this point, what would you have done if you were Claire?
14. Which love is stronger: Claire's love for Jamie, Claire's love for Frank, Or Jamie's love for
"Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own." - Jamie to Claire after giving her his