Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Can I prevent a member from NEVER ordering from me again.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rosepainter avatar
Subject: Can I prevent a member from NEVER ordering from me again.
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 12:27 PM ET

Just wondering and if yes how do I do that?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 12:58 PM ET

No, sorry there is no way.

rosepainter avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 1:35 PM ET

Thanks Sara.  Think I just got treated badly by another member for a book I sent.  I'd rather not deal with her again.  I will just have to remember her name from now on.  I have considered leaving PBS over this matter. 

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 1:56 PM ET

Depending on how badly you were treated...you might consider contacting PBS about her. They won't intervene in a problem swap but if the member descended to name calling, or was downright nasty, they might contact her about her conduct. Yes, unfortunately you are not be the only one with a list of people you will not trade again with, mine is very short but I too briefly considered leaving PBS over a member's treatment of me...a day or two later I was able to put it into perspective and you'll be able to too. Most of us are great people but like any group there's always a few bad apples.

rosepainter avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 2:15 PM ET

Thanks Sally, your comments help.  I have been here since 2009, guess I better stay. 💝

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 6:42 PM ET

Sorry that happened to you.  Unfortunately sometimes people are just plain not nice.  Bit think of all the trades you have made somce 2009, surely the good out weigh the bad. yes

rosepainter avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 7:13 PM ET

You are absolutely right Rachel, thank you.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 7:44 PM ET

If you happen to get a request from this person again, just click the "cannot mail" button and it'll roll over to the next person.  It would remove the book from your bookshelf so wait a bit before reposting it, especially if there are only a few copies in the system.  Wouldn't want it to roll back over to you.

MrsGrim88 avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2016 1:00 AM ET

You guys are much nicer than I am. It would, of course, depend on the seriousness of the exception I took to other member's behavior, but it sounds fairly serious considering that the OP considered leaving over it. I would keep her name and tell her no. I'd probably also contact TPTB and request that my book not lose it's spot in the FIFO line in that particular instance. It may not be possible, but I would ask. I don't think it's unreasonable to refuse to trade with somebody who has proved themselves to be an unpleasant trader.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2016 8:48 AM ET

The flip side: Some time back I requested a book but it timed out. After a time I requested this book again but it went to the same sender and timed out again, the process repeated itself a third time although in the third instance the book arrived without being marked mailed. I sent a PM to the sender, got no response, so I took the situation to PBS who assured me this member was a 'good sender'. I was so fed up I couldn't bring myself to read the book, was sure the process would color any possible enjoyment.The upshot was that a fortnight later the sender sent me a PM asking if I still wanted the book! I replied in the negative.

Not to dash anyone's hopes but TPTB can be very unhelpful on occasion.

When this occurred I was still fairly new here and decided not to let this interfere with future book trades. Of course, at the time membership was free and media mail was at $1.59 for the first pound.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2016 10:35 AM ET

I keep a list of 'bad traders' I have had over the years.  Haven't had any more requests from any of them over the years.......too random with so many members and so many books.  Only way I could see that repeats will happen is if it's a book in a series where you will post later editions as you read them, then they might want another one.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2016 10:38 AM ET

I second what Mrs. Grim said!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/1/2016 8:24 PM ET

I'm so sorry this has happened to you Bonnie.  Most people on here are great.. But I know how mean someone can be.

rosepainter avatar
Date Posted: 12/2/2016 10:45 AM ET

Thanks everyone for your support.  It means so much.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 12/2/2016 12:20 PM ET

I understand not wanting to 'report' someone for bad behavior. But please consider that while you don't know that person's history here, PBS might. If they have never had a complaint, it isn't going to matter much (depending on the behavior), but maybe you will be the 4th or 5th complaint and 'the final straw'.

It only takes a moment to let them know that you find a particular behavior as inappropriate for the site.

Last Edited on: 12/2/16 12:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MrsGrim88 avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Date Posted: 12/8/2016 10:52 AM ET

I understand not wanting to 'report' someone for bad behavior. But please consider that while you don't know that person's history here, PBS might. If they have never had a complaint, it isn't going to matter much (depending on the behavior), but maybe you will be the 4th or 5th complaint and 'the final straw'.

It only takes a moment to let them know that you find a particular behavior as inappropriate for the site.

Yup. Yup. This exactly.

The rules were instituted for the purpose of having fair dealings. We are all responsible to adhere, as well as hold each other, to the rules for trading in order to maintain the standard to which we've become accustomed around here, otherwise, the whole thing fails.

Trust me. I grew up among some seriously shady characters and, in all their conniving, every one of them made the most of good people who didn't want to cause anybody any trouble. RWAP is not finking. It's calling a spade a spade. There's no need to apologize for seeing the truth, speaking of it, nor to feel a bit of guilt afterwards.

Don't look at it as pointing a finger at a fellow club member.

Instead, you're standing between your fellow members and a shitty trader. Dig? 

Last Edited on: 12/8/16 2:38 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
NancyInWI avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/19/2017 11:51 PM ET

I had the reverse happen to me and I was looking how to block.  

I ordered a book in mid December and it was accepted and marked mailed. I never received the book before the 26 days that PBS gives it,  so it was marked as lost in the nail and my credit returned a few days ago. Today I received eceived the book and it was postmarked 1/12. So obviously it hadn't been mailed. I asked the sender what happened. She was very flip "life happened" with no apology. She did say her father was ill,  she works full-time and the holidays happened. I replied that I was sorry about her father but a book shouldn't be marked mailed if it hasn't been. She replied that if I was unhappy I could return the book. 

I just don't understand people sometimes.