Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: packaging

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: packaging
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 3:49 PM ET

when you receive a book in the mail how often do you reuse the packaging when you send out a book?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 5:13 PM ET

I always re-use it if it's still in good shape. Tape fixes a lot of problems.

I probably run about 75% re-usable, 25% that needs to be discarded, either because it is wrapping that was very specific to the book (paper wrapper or something wrapped tightly around the book) or just not in good shape anymore.

I keep a bin on my desk where I stick empty envelopes, and plastic that books came wrapped in, and I pick one when I need tomail a book out.

I haven't bought envelopes in a few years.

kmc1987 avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 6:25 PM ET

I like to try to reuse mine if I can, but sometimes its too tattered. 

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 7:17 PM ET

Never.  Once I cut it open, into the trash it goes.  I buy plastic mailers on Ebay, spend less than 10 cents per mailer which is totally worth it to not have to peel of labels, tape, etc to reuse something and then have to tape it up well so it holds again.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 7:31 PM ET

I save as many as the bubble mailers as I can. The ones reused so much get tossed as well as paper wrappers and the manilla envelopes.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 7:55 PM ET

Like the others, I also re-use if they're in good condition.  I tell myself I'm helping to save the earth. 

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2016 8:38 PM ET

Almost always although it's near impossible to reuse books packed in the printed label sheets. I haven't bought any packaging apart from tape since I started swapping 10yrs ago, first on another site, then here.

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 10:37 AM ET

Bubble wrap bags get reused unless they are on their last legs when the arrive. Otherwise, all wrapping goes into my recycling bin.

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 10:44 AM ET

Almost all bubble mailers I reuse, unless it's clearly in bad shape. Paper wrappers all go in the trash or recycling bin. I don't reuse manila envelopes. I used to save them intending to reuse them, but I found that I wasn't using them because I favored bubble mailers or poly bags or Tyvek mailers, so I recycle the manila envelopes when I can.

I hold on to the poly mailers from online orders (the kind that Gap, Old Navy, Target, etc. use), and use these for mailing books as well. They are especially handy for mailing larger books. I make sure they are wrapped tightly around the book.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 11:41 AM ET

I use bubble wrap envelopes and when I receive books in same I will reuse as often as possible. Otherwise, the wrapping goes into re-cycling. Pat

miz-firefly avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 12:56 PM ET

About 80% of the time. Plain paper eps and paper wrappers pretty much go straight into the recycle bin. But Bubble mailers and plastic envelopes if they are not trashed in the mail are always re-used.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 1:56 PM ET

I reuse all bubble mailer envelopes and boxes so long as they're still in good condition.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/13/2016 4:44 PM ET

Most of the time - no.  We've received a lot of poorly wrapped and/or poorly handled by the usps packages where the envelopes or paper wrapping has one or several sometimes big tears. Others are so tightly mummified (and we prefer it that way) that it takes a lot of careful cutting with scissorrs or a thin knife/box cutter to open.

We save bpxes if they're in good shape.  Also save bubblewrap, cardboard, soft styrofoam (not the peanuts), and what I like to call plastic sheeting - usually thin spongy plastic. Once in a while, we save some heavy duty plastic bags.

We also save some of the packing slip type paper that usually comes with the pbs books and reuse the blank side for the little packing slips we send out.

Like Sarah, for mailers I'd rather start fresh rather than trying to do tape repairs, etc. I like to use cheap mailers my wife found on Amazon (less than 10 cents a piece) or mailers and office/packing supplies we've gotten cheap at garage and estate sales.

Last Edited on: 9/14/16 11:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2016 6:28 PM ET

me too-- 
I re-use 80%, but not always for books.  Since I'm active in the Raok forums here, there are lots of other things I mail out to members. Many are smaller than books so I can trim down ragged edges of manilla envelopes or other mailers.  I try to recycle as much as I can if I don't re-use it.

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2016 9:20 PM ET

A good 80% re-used - mostly boxes and bubble mailers. 

Paper wrapping for Mass Markets usually go to the recycle bin unless its more tape than paper, then its landfill (so sad)!

Last Edited on: 9/21/16 7:30 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/17/2016 2:27 PM ET

This week I received a HC book tightly sealed in one of those Mylar heavy plastic envelopes. All 4 corners had poked through the plastic!!

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/17/2016 3:42 PM ET

PBS suggests that bubble envelopes be used for hardbacks, not the paper wrapper or anything else without padding. It's not against the rules to use a Mylar envelope but someone sure wasn't using their head!

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 12:11 AM ET

75 to 85 % gets reused.  

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 9:19 PM ET

I have one of those really large plastic containers full of envelopes people sent me, which I reuse, plus a slightly smaller one with plastic bags to first wrap the books in. Why waste money buying new packaging? Plus I have the room to store the stuff.