Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Penguin Random House and Dropping Cozies

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Penguin Random House and Dropping Cozies
Date Posted: 3/17/2016 7:08 PM ET

I happened to see a post on FB about an open group, Save Our Cozies and checked it out.  Apparently Penguin Book publishers are dropping and discontinuing several cozy series.  A lot of authors are involved with the group so if you are interested  you might want to check them out if you are on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/726103940858234/

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2016 6:28 PM ET

You might be interested in this: From the Dear Author blog (they cover a lot about publishing in general and a lot of non-romance)

I've never even HEARD of 'Adult Coloring Books'  WTH????????

More Berkley/NAL Staffers Are Laid Off – So things are starting to look pretty grim over at Berkley Publishing Group. An unspecified number of staff have been laid off, Berkley President Leslie Gelbman has left, and Locus Magazine reports that layoffs include staff at SFF imprints Ace and Roc. In the midst of all this, Nora Roberts has defected to St. Martin’s Press for a deal that includes her JD Robb books. Gelbman was Roberts’s longtime editor at Berkley. And if all of that wasn’t bad enough, they actually released this statement (because NOTHING says commitment to mass market paperback than gutting its publication base):

When the dissolution of Berkley/NAL as a separate division was announced by Penguin adult publishing president Madeline McIntosh, she wrote to employees at the time, “Berkley will remain committed to publishing in mass market paperback, as well as in other formats, while continuing to refine the size of the list in order to ensure optimum results per title.” – Publishers Lunch/Publishers Weekly

The big business behind the adult coloring-book craze – Never fear, though. Instead of buying mass market paperback books, you can stock up on adult coloring books, which appear to have taken over traditional publishing and bookselling. I actually love coloring books, and I’ve picked up a few really neat volumes lately, but I kind of feel like we’re spiraling down the rabbit hole without anything to break the inevitable fall. Into what, who knows?

It’s not clear whether the rise of adult coloring books has come at the expense of sales in other categories, but the impact of the craze can be seen in various corners of the retail industry: Barnes & Noble has said that strong demand for adult coloring books and artist supplies provided a tail wind to the chain’s total sales in the last three quarters.Wal-Mart, meanwhile, moved in November to add a dedicated 4-foot section for adult coloring books in 2,000 of its stores. And Target started carrying adult coloring books in 1,300 stores in August and within months rolled them out to the rest of the chain. Initially, the big-box retailer was carrying only four titles in stores; this month, it’ll be up to 40.

“I’ve been in this business for 20 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Kathleen Schmidt, vice president at Running Press, which hurried to publish four adult coloring books last year when it saw the category gathering momentum. – Seattle Times

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2016 6:41 PM ET

Cynthia, I can't see what's on FB as I'm not a member

hannah03 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2016 4:53 PM ET

Thanks for sharing.    I have joined the group.    A lot of authors have posted about their series.    Daryl Wood Gerber and Denise Swanson both posted today that their series are in danger unless the sales go up - and go up quickly.     If you're on Facebook, check this group out. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/7/2016 12:04 PM ET

It's sad as a society that people would rather spend their time coloring than read a good book.  

Last Edited on: 7/12/16 2:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 1