Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Pen marks

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
chocolatyshatnr avatar
Subject: Pen marks
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 10:03 AM ET

I have a bit of a new (to me) issue, so I thought I would turn to all of you for advice (and I hope this makes sense - the time change has my brain firing on about half its usual power).

I am reading a book I received in a swap. I flipped through it quickly for issues, didn't see any, and marked as received. 

As I'm reading, I've noticed little black marks at the start of a few paragraphs. At first I thought it was just an ink smudge from the printing process, but I've realized that someone who read it before me marked their next place to start with a pen mark (and some people think dog-earing books is bad!). It's a slash mark with black pen, not very big, and doesn't occur in the text itself, just next to the indent at the start of about a handful of the paragraphs so far. 

What are your thoughts on posting this book? I'm usually over-picky when I re-post books since I don't want to be RWAPed. But over 70 people are wishing for it, so I'd like to pass it on since it was on my wish list for quite a long time before it came to me. I thought of posting and then sending a PM to let the requester know about the marks but I'm not sure that's allowed. 

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 11:48 AM ET

That does put you in a 'questionable' position, doesn't it?  I would NOT send it as a regular transaction if it was my book.

I'd treat it like a text-book and PM the requestor with the markings info.  Very few would have a problem with that sort of marking as long as it wasn't in the text and the ink didn't bleed through or transfer to the adjacent page. 

You just need to be clear in your explanation (as you were here) and if you take this step, then you DO need to wait for an acceptance before mailing.

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 1:32 PM ET

That stinks! Maybe you can post it somewhere in the Book Bazzaar?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 2:06 PM ET

Yeah, I'd just treat it like a book with writing in it ... post it to your shelf and just PM the person who requests it (and get their OK) before you mail it.

chocolatyshatnr avatar
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 2:52 PM ET

Thanks everyone! I'll PM the requestor about the condition and take it from there. :)

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/16/2017 4:51 PM ET

That bothers me as much as the people who dog-ear pages to mark their place.  Have they never heard of a bookmark?

For the pen mark people, they need to get some magnetic bookmarks since you can put them right on the line you need to start at when you open the book next.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/31/2017 2:30 PM ET

I have dozens of book marks myself. I cut up business cards into 3rds to make 3 book marks. A lot of book marks I pick up at bookstores are so big I cut them into quarters to make 4 book marks. I have book marks scattered all over my house.