Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Please update your wishlists

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Please update your wishlists
Date Posted: 11/7/2018 1:37 PM ET

I have had at least three books that have been on wishlist holds for other people.  In fact one of them I missed out on another order (someone else would have ordered it).  People shouldn’t have to be told to do this but if it isn’t done then you might be causing other people to loose out on points.

Last Edited on: 11/9/18 8:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2018 5:31 PM ET

What do you mean by 'update'?  To me, the only issue should be anything you tried to add since the Friday when maintenance started-- you should double check that those recent books actually got added.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2018 2:52 PM ET

If someone has a book on their wishlist, and they don't want it - or doesn't accept in time - then it rotates down to the next person on the list.  So you shouldn't have lost anything, because the if the other person wanted it, it would have automatically rotated to them, unless they didn't have it on their list, in which case they didn't want it that much.  So I don't understand when you say someone might be losing points.  How?  If they don't order the book, they aren't losing points.  If they do order the book, they know where their points are going.  Or are you saying that you're losing points because the book wasn't ordered by them?  If so, you haven't lost points; you just haven't gained any because no one has as yet wanted the book.

Or: Are you saying that you missed out on ordering a book because you accepted a wishlist book but the member never acknowledged it?  How is anyone losing points from this?  The sender isn't losing anything, and neither are you, because the book was never sent.  I would speculate that you also wouldn't be offered a second book of the same title while you were waiting for a member to accept your request.

So how is this related to people updating their wishlists?  I would just like clarification as to the statement, because it's rather confusing right now.  (Sorry, not trying to be snarky; I just tend to reason things out a bit too much).

Last Edited on: 11/8/18 2:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2018 3:00 PM ET

It's pretty simple: people do not update their wish;ists when they have already gotten the book some other way or they simply don't want it anymore. When a book is listed you could be waiting for it but for whatever reason it doesn't get sent (mostly RCs but other reasons as well). In the meanwhile the same ibook is posted to someone else so you lose out on it.. Not just in the last week.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2018 5:23 PM ET

I think maybe what she's trying to say is that if she has to go through several people who no longer either want the book, or are no longer very active on the site,  and they just ignore it (can't do anything about people who have left the site and didn't close down their bookshelf, etc.), and someone else posts the same book while she's waiting, and there is only one  more wisher, this person will probably get to send the book, and she's still waiting for the person who isn't going to accept due to no longer wanting the book or having left the site but not closing down their shelfs, then she possibly lost the chance to send the book because there are now no longer any wishers.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/9/2018 8:27 AM ET

Yes, exactly what Pat was saying.  For example I had a kids book that was "wished" by like 10 people, well that book had to trickle down through the list of people who no longer had it on their wishlist (every 48 hours).  Well in the meantime, I had another person want to order all my kids books because she was going to send them to a school that was rebuilding their library due to flooding.  This is where I "lost out" on a credit because she would of taken it but it was still going through the wishlists so I couldn't send it to her and we had finished the transaction and I had sent the other books by the time this one had gone through everyone else's wishlists because of the time.

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/10/2018 11:11 AM ET

i have the opposite problem from the op.  i have 2 wishlist books that members posted to me and i accepted right away. they are both set to run out tomorrow the 11th and the members have yet to accept them.  so i ask why post a wl book if you don't plan to accept or send?

Last Edited on: 11/10/18 11:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/12/2018 1:42 PM ET

Despite the post-update problems I was finally able to both delete and add to my WL yesterday.

My problem is finding books to delete or move to my RL so that I can make room for new books on my WL.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Lost out on book
Date Posted: 11/12/2018 9:12 PM ET

I waited years for a book and just now got a message that because I hadn't confirmed I wanted it, it went to the next person on the list. Now I'm 9 of 9 waiting :( The upsetting thing is that I never got a notification that the book was being offered. I haven't changed email addresses, but I'm going to soon because this has happened too often with my comcast account. Does this happen to anyone else? Paperbackswap is not on my block list.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/15/2018 10:47 AM ET

Want your opinions.  Would you find it pushy if someone messaged you about a book that you posted that supposedly was on their wishlist and politely inquire if they were still interested and if not, could they please cancel?  I am on the 4th book that I am having to let time run out before someone else can request.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 11/15/2018 5:22 PM ET

Theresa--All of us are tired of the WL books timing out for multiple wishers, but I'm in no rush to mail out books so I just let the process happen.