Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: Postcard Swap for July-- CLOSED

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2017 9:13 PM ET

Vicky: 3

Ani: 0

I've received 3 postcards already!  The first was from Cathedral Falls,WV which Vicky told me is about 25 mins from where she lives.  It's very strking and, I would think, a good place to visit to regain a sense of peace.

Postcard #2 was from the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum which I immediately had to check into.  I was happy to see there are ghost tours as the edifice seems to inspire the idea of ghosts.

And yesterday I received one from Pittsburg, PA, where Vicky had just visited.

I need to get on the ball! 

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2017 9:25 PM ET

I pick up postcards today.  So I will be sending out later this week.  Going to the post office also to get postcard stamps. 

Last Edited on: 7/11/17 9:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2017 3:48 PM ET

Ani,

There isn't a scorecard for postcards.  I do get about a lot and I love sending happy mail.  Vicky

kimberlyrav avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2017 4:47 PM ET

Thank you REK for the great postcard of South Dakota! This state was one of my wishes to get a post card from. So happy to have it!

vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Date Posted: 7/13/2017 11:45 PM ET

Thank you, Diane R. salliebear ,   for the postcard of Congo the gorilla.  I love going to zoos and the Bronx Zoo is one that I haven't been to yet.

rissycloud avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/14/2017 6:35 PM ET

I received 2 postcards today! 

From Vicky T. (vickytA really neat Pittsburgh card at night with the skyscrapers!  Thank you so much for taking the time to send me another card while you were on your trip for Lee. I really appreciate this extra cheer today :-)

From Amy T. (amistada really neat card of George Washington Carver National Monument.  I just love seeing this!  Thank you so much for picking this one out for me. Would love to visit someday! :-)

goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/17/2017 10:05 PM ET

Another postcard from Vicky today recounting part of the Hatfield-McCoy history.  I watched a TV miniseries about this a few years ago (Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton) and became fascinated.  I read several articles and books about them so this was especially cool.  I am especially intrigued by this line on the postcard: "His gravesite (Hatfield)...is located off Hwy 44, neear Sarah Ann, West Virgina, a place that many maps fail to acknowledge."  Now, what is the story behind that?  

I looked all weekend for postcards and couldn't find any.  I'm headed to town this week so will look further.  

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2017 9:20 AM ET

I've got to find some Tampa ones.  I have Orlando ones but I'm much closer to Tampa so want to get some of those to send out!  We don't have those 'gift shops' you see all around Orlando.

conniej76 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/18/2017 11:41 AM ET

Got a cool card from Melissa yesterday from the university of Notre dame. I would love to walk around there. I think of the movie "Rudy". Thanks! :)

vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Date Posted: 7/20/2017 2:12 PM ET

Thank you, Towana, for the Chicago postcard.  I would love to convince Lee to visit there.  I have been working on him for two years.

rissycloud avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2017 4:23 PM ET

Hey everyone! I actually mailed some postcards out yesterday... so yay! Jennifer you can be on the lookout!

I received two wonderful postcards today!

Towana (ladypinkThank you for a surprise card from Chicago! It looks so beautiful with so much to see and do. I would love to visit Buckingham Fountain! Thank you so much for sharing another card with me... I appreciate the extra cheer.

Amy T. (amistadOh you surprised me some more! A card of the Rosalie House!  This is so gorgeous and I just love that it is an artsy place with bed and breakfasts. This is exactly the kind of place I would love to spend some time in. Looks relaxing and tons of fun.  I would love to see all of the creative things there.  Thank you so much!

conniej76 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/20/2017 4:46 PM ET

I got a nice postcard from Towana as well..pretty flowers.:)

goddessani avatar
Date Posted: 7/22/2017 9:21 PM ET

Another day, 3 more postcards!

A friendly little colour-your-own postcard from Vicky and a second one from Pittsburgh!

And a surprise postcard from Towana of Buckingham fountain!

The good news is I was finally able to find a postcard today to send out myself! 

candy14 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2017 11:06 AM ET

Thank you to Towana for the postcard from Chicago!  I love the skyline.  I do like to visit Chicago, although I haven't been there in a while except to drive through it.

Thank you to Amy for the postcard from Missouri!  That looks like such a peaceful place to walk.  I've never "visited" Missouri, although I have driven through it on my way to Louisiana.

kimberlyrav avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2017 11:37 AM ET

Loved the Chicago post card, Im using it as a bookmark, Towana!! I also got a load of Asylum postcard(which I asked for from VICKY T.) BEAUTIFUL!

luvmy5kidlets avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2017 1:45 AM ET

I have been meaning to send this thank you out for awhile now.......please forgive me.  I have been pretty sick, but I am hopefully on the mend now.  Thank you so much to Rebecca M from NC for the lovely notecard, postcard and darling stickers.  Your gift came at just the perfect time as I was feeling so down at being sick for so long!  It definately put a smile on my face and brightened my whole month.

(((HUGS)))

Jennifer (lumy5kidlets)

luvmy5kidlets avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2017 1:56 AM ET

Thank you so much to Michelle (rissyloud) for the lovely postcard  of the Pinetown bridge in PA.  Your area looks lovely!   I too love to go garage sailing!!   I was so excited to see the cute stickers and washi tape that you used to decorate the postcard.  I wouldn't have ever thought to do that...but now I will...thank you for the GREAT idea.  

P.S.  Your printing is beautiful!!

((HUGS))

Jennifer  (luvmy5kidlets)

kimberlyrav avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2017 12:19 PM ET

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know........Michelle ROCKS! lol She is highly creative.

Thank you Towana and Vicky for sending me postcards!

August sign ups are on now, Ive PM'd a few, the sign ups end at noon the 26th July. If your looking at this and havent signed up..WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! HURRY ON OVER NOW!

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/25/2017 8:12 PM ET

I received a lovely postcard from Sharon - The Garden of the Gods park in Colorado Springs, CO. 

Last Edited on: 7/25/17 8:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2017 7:31 PM ET

I received a nice Seattle postcard from Ani. Thank You!  I been to Seattle a few years ago.  I like the city and would go back and visit again. 

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2017 9:25 PM ET

I received a nice postcard from Amy - a place she likes to visit in Arkansas. 

goddessani avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2017 2:26 PM ET

Just wanted to report I received 3 more postcards last night!  One from Arkansas from Amy (thank you!), one from Boston and another of the House of Seven Gables from Vicky! 

vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Date Posted: 8/1/2017 3:37 PM ET

Boo hoo, I just walked in from vacation on have a mailing pod of mail.  I saw a few postcards on top but haven't read them yet.  Just taking a minute to relax before I unpack.  I will catch up with everything later this evening and thank those who sent me postcards.

Page: